Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Non runflat tires on BMW runflat rims

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Fapster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I Convertible

Non runflat tires on BMW runflat rims

I need help! I have a 2009 e93 with the Sports package and the 19" BMW wheels/rims. My service manager told me that I would have to get new rims if I went with non runflat tires? Is this true? If it is, why is that so?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fapster View Post
I need help! I have a 2009 e93 with the Sports package and the 19" BMW wheels/rims. My service manager told me that I would have to get new rims if I went with non runflat tires? Is this true? If it is, why is that so?

Thanks!
Not true, you can fit non-RFTs to your stock rims without issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fapster View Post
My service manager told me that I would have to get new rims if I went with non runflat tires?
????????????????

There's no such thing as Run Flat rims (except for the Michelin PAX system) !
True that some rims may be too soft to have RFT installed on them.

But BMW OEM and most aftermarket wheels should endure the added sidewall stiffness without destroying the wheels (yes I know, I've seen the horror picture of wheels cutted in half by passing in an 4" * 5" pothole).

The beauty of self-supporting Run Flats is the possibility of using them on regular wheels.

Do some es on the Internet on RFT.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Hmm... wheels can't be or not be runflats, only tires can. There's no reason you can't get non runflat tires to put on those OEM wheels.

You'll just need to figure out how to get your TPMS sensors working on your car with the new tires. I'm not sure how the newer 335s calculate air pressure.