E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan users;

10-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Dinan users;

If I'm reading the Dinan website correctly, adding their recommended CAI and FFE to a Dinan flash(in my case a stg 2)for a cost of around $3100 + 3.4 hrs labor only yields an increase of 12 Hp and 13 ft-lb torque.

I already have the flash and am quite happy with it along with the extra added warranty coverage but to add an extra 12hp/13tq at the prices quoted above seems a bit ridiculous, or am I missing something?

Seems like there are better ways to spend less and get more, no? FMIC or even an LCD come to mind as good examples, yes? No interest in meth or DPs.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Shortseller, I know this isn't what you want to hear but with Dinan you're very limited in the amount of power you can make and the HP/$ ratio is just terrible.

I'm genuinely not trying to bash Dinan or anything like that but it's just the reality of the tunes. Sometimes Piggybacks can't fuel and sometimes Cobb has boost control issues but Dinan is always expensive and comparably weak.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you really are happy with that Dinan tune, my suggestion would be to get a FMIC next.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Shortseller, I know this isn't what you want to hear but with Dinan you're very limited in the amount of power you can make and the HP/$ ratio is just terrible.

I'm genuinely not trying to bash Dinan or anything like that but it's just the reality of the tunes. Sometimes Piggybacks can't fuel and sometimes Cobb has boost control issues but Dinan is always expensive and comparably weak.
No offense taken, your observations are spot on. But weak is a relative term, and in my case for "around town and back country road fun" the Dinan 13 psi offered is plenty plus the fact that it came with a backing warranty was very important to me, so I considered it money well spent when I picked up the stage 2 flash. But when I was looking to tweak what I have, adding an intake or exhaust(likely next steps) I was unpleasantly surprised by the exorbitant cost asked of Dinan loyalist to just add a few extra hp/tq. And even more so if one considers the stage 3 which adds another .5 psi at a whopping 10k total price tag. Wow!

Just a bit of venting I guess and looking for advise to the second part of my original post, where to spend less and get more. My guess an FMIC is next, to which might or might not be Dinan sourced but it's my belief that this will add the next best bang for the buck towards an improved driving experience.

I appreciate your considerate approach in responding to my post!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
If you really are happy with that Dinan tune, my suggestion would be to get a FMIC next.
Yes, it looks to be my next best option. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
No offense taken, your observations are spot on. But weak is a relative term, and in my case for "around town and back country road fun" the Dinan 13 psi offered is plenty plus the fact that it came with a backing warranty was very important to me, so I considered it money well spent when I picked up the stage 2 flash. But when I was looking to tweak what I have, adding an intake or exhaust(likely next steps) I was unpleasantly surprised by the exorbitant cost asked of Dinan loyalist to just add a few extra hp/tq. And even more so if one considers the stage 3 which adds another .5 psi at a whopping 10k total price tag. Wow!

Just a bit of venting I guess and looking for advise to the second part of my original post, where to spend less and get more. My guess an FMIC is next, to which might or might not be Dinan sourced but it's my belief that this will add the next best bang for the buck towards an improved driving experience.

I appreciate your considerate approach in responding to my post!
If you're looking for performance the FMIC is next upgrade without a doubt. The OEM unit if fairly restrictive and very efficient. As far as which one to pick, that just depends on how much you want to spend. For the average tuned N54 any FMIC is a huge improvement and will perform similarly. Keep in mind however, that without a Dinan tune to really take advantage of the upgraded IC than the performance gains are going to be more "staying power" rather than "seat of the pants."

Last edited by Ænema; 10-05-2012 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
If I'm reading the Dinan website correctly, adding their recommended CAI and FFE to a Dinan flash(in my case a stg 2)for a cost of around $3100 + 3.4 hrs labor only yields an increase of 12 Hp and 13 ft-lb torque.

I already have the flash and am quite happy with it along with the extra added warranty coverage but to add an extra 12hp/13tq at the prices quoted above seems a bit ridiculous, or am I missing something?

Seems like there are better ways to spend less and get more, no? FMIC or even an LCD come to mind as good examples, yes? No interest in meth or DPs.
Spend the money on the Dinan FMIC and the exhaust. Remember those Dinan intake numbers are crank numbers. Attached you will find my "mustand dyno" WHP/WTQ results of stock intake w/K&N filter vs aFe Stage 2 Elite SI

Of course I custom sealed it for less than $10 and a trip to home depot, and this intake is"significanlty" cheaper than Dinan's CAI with better performance.
  • 1st FMIC
  • 2nd Exhaust
  • 3rd Intake
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Before&AfterDyno.pdf (1.68 MB, 138 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Of course I custom sealed it for less than $10 and a trip to home depot, and this intake is"significanlty" cheaper than Dinan's CAI with better performance.[/LIST]
Not to thread jack, but your saying by sealing the intake you got more HP? I only ask because I have the Simota intake (not sealed) and if HP increases by that much from simply sealing I might give that a try...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Not to thread jack, but your saying by sealing the intake you got more HP? I only ask because I have the Simota intake (not sealed) and if HP increases by that much from simply sealing I might give that a try...
Sealing it completely increases CFM at the snorkle mouth sucking more dense air

Here is my article, make sure to follow the link in the OP of how I sealed it up before upgrading to the aFe snorkles http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=aFe+Stage+2

Last edited by BQTuning; 10-06-2012 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

FMIC before intake or exhaust! None of these mods are going to give you a substantial bump in hp but keeping your IAT's lower should be priority 1.
I have the Dinan intake btw; slightly better throttle response; no noticable seat of the pants bump in hp tho.
      10-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I had Stage 2 for a good while, and was using an AFE Dual-Cone intake, which worked well. I then decided to upgrade to S3, which gets you over 14PSI, not 13.5. I had managed to find a very slightly used Dinan Free-Flow exhaust in the private "For Sale" section here, and added that. Next, I got an ETS 5" FMIC, which made a really noticeable difference, even with S2. Following that, I acquired an ER Sport oil cooler (about 3x the size of the stock unit) on a "Black Thursday" deal and got that installed. As I was just on CPO warranty, I had my dealer call Dinan and validate that they'd sell me the $400 upgrade to S3 with non-Dinan FMIC and OC, then had it installed. Finally, after perusing the private seller section, I came across a Dinan CAI for almost half price - still new in the box - that had languished on a dealer's shelf for awhile. I installed that with some help from a friend and I really like the total package. Not enough boost to require downpipes, although I'm considering those as well, lots of power (WAY more than stock) for what I want, and never a hassle at the dealer. I didn't spend anywhere near 10K, either, as I bought my S2 on sale for under $2K.

So the moral of the story is that you don't have to buy brand-new and you don't have to buy genuine Dinan FMIC/OC for stage 3. The difference is very noticeable, I've never had any problems with boost or fuel control or any other driveability problems. I'm not one of the "fast and furious" bunch that has to have absolute maximum boost and power, so Dinan works for me - although I must say, some of the Cobb and other non-piggyback stuff has its appeal. But with only 40K on the clock and a clear title, I'll see how long I can keep this before I move on to the next one.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I had Stage 2 for a good while, and was using an AFE Dual-Cone intake, which worked well. I then decided to upgrade to S3, which gets you over 14PSI, not 13.5. I had managed to find a very slightly used Dinan Free-Flow exhaust in the private "For Sale" section here, and added that. Next, I got an ETS 5" FMIC, which made a really noticeable difference, even with S2. Following that, I acquired an ER Sport oil cooler (about 3x the size of the stock unit) on a "Black Thursday" deal and got that installed. As I was just on CPO warranty, I had my dealer call Dinan and validate that they'd sell me the $400 upgrade to S3 with non-Dinan FMIC and OC, then had it installed. Finally, after perusing the private seller section, I came across a Dinan CAI for almost half price - still new in the box - that had languished on a dealer's shelf for awhile. I installed that with some help from a friend and I really like the total package. Not enough boost to require downpipes, although I'm considering those as well, lots of power (WAY more than stock) for what I want, and never a hassle at the dealer. I didn't spend anywhere near 10K, either, as I bought my S2 on sale for under $2K.

So the moral of the story is that you don't have to buy brand-new and you don't have to buy genuine Dinan FMIC/OC for stage 3. The difference is very noticeable, I've never had any problems with boost or fuel control or any other driveability problems. I'm not one of the "fast and furious" bunch that has to have absolute maximum boost and power, so Dinan works for me - although I must say, some of the Cobb and other non-piggyback stuff has its appeal. But with only 40K on the clock and a clear title, I'll see how long I can keep this before I move on to the next one.
Didn't mean to misquote the stage 3 psi numbers, thank you for clearing that up. The 5" ETS is very much on my radar, looks to be a nice enhancement for my stage 2, not to mention its easy no cutting drop in install convenience.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
solishe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 Spc Grey Met e90 335i

Garage List
shortseller, if you want to stay Dinan, ping Phil at reevesBMW. Checkout this thread for a "new" FMIC (no warranty though). But the price is very attractive at $742. Just FYI....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747414
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

ooooooooh ! Someone jump on that fast
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solishe View Post
shortseller, if you want to stay Dinan, ping Phil at reevesBMW. Checkout this thread for a "new" FMIC (no warranty though). But the price is very attractive at $742. Just FYI....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747414
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0