E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY – Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)

02-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #265
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPsN54 View Post
So I just finished this job today. Took my time and followed a combination of the BavAuto videos and the DIY write up.

This isn't a hard job, you just have to be patient. The hardest part was removing the awful fittings with the spring clip. You cant twist them because they are keyed, you have to rock them back and forth just enough to the point where you can get a flat head screw driver into the hose to crack them (You'll know what I mean when you get to that point). My dad really wanted to help as he knows nothing about mechanic work and was willing to do most of the steps as long as he was given clear directions.

I also drank a mouthful of coolant and got it into my ear.
Good deal. I have the dreaded thermostat light and want to tackle this job as well. My only problem is that my hands are big and I am a little nervous of the confined area. An indy in town is willing to do it for about $500. I am tempted to just go that route but the appeal of doing it for much less is appealing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #266
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

OK, finished on '07 e93 with 95k miles this weekend. So I'm part of the club......Where's my t-shirt!? As has been mentioned once or twice in this long thread....e93's have 2 long braces with 4 bolts each...or you cant get the sway bar to swing down. I had no problem getting the first 3 unbolted on each bar...but the 2 farthest from the front, would not budge and I was starting to strip the bolts......so I had to just remove the sway bar entirely.

I know some of you made easy work of this task; and good for you. I on the other hand had a B!+Ch of a time from the get go. Those hoses didn't want to let go after 10 years. As mentioned many times in this thread...patience and finesse. Happy to report that even though I did get my hands and arms pretty banged up.....I didn't get a drop of coolant on me. My gloves, sure...but never had any just pour out on me.

This job took me 18 hours and I feel like I've been in a wreck......but well worth not letting the shop that quoted me $1500 take advantage of me. They even refused to use the parts that I ordered from Tischer (because then they couldn't double the price of the parts on me).

Again...do I get like an "I survived the waterpump/thermostat DIY" coffee mug or something?

Thanks to all or contributed to this thread and Otto's great video (who I admittedly cussed at multiple times)

Last edited by Tucker020; 03-14-2017 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #267
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker020 View Post
OK, finished on '07 e93 with 95k miles this weekend. So I'm part of the club......Where's my t-shirt!? As has been mentioned once or twice in this long thread....e93's have 2 long braces with 4 bolts each...or you cant get the sway bar to swing down. I had no problem getting the first 3 unbolted on each bar...but the 2 farthest from the front, would not budge and I was starting to strip the bolts......so I had to just remove the sway bar entirely.

I know some of you made easy work of this task; and good for you. I on the other hand had a B!+Ch of a time from the get go. Those hoses didn't want to let go after 10 years. As mentioned many times in this thread...patience and finesse. Happy to report that even though I did get my hands and arms pretty banged up.....I didn't get a drop of coolant on me. My gloves, sure...but never had any just pour out on me.

This job took me 18 hours and I feel like I've been in a wreck......but well worth not letting the shop that quoted me $1500 take advantage of me. They even refused to use the parts that I ordered from Tischer (because then they couldn't double the price of the parts on me).

Again...do I get like an "I survived the waterpump/thermostat DIY" coffee mug or something?

Thanks to all or contributed to this thread and Otto's great video (who I admittedly cussed at multiple times)

Congrats! Sorry, no prizes given out here but you do have the satisfaction of knowing that you did this by yourself. You stuck it to the man and saved hundreds of dollars.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #268
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodiyes View Post
Hi there,

I noticed you added a diy a while back. Would you be interested in adding that diy and others if you want on autodiyes.com

If you are not sure why you should do that, well... we are trying to create a platform exclusively for diy guides so that we can provide the world with better accessibility to such information.

Another feature worth mentioning is that we will be sharing the revenue generated by our platform with the people that write the diy guides.

Let me know if you have any questions and how you feel about our initiative.
gtfo out of here with your ads.

