E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Preview: Lux Angel Eyes for LCI Halogen (They're back!!)

02-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Preview: Lux Angel Eyes for LCI Halogen (They're back!!)

See Second Post for update as of Feb 27 2012 and some tips on installing the unit on the drivers side!

Hello everyone!

I've been after Marc from Lux angel eyes for the longest time to make something for LCI Halogen headlights, to a point that I'd email him every week for an update on what the progress is. (Note: there has already been a product for the "ZKW" halogen headlights, but I have the "Valeo" ones.) Back in December, he sent me one of the designs to try it out, however it did not fit as was expected and he told me he'll bring back his previous design. Again the weekly updates started in January and finally first week of February he sent me his new design (similar to previous LCI design):

Name:  A.JPG
Views: 18596
Size:  179.4 KB

Shipping/Customer Service: Lux has always been great with customer service and this was no exception. Even though I emailed Marc every week, he was awesome at immediately replying back and updating me on the progress. Shipping was fast too!

Due to my work schedule, although I was REALLY excited to put them on my car, I did not get a chance until a few hours ago. I've never changed a headlight bulb on any of my cars so I was kind of delaying it as well so I don't have to do it myself lol. Marc did send me his LCI Halogen install guide which I had to read a few times to understand what I have to do and finally give it a shot (Had another forum member help me out in the last try so I kind of had an idea on what to do - The best advice, make sure the car is not hot!)

Installation: On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being impossible), I would have initially given it 11 since I had no experience with changing the headlight bulb. However, I started with the passenger side and replacing the bulb took me about 15 mins maximum! It was as simple as taking the other bulb out and put LUX in place of it - perfect alignment for the screws. Replacing the passenger side is really easy! Definitely a 1. I was most worried about dropping one of the screws in the car so I was being extra careful. Although I did end up dropping a small flashlight in the car engine after the install lol. Thanks to my wife she was able to help me out with that!! IAs you'll see from the pictures, I haven't even touched the drivers side yet. The space seems quite less to work from the top but I'm still going to give it a shot tomorrow. If anyone have any suggestion, please do let me know! I'll definitely update on how that goes.

Performance: After turning them on, I was AMAZED at how bright they look, especially that both the rings have equal brightness. I absolutely love the new look. In Canada, DRLs are mandatory, but I got them coded previously so having only the AEs turn ON, looks really really good! Also haven't driven too much after the install but no errors so far.

Right now, I did not get a chance to try them out in the day. Once I replace the driver's side tomorrow, I'll take more pictures in daylight. (Being here in Toronto, hopefully it's not snowing, raining and is bright!)

Without further delay here are a few pictures that I was able to snap. I don't know how people take pictures from far so the rings shows properly so if anyone can let me know what settings I need on the camera, that would be great. Also please excuse the dirty headlights

In all the pictures, passenger side is LUX and the drivers side is stock:

Brightness:

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 4514
Size:  127.7 KB

Comparison of LUX to Stock:

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 32376
Size:  117.9 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 27009
Size:  115.8 KB

Another angle:

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 4425
Size:  125.1 KB
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 4395
Size:  124.7 KB

My failed attempt to capture them from a distance - Please tell me how I can take it properly? It seems bluish but its definitely not.

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 50593
Size:  65.0 KB

I'll update this further with more pictures soon!!

Thanks Lux for helping the halogen folks out!

Last edited by itrocks4u; 02-27-2012 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE TO THE FIRST POST - Update: Feb 27 2012

After the initial installation of the passenger side, I kind of came to a stand still as I had no idea how to install the drivers side. There is absolutely no way to access the AE from the top. After doing a lot of reading and asking around, I realized the only option is to go through the wheel fender. Problems I ran into: Did not have the right jack! Or the 8mm and 10mm sockets that I needed. Hence I had to wait a full week to install them due to working 14 hours a day, every day!

Driver's side installation:

If you're doing it for the first time, it's not an easy task due to which I would give it a 9 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest. For anyone who needs to know how this is done, here's what I did:

Tools required:
- 8mm and 10 mm socket
- 17 mm wrench

1) READ Lux Angel eye guide for pre-lci. Mark does a really good job in explaining how to open the wheel fender, with all the screws marked. I did note that I had to take 2 additional 8mm bolts out from the bottom, but you'll be able to find them easily.

2) I used a jack to lift the car up. Note: I first tried to take the wheel off but for some reason even after taking off all the lugs, the wheel just didn't want to come off, like it was frozen So I turned the wheel fully out, jacked it up and realized that there is more than enough space to access all the bolts. Just be careful with it. Have a proper and secure jack!

3) After loosening all the nuts, I started to pull on the fender to see how to take it off. Mark's guide again (for pre-lci) explains how to do it so make sure to read that. Take note of how you took it off so you can put it back on in the same manner. Use passenger side for reference.

4) Once the fender was out, the rest of the process was easy. I did use some help, as it was hard to see the stock AE screw on the inside. Just guide the person going through the fender while viewing it from the top.

5) Follow Mark's LCI Halogen guide for installing the unit itself which is fairly easy. Also both units are exactly the same so it doesn't matter which one you plug on which side.

