E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Hong Kong members, please sign in here for a meet!

Closed Thread

06-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #1431
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: from Deutchland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksquare
I'm very surprised by the relatively small damage. I could really tell the difference between the e46 and e90 bodies. The e90 is definitely much softer. I could see and feel the body bend as I press on it. Especially noticeable area are the roof, side and bumpers.
Maybe softer body panels helps to absorb some impact forces and avoid bigger damage
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #1432
Neekulaz
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i SG/Biege/Walnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Sport
That's sad! So is the owner of that car willing to compensate you? Keep us informed on how it goes....

There are many careless drivers out there.....
Honestly I need to see if the police will take out any prosecution for careless driving. If the police prosecutes the other side, then I'll consider making a claim. If they prosecute me (which I will defend by all means - the police officer said it could happen because it was me who was cutting into the lane!!! That's crazy, my car was nearly completely in the lane already), then it will be the opposite.

If nothing happens, then I will just take the car to a garage for paint repair without claiming insurance...anyway, I'm glad to see that BMW E90 has a very solid built and the money spent is worthwhile. The only consolation I can get
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #1433
woo
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 323i collect on 13 Sep 06

Neekulaz,
Sorry to hear that, but do not forget to check the rear door and boot especially check to the open /close smoothness and the gap between the door and the body. If you find any uneven. Let the BMWHK or other good workshop inspect and claim the careless driver.

Last edited by woo; 06-04-2006 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #1434
kelvinso
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 TiAg/Lemon

Quote:
Riku, here is the DIY thread on replacing the fog lamp's bulbs.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6418
Guys,
I have replaced by fog lamp today to 4300k H11 bulbs. The above link is excellent to follow. No need to use the jack-stand. Just make sure you turn the wheel to one side to get sufficient space for the installation. For the 1st bulb, it took me 1 hour. While the 2nd one only took me 30 mins once I have mastered the procedure. Pretty tired though after the procedure

It looks better now with the 5000k Philips main lights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #1435
ksquare
Captain
Rep
Drives: 535 GT

Neekulaz,

Consolation is money well spent. The first prize is that you are alright, in good health.

I was recently involved in a car accident (no fault of mine and luckily not my new e90), and I'm thankful that I've escaped any serious injuries.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #1436
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinso
Guys,
I have replaced by fog lamp today to 4300k H11 bulbs. The above link is excellent to follow. No need to use the jack-stand. Just make sure you turn the wheel to one side to get sufficient space for the installation. For the 1st bulb, it took me 1 hour. While the 2nd one only took me 30 mins once I have mastered the procedure. Pretty tired though after the procedure

Good job, kelvin! I guess you will need a shower after that since it's so humid and hot today!

Look very nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #1437
kelvinso
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekulaz
Honestly I need to see if the police will take out any prosecution for careless driving. If the police prosecutes the other side, then I'll consider making a claim. If they prosecute me (which I will defend by all means - the police officer said it could happen because it was me who was cutting into the lane!!! That's crazy, my car was nearly completely in the lane already), then it will be the opposite.

If nothing happens, then I will just take the car to a garage for paint repair without claiming insurance...anyway, I'm glad to see that BMW E90 has a very solid built and the money spent is worthwhile. The only consolation I can get
Oh Neekulaz, Sorry to hear your accident. Hope you can claim the money at the end, but it may take quite a long time. My friend's E46 was crashed by a taxi few years back and the total repairing cost is 60k. It took him 1 year to get the money back even it was totally the mistake of the taxi driver.

Also amazed the E90 is that strong, as I feel the hood and the boot of E90 are a bit softer than my old E36.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #1438
kelvinso
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good job, kelvin! I guess you will need a shower after that since it's so humid and hot today!

Look very nice!
Yes, really dirty indeed, with two black hands and fully wet body afterwards.....surly cannot jump on my E90 without taking a big shower
But nice experience....I like DIY indeed
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #1439
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 G29

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Quote:
Guys,

Great Work......looks like I will work out a sweat myself too...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #1440
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Quote:
Had a minor car accident today

Was driving from Tokwawan to Cross Harbour Tunnel. When I drove up to the Hong Cheong Road (the road to tunnel) and trying to cut into the far right lane which is for autotoll car, a car from behind which I guess was speeding crashed into my right rim and surrounding area.