I wouldn't normally say anything, but you quoted a huge array of pictures and shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #269
Tucker020
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Congrats! Sorry, no prizes given out here but you do have the satisfaction of knowing that you did this by yourself. You stuck it to the man and saved hundreds of dollars.

Yep.....and put those savings towards ER Chargepipe and Mishimoto FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #270
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

All right gang. I finally broke down and bought the parts for this fix. I am tired of seeing that check engine soon light due to the faulty thermostat for the past three years (yikes!!) I've watched the videos and read the posts and think I can do it!!
      04-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #271
Tucker020
Private
Rep

You can. Just make sure you have everything you need. One huge thing that helped me a lot with breaking the bonds from the hoses and getting the "quick connects" off, was a $7 pick and hook set from Autozone. Take the extra time to make sure all hoses are clocked properly and on snug and tight before moving on to the next step. Last thing you want to do is get it all put together, bleed the coolant, crank it up, and start dumping coolant (ask me how I know). Make sure you have a battery charger for bleeding process. Prob not necessary, but I bleed mine twice for good measure.

Last edited by Tucker020; 04-12-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #272
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker020 View Post
You can. Just make sure you have everything you need. One huge thing that helped me a lot with breaking the bonds from the hoses and getting the "quick connects" off, was a $7 pick and hook set from Autozone. Take the extra time to make sure all hoses are clocked properly and on snug and tight before moving on to the next step. Last thing you want to do is get it all put together, bleed the coolant, crank it up, and start dumping coolant (ask me how I know). Make sure you have a battery charger for bleeding process. Prob not necessary, but I bleed mine twice for good measure.
Cool. Thanks. The part will be here on Friday and I am going to start the break down procedure tonight and simply take my time as i've got another car so no rush.
      04-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #273
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

I am deep into this project and finally have the water pump and thermostat out. The job is pretty straight forward but I ran into a few small issues. I had to remove the radiator fan because I simply didn't have enough room to release the coolant pipe from the thermostat. Upon removing the cooling fan I snapped the brittle coolant return line that runs to the expansion tank. I guess all of the heat just did it in. Oh well. Will have to replace that and have ordered the part. That pipe attached to the thermostat with the clips was a pain because until I put a lot of light on the area I could not tell that I was prying on the thermostat with my screwedriver vs getting right in between the thermostat and the coolant pipe. Once done then the pipe came right off. I photographed everything in order to help me put all of this stuff back together as it would be a challenge just going from memory.

A few positive notes is that the released coolant was clean with no oil slicks or other foreign bodies in it. I can say that it wasn't blue though. I wish I would have removed the cooling fan when I installed my intercooler. The added visibility with those couplers would have made the job a piece of cake.
      04-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #274
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Finally finished the job. Where's my tee shirt??? Again I was in no rush and took my time. Like many have said if you take your time you can do it too. The most challenging thing for me putting everything back together was that upper 3rd bolt. I don't know if it wasn't aligned right or what but it was a bugger to put back in. I performed the bleed and no leaks, squeaks or drips. Next up for me is the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #275
Basis swap
Rep
Drives: '08 e93 335i

Yeah, took me more than 12 hours over the course of two days. Highly frustrating. I literally redefined for myself the meaning of "finesse" and "frustration". But, having done this, feels like you can do anything (but smart enough not to try)

06-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #276
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basis swap View Post
Yeah, took me more than 12 hours over the course of two days. Highly frustrating. I literally redefined for myself the meaning of "finesse" and "frustration". But, having done this, feels like you can do anything (but smart enough not to try)
Congrats. It's one of those jobs that you have to truly do to understand but once done you could do it in half the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #277
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

God damn photobucket
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #278
SKWDMD
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Ordered the parts and finalizing my plan of attack for this dreaded repair. Watched tons of videos and read lots of posts.

