E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Hurricane Isaac

Closed Thread

08-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #45
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
That's fine if you want to use your tax dollars to bail out them again, but I won't have one penny of my tax money go to them one more time. Live and learn is my motto. Not live and fail, and repeat again.

The main reason Katrina was a catastrophe was because the levees broke and a major portions of the city got flooded because it rests below sea level. My point was that there are ways to prevent them from breaching again. I'm not speaking as somebody who accepts heir fate and defers everything off as an act of God. I'm speaking as an experienced engineer and somebody who knows fortifying that city isn't rocket science. It takes determination and a lot of hard work. Sure, I wrote what I did tongue in cheek, but the truth is they have had seven years to learn from their mistakes. When I say "they" I'm talking about city officials and army corps of engineers. I don't necessarily hold the individual citizens responsible.

I agree that they (the government/city engineers/etc) should have learned their lesson and be prepared for the next Katrina but do you really wish death upon hundreds of residents because of poor planning/design of the levees?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #46
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
Lol, so the location where you currently reside is based solely on the risk of natural disasters? I guess you must live in Hawaii then. According to How the States got their Shapes, that is the safest state to live in to avoid natural disasters. So job, education, housing, etc had nothing to do with your decision to live there? Or the fact that perhaps you were born there and all your friends and family are there?

My life story was just to illustrate a point, which is not everyone has the means to live in a location where it is safe, whether it be gang violence or natural disasters. It must be awesome for you to pack up and leave when you want but most of the Katrina victims did not and still don't have that option. Many of these people were born and raise there, they did not choose to live there and they don't have the option to leave.
i live in FL. its not the first place i have lived, and not likely to be the last.

if you read my earlier posts, you would see that i agree with most of what you said.

i still cant believe that the victims (by the way, im a victim too if you want to get technical) can't leave. who is stopping them? they have equal opportunity just as you and i do.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #47
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55 View Post
Sorry, but, what a dip shit comment to make!!! I wanted to say more, but your diplomacy left me speechless.
He wasn't very tactful, but he had a point. New Orleans is right in hurricane alley. News flash: there's a 100% chance there will be another big one, and lots of smaller ones very soon. Everywhere has it's disasters, but hurricanes are very common. Perhaps, say, living below sea level isn't a good idea unless extreme precautions are taken. It's like in CA when people build on a steep dirt cliff for the nice view and have a sob story when their house falls down the canyon or into the ocean when the soil gets saturated. That's what it does! Don't build there, perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #48
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Mississippi has you refugees covered! It's the hospitality state, you know.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #49
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Sara,

You guys should be fine. They've been saying it would become a hurricane for the last 3 or 4 days and it just won't strengthen. If you get hit with what Sout FL got just expect a lot of rain and not too much else. We had a few crazy wind gusts but nothing serious.
      08-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #50
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I'm currently in Biloxi at Keesler AFB for a class and we're having to shelter in place with enough supplies for the next 3 days. Strange how the weather is really nice at the moment and knowing hell is just hrs away.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #51
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55 View Post
Sorry, but, what a dip shit comment to make!!! I wanted to say more, but your diplomacy left me speechless.
He wasn't very tactful, but he had a point. New Orleans is right in hurricane alley. News flash: there's a 100% chance there will be another big one, and lots of smaller ones very soon. Everywhere has it's disasters, but hurricanes are very common. Perhaps, say, living below sea level isn't a good idea unless extreme precautions are taken. It's like in CA when people build on a steep dirt cliff for the nice view and have a sob story when their house falls down the canyon or into the ocean when the soil gets saturated. That's what it does! Don't build there, perhaps.
No, his comment lacked sensitivity, and was totally out of line! Approx 1900 people lost their lives to Katrina, many had no where to go, nor the means.

Following your logic, then, everyone should move away from the entire gulf coast area (Louisiana, Miss, Alabama, Georgia and Florida). While we're at it, let's move everyone out of California, and less we forget, evacuate tornado alley as well.

What is the lesson basis for "if they didn't learn their lesson from Katrina, perhaps Issac should flatten it to the ground"? Some on N.O. is below sea level, some not. Much of the surrounding areas are significantly above. The levees were inadequately designed based on 1950's (?) engineering, and Katrina was the worst case scenario.

My comment stands.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #52
Exite
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Good luck to everyone in the path of Isaac. Hopefully nothing bad hapepns to anyone in its path.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #53
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Well I'm evacuated. Not as far as I thought I'd go. Have a third story/ roof top apartment in the French Quarter. Figure if I lose power the quarter will be the city's first priority as its the historical district plus it's higher than I'd be at my house which is right along the levee of the Mississippi. All this changed last minute. Bought some vodka. I'm good
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #54
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

1M is safe in the garage.....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #55
Mkah
Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
i have little sympathy for those who choose to live below ground in such a hurricane prone area.

flame suit on.
Below ground? Are you stupid? I think the term you're looking for is "below sea level".
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #56
Mkah
Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
That's fine if you want to use your tax dollars to bail out them again, but I won't have one penny of my tax money go to them one more time. Live and learn is my motto. Not live and fail, and repeat again.

The main reason Katrina was a catastrophe was because the levees broke and a major portions of the city got flooded because it rests below sea level. My point was that there are ways to prevent them from breaching again. I'm not speaking as somebody who accepts heir fate and defers everything off as an act of God. I'm speaking as an experienced engineer and somebody who knows fortifying that city isn't rocket science. It takes determination and a lot of hard work. Sure, I wrote what I did tongue in cheek, but the truth is they have had seven years to learn from their mistakes. When I say "they" I'm talking about city officials and army corps of engineers. I don't necessarily hold the individual citizens responsible.
What kind of engineer are you?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread