E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Damn squeaky brakes!!

08-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #23
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

normal
I would try to get aftermarket pads
      08-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #24
lablueboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonix214 View Post
This is interesting because I started getting the noise as well. I have an e90 330i 6MT and it mostly happens when the weather is extremely humid and hot here in MD. I took it to the dealer and they did the cleaning. The sound went away for about a week and it came back. I took it to the dealer again and they said it was normal (just like all the other posts here).

The squeaking noise gets really annoying. I'm usually lax about these kinds of things but this noise is pretty loud when the sound bounces off of the car starting off next to you from the traffic light. I sometimes hear it even over my music.

This noise is also very hard to reproduce, and does not squeak when I go to the dealership (go figure).

I'm sure they won't just replace the brake pads if I ask them to. Any other suggestions?

Drive it around for 10-15 minutes until you hear that squeaky noise, it will come on when the brake is hot, then take it to the dealer, and have the SA drive with you. That happens to my car too, I can hear it from both front and back wheels and was able to reproduced it for the service guys. Hopefully they will replace something.. I will find out later. It's ambrassing driving a 335 w/ noise like that when you pull from a stop light.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #25
SinCity89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego Blue

Brakes

They should. BMW knows about this problem. I had mine in 3 times and on the third they replaced rear pads and sensors. Squeek is gone for almost two months now.

Right off my paperwork

10291 Service due per round table found that the rear pads are squeeking due to sensor touching rotor. Replaced rear pads and sensor per round table 9/07.
Note the date. 9/07 so they have know since then.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #26
thefitter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Looks like I'm on my third go around with this issue. Both prior times they did complete brake jobs without any arguing once they heard it. I'm scheduled to take it in for a sunshade repair this week and I just started to hear it again today. It has only been a couple of months at the most since the last time they fixed it.

OP was about squeaking while starting from a dead stop. This is NOT NORMAL, do not let your dealers bullshit you.

The whole thing is just a pain in the ass inconvenience. Since I'm on my third event I wonder about the CA Lemon law applying???
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #27
Silvr&Blk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Jet Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitter View Post
Looks like I'm on my third go around with this issue. Both prior times they did complete brake jobs without any arguing once they heard it. I'm scheduled to take it in for a sunshade repair this week and I just started to hear it again today. It has only been a couple of months at the most since the last time they fixed it.

OP was about squeaking while starting from a dead stop. This is NOT NORMAL, do not let your dealers bullshit you.

The whole thing is just a pain in the ass inconvenience. Since I'm on my third event I wonder about the CA Lemon law applying???
I just brought mine into the dealer for a brake squeal when the car goes 10MPH or under when the brake are hot. Luckily they didn't bullshit me by saying they couldn't reporduce the sounds and actually took the wheel off and found the the rear brake sensor bracket was broken and was rubbing. Ending up replacing my pads too even though they were still at 70% to eliminate the noise completely.

As for CA lemon law, the law states:

During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

IMO - It would be a tough sell for squeaky brakes to qualify under the lemon law but since the magic number is 4 repairs, you might as well lodge a complaint on your 3rd visit and put them on notice that you mean business...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #28
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr&Blk View Post
I just brought mine into the dealer for a brake squeal when the car goes 10MPH or under when the brake are hot. Luckily they didn't bullshit me by saying they couldn't reporduce the sounds and actually took the wheel off and found the the rear brake sensor bracket was broken and was rubbing. Ending up replacing my pads too even though they were still at 70% to eliminate the noise completely.

As for CA lemon law, the law states:

During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

IMO - It would be a tough sell for squeaky brakes to qualify under the lemon law but since the magic number is 4 repairs, you might as well lodge a complaint on your 3rd visit and put them on notice that you mean business...
I have this same issue. When I'm in first and second gear I can hear it squeak. It gets louder especially when making right turns. I brought my car in today to get it checked out and the dealership called me back saying nothing is wrong with the brakes. Says everything is ok. Is there anything else that I can have them check? It's so damn annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #29
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

Just thought I would contribute...

Took it to the dealer w/ complaint of low speed rear brake squeak. They "cleaned and lubricated" the rear brakes, which I can confirm by visual inspection means they put some anti-squeal on the rear pads at the bare minimum. It's the copper colored stuff. Anyway problem solved for now.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #30
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb View Post
Just thought I would contribute...

Took it to the dealer w/ complaint of low speed rear brake squeak. They "cleaned and lubricated" the rear brakes, which I can confirm by visual inspection means they put some anti-squeal on the rear pads at the bare minimum. It's the copper colored stuff. Anyway problem solved for now.
i have a feeling that the sound will come back within a few weeks. keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 02:11 AM   #31
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Take

it

to

the

dealer.
+1
they completely replaced my brakes. calipers, sensor, you name it, they replaced it
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #32
m2kev
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I had my car serviced for this motha fudgin squeeking. They said they fixed it, but I still hear it. EEEEEEEEEEEK EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK, I hate my life. lmao
      12-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #33
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 SparkLiN G. 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
I'm used to this now. I've been to the dealer regarding this a total of 3 times, they tried fixing it and it worked for like a month or two, but eventually it comes back. All 335 owners have this because of the larger performance brakes compared to the normal ones.

|BL|RS|PIAA|CFE|CFMC|SSM|CFG|CFDP|ABG|M6|AFE|MTECH |RPI|JB+|CSLT|KWSC|
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #34
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJ335 View Post
I'm used to this now. I've been to the dealer regarding this a total of 3 times, they tried fixing it and it worked for like a month or two, but eventually it comes back. All 335 owners have this because of the larger performance brakes compared to the normal ones.
I wouldn't say it's strictly limited to the 335. I have it on my 330 too, but *thankfully* only in reverse.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #35
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I wouldn't say it's strictly limited to the 335. I have it on my 330 too, but *thankfully* only in reverse.

does going aftermarket brakes solve this?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #36
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

took mine to the dealer, they sprayed the crap on them, it solved the problem for about oh a day or two then it came back. we were told it was normal. when i get another chance i WILL be taking my car back to get this fixed. it's annoying as hell and shouldn't be "normal."
      12-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #37
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
yea, it pretty much happens on on e9x's. i took mine to the dealer and the tech said it's normal.
yup. it's common, had same thing, they 'cleaned' them during last service but it returned but not as badly half a year later...
      12-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #38
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
they need to replace instead of clean. I remember there was a service bulletin on the squeaky brakes. If you've taken it to the dealer 3x and they only cleaned them, I would take it to another dealer. I went to one dealer and they cleaned the pads, etc.. Sound went away for a couple weeks and it came back. So I took it to a different dealer and they replaced the entire caliper. Sound has not come back since May. Don't let the dealership tell you it's normal. It's not normal. It's common, but not normal.

The only difficult part is trying to reproduce the sound when you take it in and if you take it in first thing int he morning the brakes may not be warm enough to reproduce the squeaky noise so I would drive it around for a while
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #39
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

same problem here too.. sucks!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #40
Dillusion
is ross
France
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
yea, it pretty much happens on on e9x's. i took mine to the dealer and the tech said it's normal.
I took it to the dealer after reading some E92's have had pads where the sensor hits the rotor; told them that. They called me back said I was right and replaced all pads for free. I have an E90 too, not an E92...
      02-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #41
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

i just replaced all 4 pads last week and all my squeaking problems were gone...at least for now...

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #42
dtg
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

THANKS VERY MUCH!!! This is very informative and gives me hope --- I took my car in for the same problem and the Douche Bags told me it's normal and it's being caused by dust build-up on the pads because I do alot of stop and go driving with very light braking --- and that I should brake very hard from time to time to get rid of the dust... WTF!!!

Anyway, after reading this thread I think I have some ammo to go back with.

THANKS
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #43
Alpha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Like someone else stated, this is a common problem. Take this service bulletin to them. Also tell the dealer that you tried cleaning and sanding the brakes and that it only delays the problem(which is what it does) so you don't have to go like four times to the dealership.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B340808g.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #44
bbbc
Doorlock Fixed :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
Like someone else stated, this is a common problem. Take this service bulletin to them. Also tell the dealer that you tried cleaning and sanding the brakes and that it only delays the problem(which is what it does) so you don't have to go like four times to the dealership.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B340808g.htm
Wow thank you! I gotta bring this in with me ... last time I went, they told me there was no sound.

It really got on my nerves today as I was in a parking lot ...
Appreciate 0