E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > YVR: Nixon Automotive

07-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

YVR: Nixon Automotive

Nixon Automotive
6935 Buller Avenue
Burnaby, BC V5J 4S1
info@gsautosport.com
http://www.nixonautomotive.com/

I just went to Nixon Automotive to remove my CDV. Technically, removal of the CDV is not entirely difficult to do...but not something I wanted to do on my own since you actually need two people to bleed your clutch etc. I was also lazy...so I also got them to install my Lux 3.0 as well. Everything works nicely. The CDV delete mod is great! If you have a MT...don't walk...RUN and get your CDV deleted!

The guys at Nixon did a great job. I talked to Ryan, who is one of the owners of the shop. They specialize in BMWs and can do all sorts of work such as:
  • pre-emptive oil changes (if you do not trust BMW's high mileage intervals--Ryan suggested doing it every 10,000 - 12,000km or so rather than the full 25,000km)
  • activation of OEM alarm (so you can DIY it yourself...much cheaper than the dealer) EDIT: apparently they cannot do this...
  • suspension modifications (installation of sway bars, springs or full coilovers with proper setup i.e. corner weighing, etc.)
  • cosmetic mods (they installed Lux for the first time today)
  • CDV delete
  • (big) brake installs or maintenance
  • engine work/maintenace/repair
  • they have the BMW diagnostic computer so they can clear fault codes, etc.

They can probably do a whole bunch more stuff...but I didn't really ask about. The only thing Ryan said that they don't do is mount their own tires...they use a shop down the road.

I am quite happy with the job they did and the service they provided so I thought I would spread the word...

Last edited by spacedogg; 01-14-2008 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
ricky123hk2002
Fishy
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Garage List
2007 335i E90  [0.00]
how much they charge ? expensive?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky123hk2002 View Post
how much they charge ? expensive?
CDV delete is $80 which IMHO is reasonable compared to what a dealer or dealer's mechanic would charge for equivalent work. I also bought a modified CDV from Zeckhausen Racing for $35 USD...but that is not entirely necessary part unless you want it to look completely stock to the dealer.

I usually do most mods myself...I didn't mind futzing around with my airbag when I swapped my steering wheel...but for some reason I felt like I didn't want to mess around with the CDV...I think reading that post of the guy who did it himself and his clutch pedal kept dropping to the floor scared me. Hehe.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
dawgpoop
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Sport, Premium, Nav

hey spacedogg,

do u mind giving me a lecture 101 on what is cdv, drl, and lux 3.0...

i'm a noob to all this...

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #5
ricky123hk2002
Fishy
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Garage List
2007 335i E90  [0.00]
HI spacedogg Would u like to help me install the brex? spoiler? and D1S or HID Fog? hahaha
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

can they install headlights?
I will be buying xenon headlights for my 323i and replace the halogen?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgpoop View Post
hey spacedogg,

do u mind giving me a lecture 101 on what is cdv, drl, and lux 3.0...

i'm a noob to all this...

thanks in advance.
CDV Delete = This mod only applies to cars with manual transmission. It does not apply for automatics. It can be done on sedan, touring and coupe. CDV stands for clutch delay valve. It is "a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder...[i]t "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players used a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record. Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly."

Essentially, removing the CDV substantially increases your ability to smoothly shift gears on the manual tranny.

Read more here:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29828

DRL = Daytime Running Lights. The headlights that turn on automatically when you start the car (not xenon...but the yellow halogen lights). In the US, you can disable the DRL so when you drive your car around you do not have any lights on.

LUX = This mod only applies to sedan or touring models equipped with angel eyes. It is a LED lighting product that is meant to replace the OEM bulb that lights up the angel eyes. It is whiter and brighter than the stock bulb. There are other products like Brex, PMB, PIAA...but LUX is currently the brightest. It is also made and sold by fellow E90post member mds82. mds82 is currently taking names for those interested in LUX 4.0 which will be his fourth generation product.