My car was around or more than 2/3 in the lane where the crash occured. The car behind tried to brake but failed because it was simply too fast. I heard braking sound before the crash.

Surprisingly, there were only a few minor scratches on my rear bumper, rear skirt, "sand board" and the right rear rim. Not readily noticeable. For the car behind (a rather old Japanese car), the left front bumper and the lights were all destroyed. Both front rims were scratched (the car also scratched on the wall of the other side)...

Refused to settle. Let the police officer took a statement. Let's see what'll happen in the next few days.

Given the minor damage, I think I may still attend the meet next Sunday (if I manage to recover from the psychiatric harm!)
Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, no one is injured.

I was in a car accident in March 2000. It wasn't my fault. The whole process of police ticketing and making claims took a long long time. The police took 7 months to investigate and I got a letter of not getting charged after that. My insurance company took care of the repair and was sueing the other parties for reimbrusment. Ending up going to court to tesify in 2005. I almost forgot the whole thing by then. Ended up the other parties' insurance company was willing to pay my insurance co.

I still have to pay for the depeciation and the deductable....which are not refundable even if my insurance company got money back. Also, I still lose some NCD even it wasn't my fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #1441
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuE90
Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, no one is injured.

I was in a car accident in March 2000. It wasn't my fault. The whole process of police ticketing and making claims took a long long time. The police took 7 months to investigate and I got a letter of not getting charged after that. My insurance company took care of the repair and was sueing the other parties for reimbrusment. Ending up going to court to tesify in 2005. I almost forgot the whole thing by then. Ended up the other parties' insurance company was willing to pay my insurance co.

I still have to pay for the depeciation and the deductable....which are not refundable even if my insurance company got money back. Also, I still lose some NCD even it wasn't my fault.
What a hassle!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #1442
Neekulaz
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i SG/Biege/Walnut

Thanks guys for all the very kind replies

I had a film camera inside the car so I took pictures of the crash and the two cars at the spot. I'll have the photos developed tomorrow and will then forward them to a friend of mine who works in the car insurance field and a barrister who has experience in road traffic cases for their comments and advice. By then I should be able to make a conclusion on the issue of liability.

Just reviewed my car insurance policy which states that in case of a potential claim, I should notify the insurance company immediately in writing. However, if the other side is not going to make a claim against me, I do not want to notify my insurance company of this at this juncture. Does anyone have experience as to when to notify insurance company. If I notify them, say, a week later, will that provide a ground to the insurance company to get rid of their responsibility?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #1443
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Quote:

I had a film camera inside the car so I took pictures of the crash and the two cars at the spot. I'll have the photos developed tomorrow and will then forward them to a friend of mine who works in the car insurance field and a barrister who has experience in road traffic cases for their comments and advice. By then I should be able to make a conclusion on the issue of liability.

Just reviewed my car insurance policy which states that in case of a potential claim, I should notify the insurance company immediately in writing. However, if the other side is not going to make a claim against me, I do not want to notify my insurance company of this at this juncture. Does anyone have experience as to when to notify insurance company. If I notify them, say, a week later, will that provide a ground to the insurance company to get rid of their responsibility?
I believed you have already got a Police report, right?

I called up my insurance company 2 days after my accident in 2000. They faxed a set of forms for me to fill up. Then I took a few days before sending back the forms. So, maybe you should call them up tomorrow. Only when they received the completed forms, they will start a case for you. Maybe this will buy you some time, say a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #1444
ksquare
Captain
Rep
Drives: 535 GT

For me, I just paid the cost of repairs myself whilst the police are investigating and did not notify my insurance.

But I did inform them together with a copy of the police report when I needed the insurance for my e90. The accident happened 2 weeks before I got my e90. No reduction in NCB at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #1445
sunnywuh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic325
Guys, haven't come to the E90 forum for a while.

