E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW Dinan software bug, enhanced with stage 2 Mod

11-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #89
sheedyslick
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Msport

Thanks for all the Bashing people. i really enjoyed your helpful information.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #90
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I was one of the early Dinan adopters. After my warranty expired I went to Cobb. I won't hesitate to go back to Dinan, however, once I get my M4 whenever it comes out and while its under warranty.

I thought the Dinan tune was a good tune in the sense that it was smooth seamless and had no issues with a good boost in performance. It was a good all-rounder. It also tries to keep the engine cooler by driving the water pump faster.

Most people fall into the trap of thinking that more aggressive = better when it comes to tunes and that just isn't the case. Dinan could turn up the wick too, if it wanted. But backstopping BMW's warranty and having the tune installed at BMW dealerships results in a more conservative tune.

A plus for some - dealership installed, forget about it, one size fits all - is a huge minus for others. So once my warranty expired I entered into a whole new world of options and performance with Cobb.

That handheld device with all it's choices, maps, updates and ease of use is killer in my books. So is the screaming performance. The support is phenomenal too.

So Dinan is a good option if you are concerned about warranty and aren't looking at setting a dyno or 1/4 mile record. In spite of what people say, it still transforms the stock 335 with a large increase in performance.

If you want more and aren't worried about warranty, then go Cobb. After three years with a S3 Dinan car, I threw in some downpipes, got Cobb and it's like I am driving a new car.
      04-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #91
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

I have dinan stage 1. i hate it becuase one i cant go to stage 2 without paying another 700 plus 2000 for an oil cooler. also. i dont think dinan has a built in downpipe fix (correct me if im wrong). How hard is it to go from dinan to cobb? and diy out there?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #92
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

No DP "fix" on the Dinan tunes, since they're CARB legal, and deleting cats is about as CARB-illegal as you can get (among a thousand other things). You should be able to install the Cobb tune right over any flash tune, right? Or do you have to get flashed back to stock?

If you're not under warranty, find a shop with an Autologic for BMW and get them to flash you back to the latest stock DME software (I have one). Takes about an hour (from pulling into the shop to pulling back out) since the BMW flash process is VERY slow. If you are under warranty, take it to a BMW dealer and have them do the DME update. Warning: They will have to update ALL the modules - can't do a selective update - which can take all day! So plan on leaving it with them.

Maybe start a new thread? This one is a bit old and talks about boost oscillations with Dinan, not specifically installing Cobb over an existing flash upgrade.

BTW - I have Dinan Stage 3, and I also have the boost oscillations. I was going to call Steve to see whether they have any kind of fix. However, before I condemn the tune, I am going to check everything on my end, first, especially any boost leaks or leaking diverter valves. Already have new injectors, coils, and plugs, cleaned intake ports every year for 2 years now, readjusted WGs on 68k mile old turbos, and stock everything minus what I listed in my sig. Mine is a very early July 2006 build.

Last edited by JamesM3M5; 04-25-2013 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #93
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedyslick View Post
I can afford Quality over Quanitity. We will see if Dinan lives up to it.
It's a flash tune, not hardware.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #94
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
I can afford Quality over Quanitity. We will see if Dinan lives up to it.
I had and still have lots of Dinan for warranty paranoia, but if I had to do it again Cobb (its amazing even though my car is being a prissy btch at the moment) or JB4 hands down. You are quite confused if you associate Dinan price as quality. And given the nightmare I just went through on other part installs I can't even recommend them over parting out a build for suspension, and other parts.

*Also the 335i tunes from them aren't even their most expensive
Quote:
Thanks for all the Bashing people. i really enjoyed your helpful information.
You can't insult people by saying you can afford x over y when that isn't the case and then expect everyone to respond perfectly. I tread carefully around here as it is with dinan parts , you just threw red on yourself and ran around the bull pen.

Last edited by M5Rlz; 04-25-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #95
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

But ...but what about their cool badges?!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #96
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
I have dinan stage 1. i hate it becuase one i cant go to stage 2 without paying another 700 plus 2000 for an oil cooler. also. i dont think dinan has a built in downpipe fix (correct me if im wrong). How hard is it to go from dinan to cobb? and diy out there?
Your car came with no oil cooler ? Your better off where you are at then. It is very easy to go from Dinan Conn, just take your car back to dealer and have them flash it back to stock before flashing the Cobb AP. Complain about the osscilation.

The reason why I am saying to have the dealer flash back to stock is to make sure every bit of the Dinan is removed whereas the Cobb can flash over it but may not be able to remove ALL traces of the Dinan on the DME which may have an impact on teh Cobb performance.

Btw get yourself an oil cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
BTW - I have Dinan Stage 3, and I also have the boost oscillations. I was going to call Steve to see whether they have any kind of fix. However, before I condemn the tune, I am going to check everything on my end, first, especially any boost leaks or leaking diverter valves. Already have new injectors, coils, and plugs, cleaned intake ports every year for 2 years now, readjusted WGs on 68k mile old turbos, and stock everything minus what I listed in my sig. Mine is a very early July 2006 build.
Nothing, that exactly what they are going to do and give you an excuse of its the BMW software which is BS. They are not going to update the software as teh N54 to them is a dieing plateform and will not waste resorces on it.

I been down this avenue with them plenty of times with Stage 2 and Stage 3 on both E92 cars ie my Previous 2007 335i E92 and my current 2011 E92 335is (which use to be on this car)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #97
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

OK, Dinan isnt the most powerful tune out there, most poeple who do research before buying a tune are aware if this, if they arent then they didnt check into it.
I had a 2008 Dinan s3(bought it from Steve Dinan) which was running fantastic until a software update from BMW which is when the problem similare to the op's started. It happened with stock but only when flooored in 3rd and 4th, and it was not the most noticeable unless you were one of thos that notic e any little thing.
After the Dinan reflash it became more noticeable. The tune exaqgerated the problem but it was already there.
On a side not for the tune pissing contest that always seems to happen when the word Dinan appears in a post(some people really get into the tune bashing). For those people i have a question, did your tune pay for new injectors, new turbos, new clutches and labor, or anything else that may have gone wrong with your car? How many have been denied warranty work because of thier tune? Hoow many have forgottent ot take out their tune or flash it to stock before going in for service? I never had to worry about any of that. Dinan may cost more but it saved me a metric shitload of money with thier warranty.
That beiing said, go be happy with your tune, and let the other people go be happy with their tune. The op wanted information to help with his decision, as usual much of it was just tune bashing and a lot was not based on personal experiences(some of it was from past Dinan users). I have never had a baby but i hear it hurts. Am i qualified to tell a woman how to have a baby? And she is not able to tell me how it feels to get kicked in the nuts. Get it? I am not qualified to speak about how Cobb or JB works, never had it, so i dont comment on them. I can say I heard from a second cousins third wifes brothers fifth grade teacher something about them but that is not personal experience.
I am not rich, I did not go with dinan because it was most expensive, I went with it because the reapoirs to the car are expensive and there were defnitie known issues that i did not want to have to pay fior later. It was a amtter of pay a little more now, or pay the surprises later. I chose what was best for me. if you dont like it , it really shouldnt matter because you are not driving my car. I may not like the color of your car, but it is your car. thats the beauty of it, choices, options, a variety of things to pick from and make yor own. Isnt it great to have more than one choice?
Had to dredge this up because i am looking into tunes for a 335. It is already out of warranty so I will be looking at cobb, giac or JB4 because in this situation those fit my needs better. There is a reason Dinan has been around for a while, like it or not.
      09-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #98
joepants23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 335is

Just installed on my 335is, the dinan free flow exhaust. I am def not getting the same sound as I was getting from the stock exhaust on the is model. However, after doing the stage 2 from dinan, the performace of the car has definately improved. any suggestions to get a louder sound?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #99
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepants23 View Post
Just installed on my 335is, the dinan free flow exhaust. I am def not getting the same sound as I was getting from the stock exhaust on the is model. However, after doing the stage 2 from dinan, the performace of the car has definately improved. any suggestions to get a louder sound?
Dinan FFE is not a loud exhaust, it just lowers the growl note a bit which some find very appealing but in terms of decibel increase...not much as far as I've heard if compared to the stock 'IS exhaust. Probably should have gone with the BMW PE.

On a dif topic, since you just went to an S2, any oscillation exaggerations?
      09-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #100
joepants23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Dinan FFE is not a loud exhaust, it just lowers the growl note a bit which some find very appealing but in terms of decibel increase...not much as far as I've heard if compared to the stock 'IS exhaust. Probably should have gone with the BMW PE.

On a dif topic, since you just went to an S2, any oscillation exaggerations?
I am not 100% sure what you mean by oscillation exaggerations, but I do shift differently with s2 since the peak hp with torque is different than the stock. I hardly ever drive that car without shifting (DCT). its really an amazing way to drive the car.

I was thinking about the BMW PE. I am very happy with the performace of the dinan brand, and decided to continue with his products. We will see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #101
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have now tried Cobb V3 and it is a pretty cool thing.
There was a question about flashing back to stock before installing cobb.
I noticed that when you install the cobb it saves a copy of your current software so that it can return to it should you uninstall the cobb. I am wondering if you were to install it without going back to stock would It restore you back to Dinan if you uninstall cobb?
As far as whether you have to get flashed to stock first it should not matter because the tunes change all the parameters that they need to have changed. The ones that are not changed are ones that do not affect the tune so it shouldn't matter but I would check with cobb or whoever you are going use because I am not sure.
      10-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #102
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
I have now tried Cobb V3 and it is a pretty cool thing.
There was a question about flashing back to stock before installing cobb.
I noticed that when you install the cobb it saves a copy of your current software so that it can return to it should you uninstall the cobb. I am wondering if you were to install it without going back to stock would It restore you back to Dinan if you uninstall cobb?
As far as whether you have to get flashed to stock first it should not matter because the tunes change all the parameters that they need to have changed. The ones that are not changed are ones that do not affect the tune so it shouldn't matter but I would check with cobb or whoever you are going use because I am not sure.
a mistake, you should have flashed your car back to stock before flashing the with Cobb. Its not too late though, you can return you car back to stock with the AP, then speak with your dealer who Dinan flashed your car, to return it back to stock. reason: too much oscillation....this is a known issue

When they flash your car back to stock you will have a fresh updated ROM to back up.
Appreciate 0