Just watched a video on the BMW hose connectors that has me confused, because nobody else mentioned this: he states that the clip is in the closed position before you place it back on the hose. You will hear an audible click as the clip is deformed and rests back in the channel. If placed with the clip up you can never know that it is fully seated. I don't understand that, because I would assume the clip wouldn't seat correctly if the hose wasn't completely seated on the flange. Is this how everybody does it...with the clip closed

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #279
cpe90
nemo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 Sedan  [0.00]
Quick question guys.

I just had this dreaded over heating light turned on tonight. Good thing I just pulled into my driveway. I have a feeling it's because of the water pump. The fan has been running like crazy for the past week so I know the engine is a little on the hot side.

I had the thermostat replaced already about 30k miles or 3 years ago by the dealer under warranty. The miles was at 56k and now my car is at 85k.

So my question for you, if I'm going to replace the water pump, should I replace the thermostat again at the same time? or do you think my current thermostat still have about 20k miles left on it since the last time it was replaced, I was at 56k and I'm only using it for 30k now?

Thank you for your suggestion on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #280
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basis swap View Post
Congrats. It's one of those jobs that you have to truly do to understand but once done you could do it in half the time.
This is the truth. I read this entire thread and watched the bavauto videos prior to tackling this job....still ran into issues.

The good thing is the pain points are pretty well documented. The plastic pipes with the spring clips pretty much have to be removed with brute force. I wasted time trying to pry them off with a flat head. Getting the third bolt off the water pump wasn't as bad as I thought. You just need patience and the right combination of tools (two extensions and a universal joint). I used a lubricant on the plastic pipes and hoses. This was after a lot of time and effort trying to get the plastic pipe reattached to thermostat and reinstalling the water pump. Things went in much easier afterwards. Double check the connections of the plastic pipes to make sure they are secure. When reinstalling the water pump, ignore the hose that connects the water pump to the thermostat and focus on getting the pump inserted into the top hose. Lastly, what I thought would be the easiest part - reattaching the wire clip to the water pump turned out to be a pain. I ended up taking pliers to open the clip slightly.

My body is sore and I have cuts on my hands and wrists, but it was well worth it to DIY. Dealer wanted $1750 for the job. I paid $433 for parts and $10 for an e-series socket set. I'll spend that extra $1300 in savings on something more worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #281
bjones2571
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Reinstalling the top bolt on the water pump is killing me. Any suggestions? 2011 335i if it matters.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #282
68vert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 6spd MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones2571 View Post
Reinstalling the top bolt on the water pump is killing me. Any suggestions? 2011 335i if it matters.
Try using a racheting open end wrench. I forget the size but i think i used a SAE size not metric which fit that torx bolt perfect.

Working on cars as a hobby for twenty something years this was one of the biggest PITA ever. Good luck. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #283
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
It's much easier to feed the bolt by hand using the 3/8 extention bar with the universal. Basically, you have to have a feel for it as the bolt hole is just beyond your line of sight. It's a damned thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #284
bjones2571
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
It's much easier to feed the bolt by hand using the 3/8 extention bar with the universal. Basically, you have to have a feel for it as the bolt hole is just beyond your line of sight. It's a damned thing.
Yeah, I can get it in the hole, but it won't thread. Not sure if it's fractionally offline or I am putting pressure on it while turning it causing it not to thread. Really frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #285
68vert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 6spd MT

Quote:
Yeah, I can get it in the hole, but it won't thread. Not sure if it's fractionally offline or I am putting pressure on it while turning it causing it not to thread. Really frustrating.
I threaded the bottom 2 bolts. This put the water pump in position while allowing me to gently rock it a little while threading the upper bolt with the other hand. Once I got it started slightly, I used the racheting open end wrench to tighten it down.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:24 AM   #286
3k1n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Sti

I'm changing the waterpump and thermostat soon on my 135i. Does anyone recommend anything else to be replaced or done while the waterpump is being swapped? I would like to save some money on labor by replacing as much as I can while the pump is being taken out.
Appreciate 0