I am shock to see the price for the retrofit on the E90 is $10k more than the E60. I got a quote from BMWHK earlier this year, and it is $31000 for parts & installation for my 5er.

If you guys are really doing the group lobbying, please count me in for this lonely E60 owner.

Hey Michael,

it's been awhile? So how are you E60 gang doing? Should we have some E60 & E90 joint gathering?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #1446
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Guys,

damn you kelvin ! I am jealous , and can you do mine as well
nice DIY job
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #1447
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnywuh
Hey Michael,

it's been awhile? So how are you E60 gang doing? Should we have some E60 & E90 joint gathering?

michael and your gang is most welcome
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #1448
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:

sorry to hear the accident, good thing is no person injury.

The police will not do anything unless either side officially file a complaint at the police traffic investigation office, statement will then be taken from both parties and start investiagtion, the police will decide if any one will be prosecuted. If you believe you are right, better for you to file the complain.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #1449
sunnywuh
Lieutenant
Rep

HI Neekulaz,

Reckless sunday driver + rain + sheer back luck.....we all have to be very very careful. But as long as you're not injured, it isn't that bad?!

I'd involved in both big (crashed by a City Bus) and small (rear ended by E36 Convertible) accidents. Poor me then, both were new cars. And, i have tons of friends involved in traffic accidents, some still have the case unsettled and end up going to Small Claims Tribunal. Car accident is simply pain in the axx!!!
i know how hard it is!

Whether or not to file a report against the insurance company, it all comes down to whether you're gonna make a claim w/ the Insurance. You have the police report anyway at this stage, so no rush!

I trust you are the right party. But based on the circumstantial evidence (which is not working to yr advantage becoz you were the one changing the lane) and lousy police investigation, you may NOT have your case.

Did by any chance the careless driver make an offer? If you can settle for less, you may consider take the compensation.

also suggest you to have a look at the gaps between body panels see if they fit well. Open the trunk & see if there is anything suspicious.

However small the accident is, there will be some negative psychological effect on you (well at least on me!!!), but you'll be able to shake it very very soon.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #1450
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Two roads expeiences to share:

Two roads expeiences to share:

1. Exit(from Cheung Sha wan ) to No.3 HWY always has laser gun. i got caught 99 over 70kmh on last Sat. at ~5pm ( I forgot to place my X50 detector ). Will show a map later.

2. Another 8 cars collision ( some cars hit real bad) this morning ( I must have withness 10 times in the same location ) , right after exit from Cheung Ching tunnel before Kwun Chung container port. The fast lane is very dangerous in the heavy traffic morning.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #1451
sunnywuh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, really dirty indeed, with two black hands and fully wet body afterwards.....surly cannot jump on my E90 without taking a big shower
But nice experience....I like DIY indeed

Damn you Kevin, what a monsterous work you've done! Kidding. well i'm obviously jealous. But i remember read it from somewhere that yellowish light is the best in cutting through the fog?

How much does it cost you, other than lots of sweat and hard work?

I guess w/ a pair of foglights that powerful, you are not afraid of "Dai Mo Shan" anymore! way to go my friend!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #1452
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:

most insurance company require you to file the case with them within 7 days, you can call them and check if you can simply file the case first but not start the claim process, this at least get yourself protected.

the risk is if the other side file the complain to police and claim you back thru his insurance company and you do not file the case with your insurance company plus pass 7 days, your insurance company not cover you , then you run yourself into trouble.

I had similar accident many years ago (98 or 99), a 20 yrs old young driver hit my rear bumper, and refuse to settle. I file the complain to police, statement taken, police prosecute him for careless driving, I got a new bumper and repaint at the dealer, the total job cost about HK$26xxx. I paid deductible 6K, after more than a year, my insurance company claim back the deductible but not full amount, i got 5100 back. My insurance agent (he is my buddy) told me better to accept this money back, I can still reject and request for full 6K but don't know how long it will take and whether successful or not. Bad thing is I lose 20% NCB even though this is not my fault and need another 2 years to earn it back.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread