E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Hong Kong members, please sign in here for a meet!

Closed Thread

06-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #1387
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 G29

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinso
Oh, my mistake.....should be H7!!!
I still remember the H1 on my E36 in the old days

RikuE90, why do you buy the 4300k only? There is a whiter version of (~5000k if I remember correctly) from Philips. I used this one now and it looks ok. (cannot compared to Bi-xenon )

I saw the 5000K in the shops too....but is the 5000K blue-ish in color? I have used some >5000K blue-ish PIAA bulbs in my other car. I don't like the blue-color looks and my PIAA bulbs only last for about 6 months.

have you changed the fog light bulb too?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #1388
kelvinso
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 TiAg/Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuE90
I saw the 5000K in the shops too....but is the 5000K blue-ish in color? I have used some >5000K blue-ish PIAA bulbs in my other car. I don't like the blue-color looks and my PIAA bulbs only last for about 6 months.

have you changed the fog light bulb too?
Actually, the Philips 5000k is not so blue-ish but anyway 4300k will also be fine also as I used it for my E36 for years and the first set only burnt after working 2 years....Philips seems to have longer life than PIAA in my mind (but I don't know how durable now as it is now produced in our great CHINA)

Still considering the fog lamp....but might need a garage to do it...still choosing between 4300k or 5000k for the fog
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #1389
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Quote:
Actually, the Philips 5000k is not so blue-ish but anyway 4300k will also be fine also as I used it for my E36 for years and the first set only burnt after working 2 years....Philips seems to have longer life than PIAA in my mind (but I don't know how durable now as it is now produced in our great CHINA)

Still considering the fog lamp....but might need a garage to do it...still choosing between 4300k or 5000k for the fog

I was doing a bieft shopping for the fog light bulbs yesterday. It is difficult to find H11 bulbs. (I think it is H11, but not 100% sure). There aren't a lot of choices. I only saw PIAA has 4700K (or maybe 4900K) H11. I think I will ask a garage to do it too.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #1390
ksquare
Captain
Rep
Drives: 535 GT

Quote:
Aren't we all (Halogen owners) regretting for not ordering Xenon at the beginning...

What is a H1 bulb?

I just bought some 4300K Philips H7 bulbs to replace the existing ones.....hope to have time to do it this afternoon.

Anyone tried to change the fog lamp's bulbs? It looks quite difficult.
Since there are quite a number of us in this situation, maybe we should group together and approach the dealer to strike a deal. Failing which, we will lobby a group complaint to BMW international for discouraging us from upgrading and enjoying our cars even more. We should not be held to ransom just because we did not choose an option at point of order which a lot of us didn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #1391
HO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
HO, missed you a while.....
Me too....regret for not ordering Xenon at the very first beginning
Have you tried out other H1 blub? Last time, you told me Philips is not bright enough for you (I am still using it now). Any good suggestion ?
Hi Kelvin,

I am not notice there is a regional forum, that's why I am missing. I change to PIAA 4600k H7 bulb for a while . It is brighter than Philips 5000k but more yellowish . Hence I change back to Philips 5000k recently. And I have shopped around and cannot find other better choice.

I think it is a good idea to group together to bargain with BMW about the Xenon headlight issue.

Last edited by HO; 06-03-2006 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #1392
HO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oh, just checked with Valiant and my spoiler will be arrived sometime next week
RD, any points to note when installing this? Or you get someone to install this for you? I guess double-sided tape should be good enough
Should I wax before applying it?

Don't use double sided tap to install the rear spolier. I did it DIY using Betalink kit ( include cleaner, glue , spatula & sandpaper). It is not secure by using tape only. The spoiler is not perfectly fit the curve of the boot cover. It is easy for the 2 end to pop up except you install the carbon fiber rear spolier.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 05:01 AM   #1393
HO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks RD,

I was reading this DIY too.....and I need to buy a jack to jack up the car.

Maybe I should have some garage to do it.

I am also thinking to replace the foglight with 2500k light bulb as it is more visible in foggy or rainning condition.

In additon, I am still searching for 17 inch rims but cannot find one which has suitable offset for E90 (eg 17x 8J, ET34) and I am afraid using 18 inch( evenusing non- runflat tires) will adversely affect the performance . Any experience of using a light-weight 18 rims (eg BBS RE, Volks ...) with non RFT tire, how does it comapre with a stock 17 rim with RFT tire ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 05:04 AM   #1394
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: from Deutchland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO
Don't use double sided tap to install the rear spolier. I did it DIY using Betalink kit ( include cleaner, glue , spatula & sandpaper). It is not secure by using tape only. The spoiler is not perfectly fit the curve of the boot cover. It is easy for the 2 end to pop up except you install the carbon fiber rear spolier.
Kelvin, BMW recommends you use betalink so maybe you can ask Valiant if they have it.