Here are a few more pictures I took today:

Early evening, not facing the sun directly:

Name:  1 - front - 5pm.JPG
Views: 4156
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  2 - front - 5pm.JPG
Views: 38351
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  2.5.JPG
Views: 4130
Size:  47.0 KB

Facing the setting sun directly:

Name:  3 - Direct sun.JPG
Views: 27033
Size:  61.9 KB

Night:

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 26496
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 4195
Size:  60.0 KB

OVERALL CONCLUSION

LOVE the new look. I didn't change the yellow low beams to white and honestly, it doesn't look bad! During the day though, I like the white AEs!

Last edited by itrocks4u; 02-27-2012 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
aynahko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Bump for an awesome product! I was fortunate to get one of the earlier models when I first got my lci and have had no issues for over 2 years now.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Shadow294578
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Words can not express how happy this news makes me. I have been waiting for a very long time for this!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow294578 View Post
Words can not express how happy this news makes me. I have been waiting for a very long time for this!
Haha same. I was impressed at how bright it looks compared to the stock. Love it. Didn't get a chance to complete the install today though sadly.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
RonDeezy
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Avus Blue

Garage List
Finally! ive been waiting for lux to come thru!
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E93 335i, S50 E30 325i

Yessssss Finally! When Will They Be Available?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Available here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11382709

Thanks for posting up all the pictures!!!!!

Pricing and all information available in the link above
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
saizen21
Rep
Drives: 328xi

just wondering, since these are sooo bright wouldnt this blind the f**k out of somone driving infront/opposite direction as u, and wouldnt these burn out really fast?...sorry im kinda new to thes car lights
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

updated for more pictures!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Love the new pics!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
flynhi2008
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91XI Touring

I also live in toronto and am looking to change my angel eyes. Have you noticed any issues with flickering when turning the car on? Any videos? Do you know the differences with hid to led? Pros,cons?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Wow those look really bright. This is for sure going to get alot of sales. The AE's even look like they have better light distribution than the Xenons and coupes!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhi2008 View Post
I also live in toronto and am looking to change my angel eyes. Have you noticed any issues with flickering when turning the car on? Any videos? Do you know the differences with hid to led? Pros,cons?
I'm in Toronto as well - GTA area if you want to check them out in person.

But no flickering and they are very bright indeed, especially over stock. HID and LED is a completely different story.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Wow those look really bright. This is for sure going to get alot of sales. The AE's even look like they have better light distribution than the Xenons and coupes!
They are pretty bright, but when you see the new 2012 E92, your jaw drops. Those are a different league.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
flynhi2008
Canada
Rep

So no flickering even when you start the car? That's good news. I've been doping some research on the angel eyes which I want to get for my '09 e91 - white like yours but also wanted to compare with hid angel eyes which I don't know much about in terms of band comparison. My main concern about the lux was that they flicker when starting. Any opinions in hid vs led? I also wanted to ask you about getting them recoded. My daytime lights are my highbeam on a lower voltage. How much did the dealer charge?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
Dziqsek_
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: e91 320d

You have halogen or xenon ?? By your post about drl as high beams i assume you have halogen lci so you can forget about hid angel eyes, only LCI xenons can have hid AE and its different league than lux ae , i have them in my car and sell them after a month , not visible in full sun and since drl are mandatory in Poland ( like in most europe countries these days) i bought philips premium h8 bulb and increase voltage a bit and they are 200% more visible in direct sun as lux that costs about 20 times as much ....
Next step for me will be hid AE sorry for vendors but luz are just not worth the price
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
flynhi2008
Canada
Rep

Yes I have halogens. So you are saying that my only option is an led ae? Sorry for the ignorance lci = led? There are no hid Ae conversion kits from halogen ?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #19
Dziqsek_
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: e91 320d

Quote:
Yes I have halogens. So you are saying that my only option is an led ae? Sorry for the ignorance lci = led? There are no hid Ae conversion kits from halogen ?
No , they are far different in construction plus lci xenon AE standard bulb is 35w and lci halogen is about 10w
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So no flickering even when you start the car? That's good news. I've been doping some research on the angel eyes which I want to get for my '09 e91 - white like yours but also wanted to compare with hid angel eyes which I don't know much about in terms of band comparison. My main concern about the lux was that they flicker when starting. Any opinions in hid vs led? I also wanted to ask you about getting them recoded. My daytime lights are my highbeam on a lower voltage. How much did the dealer charge?
What part of Toronto are you in?

Yea, no flickering when the car starts. Actually, I've never even noticed that. I don't think it would do that though being halogens.

I read one thread on HID Angel Eyes but the process seems far too complicated for me to handle. And I don't know if this is for halogen lights or xenons only. If HID angel eyes was really a plug n play kit, I would have definitely given that a shot but from the thread below I don't think it's that easy. Here's the link:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623634

With regards to the coding, dealer won't do it for you. I actually had one of the forum members code the car for me. So my high beams are off and my angel eyes are my DRLs. The white AEs looks amazing, and the weather works out for us since in Toronto recently you hardly see completely sunny days. You can pm Desi4life10 on the forums and let him know i told you to contact him.

I'll check the light flickering tonight or tomorrow and let you know for sure. I don't recall seeing any flickering at all though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
AnotherCar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Corvette 3LT Z51

Looks good
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #22
flynhi2008
Canada
Rep

I'm central - Ossington and Harbord but am willing to meet up. Im reading that the lux are a good brand and the brightest to go with in terms of led. I'm just conerned about the flickering and am wondering if they perform as well as hid's do. Also does lci = led?
Appreciate 0