E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Spirited daily driving: sport springs+Bilstein HD's?

08-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Spirited daily driving: sport springs+Bilstein HD's?

I am about to purchase a 335i, 2011 e90, sport suspension from the factory. While this is a pretty decent setup, I do have a set of Bilstein HD's in my garage from an intended install on a 328i that didn't happen. How much of an upgrade would this be? They should work with the sport springs, as I understand. I am happy with the 335i ride heigh: I drive in snow in the winter, and can't run a lowered car.

If I am going to do the install myself, what else would I need in terms of parts? Any other cost effective upgrade to check out since I am doing the suspension? Also, can you recommend a good manual or tech guide?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Bbox
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i sedan

Same question here. I like my standard sport suspension, but need to replace the shocks. Does anyone know the difference between Bilstein HD and Bilstein Sport? Is the HD ideal for the standard suspension, while the Sport is ideal for the Sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbox View Post
Same question here. I like my standard sport suspension, but need to replace the shocks. Does anyone know the difference between Bilstein HD and Bilstein Sport? Is the HD ideal for the standard suspension, while the Sport is ideal for the Sport suspension?
I hear the HD's work well with sport springs. Not sure about stock non-sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Just to add some facts to this thread for future searchers.... The Bilstein HD shocks work well and are recommended for both the sport and non-sport oem BMW springs. The Bilstein Sport shocks are recommended when using lowering springs like the eibachs or H&R sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
I am about to purchase a 335i, 2011 e90, sport suspension from the factory. While this is a pretty decent setup, I do have a set of Bilstein HD's in my garage from an intended install on a 328i that didn't happen. How much of an upgrade would this be? They should work with the sport springs, as I understand. I am happy with the 335i ride heigh: I drive in snow in the winter, and can't run a lowered car.

If I am going to do the install myself, what else would I need in terms of parts? Any other cost effective upgrade to check out since I am doing the suspension? Also, can you recommend a good manual or tech guide?
Here's a good coilover install video that you can check out:

You will need to rent a spring compressor additionally from autozone or similiar. I would also recommend getting a bentley manual. You'll also need to either cut out a socket like the one in the video or use an impact wrench on the front shock top nuts. There are some nuts and bolts that are recommended to be replaced also such as the top hat nuts and also the shock top nuts and pinch bolts and nuts to name a few off the top of my head. I would definitely recommend installing the Bilsteins, the stock shocks are crap...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Bbox
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Just to add some facts to this thread for future searchers.... The Bilstein HD shocks work well and are recommended for both the sport and non-sport oem BMW springs. The Bilstein Sport shocks are recommended when using lowering springs like the eibachs or H&R sport springs.
Cool, thanks!
Appreciate 0