As you know I am using double sided tape, it works fine for me. I didn't use betalink because i don't like to put glue ontop of my trunk
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #1395
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksquare
Since there are quite a number of us in this situation, maybe we should group together and approach the dealer to strike a deal. Failing which, we will lobby a group complaint to BMW international for discouraging us from upgrading and enjoying our cars even more. We should not be held to ransom just because we did not choose an option at point of order which a lot of us didn't.

Count me in if you are thinking of a group buy/upgrade.

$7000+tax vs. $42000 is just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #1396
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HO
I am also thinking to replace the foglight with 2500k light bulb as it is more visible in foggy or rainning condition.

In additon, I am still searching for 17 inch rims but cannot find one which has suitable offset for E90 (eg 17x 8J, ET34) and I am afraid using 18 inch( evenusing non- runflat tires) will adversely affect the performance . Any experience of using a light-weight 18 rims (eg BBS RE, Volks ...) with non RFT tire, how does it comapre with a stock 17 rim with RFT tire ?

Thanks

Ho,

I am thinking about changing the wheels too, but not too soon.

I am also afraid to have a heavier-than-stock wheel to drag down the car. From my inital research, BBS RE and OZ Ultraleggera are very light wheels....take a look!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #1397
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO

Thanks
I am using 18' with non run flat tires and it improves quite alot especially the cornering performance
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #1398
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Sport
I am using 18' with non run flat tires and it improves quite alot especially the cornering performance
RD,

Did you find the car take off slower when changing from 17" to 18"?

After driving with the run-flat for few weeks, I found it is quite uncomfortable and noisy as compared to the S-03 on my previous car. Also, the run-flat was quite bad during the heavy rain last week. Mine was hydroplaning a lot...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #1399
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep

Quote:
RD,

Did you find the car take off slower when changing from 17" to 18"?

After driving with the run-flat for few weeks, I found it is quite uncomfortable and noisy as compared to the S-03 on my previous car. Also, the run-flat was quite bad during the heavy rain last week. Mine was hydroplaning a lot...
Riku,

I can't feel the difference in terms of take off performance. But 1 thing is for sure, the RFT tires are extremely heavy and non RFT is lighter (at least it's my case w/ RE050A runflats vs PS2 non RFT) so maybe that will compensate for the bigger rims.

The RFT is very bad in wet conditions and rough surfaces. I still remember how slippery my car was thru the Lung Cheung Rd corners in dry conditions. The DSC symbol was flashing even though I am running at round 85km/h at the corners (rough, bumpy corners). Now after replaced with non RFT, I can turn the same corner at around 100km/h without the DSC flashing. If the road is ultra smooth, then the RFT is very good because it has a very stiff sidewall but definately not very good on public roads in HK
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #1400
ksquare
Captain
Rep

Guys,

Just got my car back and reached home. I have to say I'm quite impressed with the sound quality, even at this stage as it's not run in yet. I'm already planning the next upgrade path which is to change the rears and add another amp to drive it.

The workmanship is also good. The guy made a hole on the corner of the window (323 and below doesn't have the grill to house the tweeter) and it was made very subtlely, and blends in well. He also made a board just behind the seats to house the amp and capacitor, avoiding the need to have holes on the seats.

Two minor points though, the board was covered with a cloth slightly darker than the rest of the trunk. The other point was the speakers under the seats. He had to custom make a wooden plank to house the speaker instead of the original holder so that the speaker is held securely to the space, making it not possible to cover the speaker with the original cover from the car. Instead, he used the speaker's cover. As a result, the carpet is a bit untidy around that area. Nevertheless, it's not noticeable unless you purposely look under the seats.

And best of all, everything else worked perfectly in the car! No errors, nothing! Anyone of you can't wait for next weekend is free to come over to listen. I'll be needing to run in the equipment.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #1401
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep

Quote:
Guys,

Just got my car back and reached home. I have to say I'm quite impressed with the sound quality, even at this stage as it's not run in yet. I'm already planning the next upgrade path which is to change the rears and add another amp to drive it.

The workmanship is also good. The guy made a hole on the corner of the window (323 and below doesn't have the grill to house the tweeter) and it was made very subtlely, and blends in well. He also made a board just behind the seats to house the amp and capacitor, avoiding the need to have holes on the seats.

