E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Cutting down air drag?

02-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Cutting down air drag?

I've heard of a few techniques to cut down drag with painter's tape, does anyone have anything to add to this like spots to add this to and how much? I tried taping gaps like front bumper and fender area and the sunroof. It made maybe a 10th of second of difference in my lap time. Am I doing it wrong? Or is tape really that minor? and how do you know where to tape on the front bumper mesh? BTW Please show diagrams or a picture
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

anyone anyone? any nascar techs?
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
DosVerde
Rep
Drives: 330i - stonechipped black

To build on your quoted analogy, taping up gaps is like sticking your finger up a girls bum, if you're getting an exta 10th of a second pleasure, you're doing well

Or is that just my wife?.....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
I've heard of a few techniques to cut down drag with painter's tape, does anyone have anything to add to this like spots to add this to and how much? I tried taping gaps like front bumper and fender area and the sunroof. It made maybe a 10th of second of difference in my lap time. Am I doing it wrong? Or is tape really that minor? and how do you know where to tape on the front bumper mesh? BTW Please show diagrams or a picture
My suspicion is that whatever difference it may or may not make, the difference is less than your inconsistency between laps regardless of whether you're using tape or not.

Also, if I understand it correctly, the difference it makes is negligible at lower speeds, so unless you're consistently driving at very high speeds, it's unlikely to make much of a difference.

Maybe a rocket scientist can chime in?
      03-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosVerde View Post
To build on your quoted analogy, taping up gaps is like sticking your finger up a girls bum, if you're getting an exta 10th of a second pleasure, you're doing well

Or is that just my wife?.....
Hahahahahahahahahaha ill keep that in mind XD your words are sig worthy lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
My suspicion is that whatever difference it may or may not make, the difference is less than your inconsistency between laps regardless of whether you're using tape or not.

Also, if I understand it correctly, the difference it makes is negligible at lower speeds, so unless you're consistently driving at very high speeds, it's unlikely to make much of a difference.

Maybe a rocket scientist can chime in?
I was only try to learn this for those track days and possibly drag days. A friend of mine is try to create a little get together amongst friends and see who's the fastest. Of course just for fun and on a track. But rocket scientist... maybe, but I think that its just time consuming and tedious like dynamatting a trunk or full detailing a car
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Well, ideally you want to tape up everything that is not smooth, i.e.

Tape up all the vents on the front bumper, kidney grills included
WARNING! This WILL cause your car to overheat! But it may be good for 1 lap
Then you want to tape up all the panel gaps (i.e. bonnet to fenders, around doors, etc.)
Additionally, you should also tape up the windows (i.e. stick some tape over the rubber/glass part)

IMHO, you're only going to get like 0.2s max out of this
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Well, ideally you want to tape up everything that is not smooth, i.e.

Tape up all the vents on the front bumper, kidney grills included
WARNING! This WILL cause your car to overheat! But it may be good for 1 lap
Then you want to tape up all the panel gaps (i.e. bonnet to fenders, around doors, etc.)
Additionally, you should also tape up the windows (i.e. stick some tape over the rubber/glass part)

IMHO, you're only going to get like 0.2s max out of this
Thanks for the insight on it, I wasn't too sure about how it cut down and and I wasn sure if it was able to be done for 1 lap or more thanks for letting meknow tho it was very helpful and ill take your word for it
Appreciate 0