Read more here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=lux
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky123hk2002 View Post
HI spacedogg Would u like to help me install the brex? spoiler? and D1S or HID Fog? hahaha
I haven't installed any of those...but if you have the tools, I wouldn't mind helping you out on a weekend. PM me and maybe we can meetup somewhere...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanchan View Post
can they install headlights?
I will be buying xenon headlights for my 323i and replace the halogen?
I believe they can. They do practically all things BMW...I would be very surprised if they said they wouldn't be able to do that for you. Assuming you have all the correct parts (it's not just the headlights remember...you need all the other parts such as the footwell module)...they should have no problem installing that.

Give them a call and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Assuming you have all the correct parts (it's not just the headlights remember...you need all the other parts such as the footwell module)...they should have no problem installing that.
Thanks spacedogg,
what is a footwell module? let's assume I have the xenons, what other parts are needed beside the footwell module?
do I just buy this footwell module from the dealer or its less expensive to buy from the members here?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

alanchan, just hold off a few weeks. I'm waiting for parts and will be compiling the mother of all 323i Xenon/Fog DIYs. I'm confident that what I'm planning will work, and parts will only cost $50 over the cost of the headlights!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

thanks Desi,

please keep me posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #13
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanchan View Post
Thanks spacedogg,
what is a footwell module? let's assume I have the xenons, what other parts are needed beside the footwell module?
do I just buy this footwell module from the dealer or its less expensive to buy from the members here?
This is all OT...but I've had a quick look at the master DIY list. There are three DIYs that have been written up re: switching from halogen to xenon. Take a look:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721

According to the DIY by Tyler (ADHD) it appears that I am incorrect...you don't need a footwell module. Apparently, you can just do some wire splicing so you only need the xenon headlights and ballasts...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28035
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
dawgpoop
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Sport, Premium, Nav

Quote:
CDV Delete = This mod only applies to cars with manual transmission. It does not apply for automatics. It can be done on sedan, touring and coupe. CDV stands for clutch delay valve. It is "a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder...[i]t "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players used a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record. Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly."

Essentially, removing the CDV substantially increases your ability to smoothly shift gears on the manual tranny.

Read more here:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29828

DRL = Daytime Running Lights. The headlights that turn on automatically when you start the car (not xenon...but the yellow halogen lights). In the US, you can disable the DRL so when you drive your car around you do not have any lights on.

LUX = This mod only applies to sedan or touring models equipped with angel eyes. It is a LED lighting product that is meant to replace the OEM bulb that lights up the angel eyes. It is whiter and brighter than the stock bulb. There are other products like Brex, PMB, PIAA...but LUX is currently the brightest. It is also made and sold by fellow E90post member mds82. mds82 is currently taking names for those interested in LUX 4.0 which will be his fourth generation product.

Read more here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=lux

Hey spacedogg,

Thanks a lot for the indepth explainations and the links! LOL, maybe i should get the Lux upgrade and the DRL thingy. But still got to wait till the car arrives. Thank you very much for your help!

Have a good one.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

how much they charge for oil change for e9x's?

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #16
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
how much they charge for oil change for e9x's?
nvm, i checked $96

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
nvm, i checked $96
yup...still cheaper than dealer. i think bj charges $120+.

after warranty is up these guys will be the place i go to...only down side is no new courtesy cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #18
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
yup...still cheaper than dealer. i think bj charges $120+.

after warranty is up these guys will be the place i go to...only down side is no new courtesy cars.
Dave, do you know much they charge for like c/o installs, like how much they charge per hour for labour? I think BJ charges $110/hr, or something like that...and most specialty shops charge like around $65/hr

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #19
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dave, do you know much they charge for like c/o installs, like how much they charge per hour for labour? I think BJ charges $110/hr, or something like that...and most specialty shops charge like around $65/hr
Their rate is $80/hour. But talk to them...you may be able to work out a deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #20
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Their rate is $80/hour. But talk to them...you may be able to work out a deal.
yes yes, thats what I am talking about, we Hong Kong people like to pay in cash, can they do it for "cheap cheap" and no tax if we pay cash??

most shops charge no tax on labour if you pay cash and only tax on parts they order for you

Appreciate 0