E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What Can I Do for You?

06-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #111
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I always tell my customers to remember this.... dust may look bad temporarily, but swirls look bad permanently!

I personally don't recommend dusters or even quick detailers for removing dust/pollen build up. I would recommend rinseless washing with Optimum No Rinse every couple of days if you must as I feel the rinseless washing provides far more lubrication than quick detailers or especially dry dusting.

Call me paranoid... but better safe than sorry

-Zach
I would call you well informed which is why i asked!! Thanks for the info. I will be ordering some No Rinse soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #112
emapway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
There is no way to know for sure. Optimum claims that their coating provides 1-2 microns of total thickness once it has cured. A light polish could remove this much material, or it could not. Due to the unknown, I have always recommended NOT polishing on top of a coating unless your intention is to remove it or if you are planning on reapplying a new layer afterwards. We recommend our customers come see us every 2-5 years depending on vehicle use and maintenance habits for light polishing and coating reapplication.

Instead of a wax, I would highly recommend something like Optimum Opti-Seal for added protection on top of your Opti-Coat.

-Zach
Thanks for the tip!

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:46 AM   #113
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 2009

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Quote:
I always tell my customers to remember this.... dust may look bad temporarily, but swirls look bad permanently!

I personally don't recommend dusters or even quick detailers for removing dust/pollen build up. I would recommend rinseless washing with Optimum No Rinse every couple of days if you must as I feel the rinseless washing provides far more lubrication than quick detailers or especially dry dusting.

Call me paranoid... but better safe than sorry

-Zach
Do i need to wax after i Use the Optimum Wash and Shine??

What about acrylic sealant
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #114
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputme View Post
Do i need to wax after i Use the Optimum Wash and Shine??

What about acrylic sealant
Optimum No Rinse does not have any protective properties, so you can chose to use a spray wax if you wish to add some protection. I personally like to use Meguiar's D156 during my rinseless washes. Simply mist some D156 onto the wet panel before you dry it and then you are adding some protection while you wash... quick and easy!

ONR will not remove existing waxes or sealants, so there is no need to reapply just because you are washing. If you're in need of a new layer of protection, then it is always a good idea to reapply your favorite wax every 1-2 months or sealant every 4-6 months to maintain protection. If you're like me and use nano-coatings on your vehicle then there is no need to add a wax or sealant.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 04:38 AM   #115
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Optimum No Rinse does not have any protective properties, so you can chose to use a spray wax if you wish to add some protection. I personally like to use Meguiar's D156 during my rinseless washes. Simply mist some D156 onto the wet panel before you dry it and then you are adding some protection while you wash... quick and easy!

ONR will not remove existing waxes or sealants, so there is no need to reapply just because you are washing. If you're in need of a new layer of protection, then it is always a good idea to reapply your favorite wax every 1-2 months or sealant every 4-6 months to maintain protection. If you're like me and use nano-coatings on your vehicle then there is no need to add a wax or sealant.

-Zach

Thanks,

My Order of No rinse wash and Wax will be here tomorrow. Can you tell me how many washes will a Gallon last?

Another product that always baffled me was Armor All Shield

What is your opinion on these??

regards

Last edited by kaputme; 06-10-2016 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:51 AM   #116
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Anything??
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #117
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

I have never seen it or used it, and cannot find it on their website, so I can't really provide any feedback on that exact product.

Based on their video, I can recommend many products that will yeild similar results, though you shouldn't be fooled by their marketing... the super hydrophobic properties will fade over time, so it will not repel dirt and water that easily forever.

A high quality paint sealant is an inexpensive and easy approach to protecting your vehicle and making it easier to maintain. My personal favorites are Blackfire Wet Diamond and Menznera Power Lock.

Nano coatings provide significanly more durable protection, but require a lot of prep work, time for installation, and have a significantly higher product cost. These are our choice when it comes to protection, and I would highly recommend any of the 22ple Coatings due to their ease of use and awesome performance.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #118
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Bug season is here! I have a hard time removing bug splat on my clear protection film, what is a good proactive way of protecting the film so the splat washes away easily?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #119
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

A good layer of wax or sealant is always a good idea. My personal favorites are Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menznera Power Lock.

Even more importantly is removing the bugs immediately... if they are allowed to sit, they can be very difficult to remove and can even cause permanent damage within the film. I recommend carrying towel and a bottle of your favorite waterless wash or quick detailer in the car with you so you can give the front end a quick wipe down when it get splattered with bugs. This takes 5 minutes to do and saves a bunch of work later.

It also always helps to have a good bug remover on hand for those stubborn bugs that don't come off during traditional washes. I have been testing and really like the GTechniq W8 Bug Remover with the DI Bug Sponge.

Hope that helps!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #120
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #121
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Quote:
A good layer of wax or sealant is always a good idea. My personal favorites are Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menznera Power Lock.

Even more importantly is removing the bugs immediately... if they are allowed to sit, they can be very difficult to remove and can even cause permanent damage within the film. I recommend carrying towel and a bottle of your favorite waterless wash or quick detailer in the car with you so you can give the front end a quick wipe down when it get splattered with bugs. This takes 5 minutes to do and saves a bunch of work later.

It also always helps to have a good bug remover on hand for those stubborn bugs that don't come off during traditional washes. I have been testing and really like the GTechniq W8 Bug Remover with the DI Bug Sponge.

Hope that helps!