Two minor points though, the board was covered with a cloth slightly darker than the rest of the trunk. The other point was the speakers under the seats. He had to custom make a wooden plank to house the speaker instead of the original holder so that the speaker is held securely to the space, making it not possible to cover the speaker with the original cover from the car. Instead, he used the speaker's cover. As a result, the carpet is a bit untidy around that area. Nevertheless, it's not noticeable unless you purposely look under the seats.

And best of all, everything else worked perfectly in the car! No errors, nothing! Anyone of you can't wait for next weekend is free to come over to listen. I'll be needing to run in the equipment.
Thanks for the nice write-up. I guess alot of us would love to listen.

ks, you still haven't sign up on the meet calendar thread yet...

WARNING!!!

ASKING THE PRICE OF THE AUDIO UPGRADE OF KSQUARE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED AT THE MEETS!! THANKS FOR YOUR COOPERATION!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #1402
Neekulaz
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i SG/Biege/Walnut

Quote:
Count me in if you are thinking of a group buy/upgrade.

$7000+tax vs. $42000 is just ridiculous.
I am amongst the "lucky" ones who chose the xenon option at the time of purchase. My sales agent said I could change my rims and wheels elsewhere but I should get the xenon from BMW during purchase. I used to think that 10k for a xenon (with tax) is just a rip off - just a pair of headlamp anyway isn't it. But now knowing what BMWHK is charging for a retrofit it seems that my decision was right.

One thing to say though - the stock xenon isn't really that "white" as many people will like it to be. Never expect it to be blueish. I think it's around 5000-5500k.

As I've mentioned in my previous thread, the high-beam flash remains the yellowish quartz light. The fog lights are also yellowish. Of course, the BMW signature parking ring light is also yellowish. So everything is yellowish except the low-beam. In my view it isn't entirely satisfactory. I would like to have everything in white except the parking ring (to make it stand out a bit)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #1403
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekulaz
I am amongst the "lucky" ones who chose the xenon option at the time of purchase. My sales agent said I could change my rims and wheels elsewhere but I should get the xenon from BMW during purchase. I used to think that 10k for a xenon (with tax) is just a rip off - just a pair of headlamp anyway isn't it. But now knowing what BMWHK is charging for a retrofit it seems that my decision was right.

One thing to say though - the stock xenon isn't really that "white" as many people will like it to be. Never expect it to be blueish. I think it's around 5000-5500k.

As I've mentioned in my previous thread, the high-beam flash remains the yellowish quartz light. The fog lights are also yellowish. Of course, the BMW signature parking ring light is also yellowish. So everything is yellowish except the low-beam. In my view it isn't entirely satisfactory. I would like to have everything in white except the parking ring (to make it stand out a bit)
Our member 2020 has BREX rings, Orsam 6000k low beam and 4250k PIAA fog. Maybe you will be interested to check his car out on our meet
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #1404
Neekulaz
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i SG/Biege/Walnut

Quote:
P, how much do 18" rims cost approximately, say BBS 18"? Any huge difference from AC rims? How about decent 18" tyres? Seems people here do not use AD07...

What has made my hesitant in changing to bigger rims it that it seems 18" is too big for 320i and will significantly affect take off performance (which is already not so good)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #1405
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekulaz
P, how much do 18" rims cost approximately, say BBS 18"? Any huge difference from AC rims? How about decent 18" tyres? Seems people here do not use AD07...

What has made my hesitant in changing to bigger rims it that it seems 18" is too big for 320i and will significantly affect take off performance (which is already not so good)
I dunno the price of either BBS or ACS but my set of RD2 costs me around HK$16000 and my Michelin PS2 costs me around HK$7500

If you are worried about take off performance, you can use 225 all around and that will help abit.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #1406
ksquare
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the nice write-up. I guess alot of us would love to listen.

ks, you still haven't sign up on the meet calendar thread yet...

WARNING!!!

ASKING THE PRICE OF THE AUDIO UPGRADE OF KSQUARE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED AT THE MEETS!! THANKS FOR YOUR COOPERATION!
Thanks for the health warning RD I'll get some pictures of the trunk in the morning and post them for all to see.

Will sign up now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #1407
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
ksquare,

congratulations! hope to have a listen soon....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #1408
kelvinso
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 TiAg/Lemon

Quote:
Thanks for the health warning RD I'll get some pictures of the trunk in the morning and post them for all to see.

Will sign up now.
ks,
Love to see and listen to your setup next week
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread