E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Kw v2 install what threads/dampening setting?

03-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Turbopat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Kw v2 install what threads/dampening setting?

Im going to be installing my KW v2 and was wondering how many threads and what dampening I should set to for a mild drop?

I tried looking on KW website for adjustments but its all foreign and difficult to understand.

What did you guys who did it yourself run? Meaning how many threads and how many turns on dampening?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
m3whip
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | E90 330i

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [9.00]
BUMP
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Drives at Redline

Well, as a rule of thumb and from a performance standpoint, you would like to get the rear lower camber links to be perfectly straight across (180*) so that you are not changing the geometry of your suspension. With that being set up correctly, you will just want to corner balance your car and that will even out the ride height to what it should be.

If you would like it to be a little lower then you will need to equally lower each corner by a designated thread count. Keep in mind, if you align the car and drop it more than .5" it would be advised to re-align the car.

Hope some of this steers you in the right direction.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Turbopat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmotorsports View Post
Well, as a rule of thumb and from a performance standpoint, you would like to get the rear lower camber links to be perfectly straight across (180*) so that you are not changing the geometry of your suspension. With that being set up correctly, you will just want to corner balance your car and that will even out the ride height to what it should be.

If you would like it to be a little lower then you will need to equally lower each corner by a designated thread count. Keep in mind, if you align the car and drop it more than .5" it would be advised to re-align the car.

Hope some of this steers you in the right direction.

-Mike
I totally understand how the coil over system and install works! Im just looking for what a good thread count to start out from! Thanks though!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Honestly it's trial and error. The way I did it was I set all four corners to the highest setting allowed per KW's data sheet. I then took it around the block to shake things out and adjusted from there. The reason for a coilover setup is so you can set it how you like. You won't know what you like until you see it and ride in it. I only iterated two times before I got it right where I wanted.

As for the damper settings, someone else will have to speak to that. I got KW V1's so not adjustment for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Drives at Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopat View Post
I totally understand how the coil over system and install works! Im just looking for what a good thread count to start out from! Thanks though!
That's what I was trying to get across, you want to start out with your rear lower camber links at 180* and that should be an ideal thread count, whatever that may be.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Setting each side at the same thread count isn't necessarily going to give you the same height on both sides. The manual is in English and German. KW provides a recommended ride height and rebound recommendation as well. Start there. Mike's suggestion about the setting the rear height so the camber arms are parallel to the ground is right on. The springs will settle over 1k miles, especially the front. I'd set the rear where you want it and the front a .25-.5" higher than you want it. Set the rear rebound where KW suggests and maybe one click harder than suggested for the front struts.
      03-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
petelazro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Turbopat are you looking for year round driving? i see your in chicago so your winters are legit winters. from what i read 2 finger gap for year round driving should be okay. another alternative is to drop it as low as you want it during the summer and raise it up during the winter. but i am reading if you up/lower it more than .5 inch you need to realign. so that could add up.

I plan on doing the 2 finger gap since i am in toronto and dont feel like paying for an alignment twice a year.

Last edited by petelazro; 03-14-2014 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Turbopat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelazro View Post
Turbopat are you looking for year round driving? i see your in chicago so your winters are legit winters. from what i read 2 finger gap for year round driving should be okay. another alternative is to drop it as low as you want it during the summer and raise it up during the winter. but i am reading if you up/lower it more than .5 inch you need to realign. so that could add up.

I plan on doing the 2 finger gap since i am in toronto and dont feel like paying for an alignment twice a year.
My car is only driven in summer months so winter is no problem. I Guess I'm going to set it at the highest setting and then go down from there. As for dampening Im still clueless! Will post pics after install.
Appreciate 0