Zach McGovern
www.DetailPeoria.com
Hi,

Are Menzerna Power Protect Ultra the same as the Power Lock? Where does one product Excel and one fail??
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #122
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Are Menzerna Power Protect Ultra the same as the Power Lock? Where does one product Excel and one fail??
Hi,

I have not used Power Protect Ultra, however I do know that it is not the same as Menzerna Power Lock.

Power Lock is a dedicated paint sealant. It does not contain any polishing properties, and is only used for protection.

As I understand it, Power Protect is more of an All-in-One or paint cleaner type of product. This means the product has some polishing abilities to it (low cut, high gloss) and some protective properties to it as well.

My experiences with other All-In-One products is that they are not as good at polishing as a true polish, and they are not as good at protecting as a true sealant. They are just OK at both... but they can be a great time saver if you are unable to a complete polish and sealant process independently.

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #123
BahnBurner
Rep
Drives: '10 328

Hello Zach,

I was recommended to ask for your advice. My BMW was in a hit&run last night and the car that hit me left me with an eyesore of a front bumper. Luckily for the most part the damage doesn't appear to be too deep and seems somewhat salvageable.

Here is a link to the original thread with the images and further detail: (I didn't think it would be right to re-post the whole thing here)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9#post20182449

Thanks in advance,
-T
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 05:10 AM   #124
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Quote:
None that I can think of

Unfortunately it is impossible to have a completely perfect vehicle... no matter how careful you are. It is common to develop light defects over time, however using proper maintenance practices will drastically reduce the amount of defects and the severity of defects making it MUCH quicker and easier for you to remove them whenever you decide to polish the vehicle.

I would recommend using your spray wax/quick detailer while you dry. Here is what I do....

- Wash the vehicle using the 3 bucket wash method
- Sheet the majority of water from the surface
- Spray a panel lightly Meguiar's D156
- Dry Panel
- Move onto next panel... spray with D156, dry
- Repeat until car is dry

D156 is called a "spray wax" but it is a completely synthetic product that contains no actual wax, but it does add a temporary layer of protection while boosting slickness & gloss. It is my absolute favorite quick detailer/spray wax. This process can be used with other spray detailers/waxes, too... I just find D156 to be the easiest to use.

Product Review: Meguiar’s D156 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax by Zach McGovern

Hope that helps!

Zach McGovern
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
I was just refreshing my Detailing memory and saw this.. When you say Dry, do you do it with a waffle weed towel or a Microfiber towel, if so which one?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #125
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Quote:
I was just refreshing my Detailing memory and saw this.. When you say Dry, do you do it with a waffle weed towel or a Microfiber towel, if so which one?

thanks
Found the answer later on.. thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #126
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Off The New View Post
Hello Zach,

I was recommended to ask for your advice. My BMW was in a hit&run last night and the car that hit me left me with an eyesore of a front bumper. Luckily for the most part the damage doesn't appear to be too deep and seems somewhat salvageable.

Here is a link to the original thread with the images and further detail: (I didn't think it would be right to re-post the whole thing here)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9#post20182449

Thanks in advance,
-T
I'll have a look and share any insight I can in your existing thread

Quote:

thanks
Yes, dry with a waffle weave towel or other high quality drying towel
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #127
Rulz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530e 2018 / X3 G01 2019

Rims...

Hey zach, first at all, thanks a lot for your help to the forums. I would like to know if by any chance do you know how can I clean my rims. It got spill with degreaser and look how they are now. I was thinking since they are glossy black painted to do the same as it would have been spill into the car, just polish it.

But so you have any idea how to restore it as it was.

They are not dirty. I just cleaned them for the pic still looks like that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #128
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

You can try to use a polishing compound on them to remove the staining, but unfortunately every instance that I have seen staining like that, the wheels are ruined and need to be refinished (painted or powder coated).

This type of staining is usually caused by spraying a strong cleaner onto a warm wheel and/or letting the cleaner dry before rinsing it off. You need to be very careful, only clean wheels when they are completely cool to the touch, and only use products that are safe for use on wheels.

Best of luck.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #129
Rulz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530e 2018 / X3 G01 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You can try to use a polishing compound on them to remove the staining, but unfortunately every instance that I have seen staining like that, the wheels are ruined and need to be refinished (painted or powder coated).

This type of staining is usually caused by spraying a strong cleaner onto a warm wheel and/or letting the cleaner dry before rinsing it off. You need to be very careful, only clean wheels when they are completely cool to the touch, and only use products that are safe for use on wheels.

Best of luck.

-Zach
Thank you very much. So you think I have to repaint the rims ? Damn. :/
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #130
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulz View Post
Thank you very much. So you think I have to repaint the rims ? Damn. :/
Exhaust all other options beforehand, but my experience is that you'll likely need to have them refinished.

In the meantime, try other chemical cleaners, and try polishing the wheels to see if you can make any improvement. I've never had much luck though.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #131
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Hello Zach,

Happy Friday, following two items, do they fulfill same purpose and can I use both on my car one after other?

1. Adam's Paint Sealant
2. Sonax Polymer net shield
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #132
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Hello Zach,

Happy Friday, following two items, do they fulfill same purpose and can I use both on my car one after other?

1. Adam's Paint Sealant
2. Sonax Polymer net shield
Yes - both products are synthetic paint sealants meant to provide protection from environmental contamination.

You can apply both, but it would be unnecessary and wasteful in my opinion. I am a big fan of Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

Product Review: Sonax Polymer Net Shield by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Appreciate 0