E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 607AWHP/618AWTQ: TFT Inlets + RB Turbos + BQ/Wedge Tuning

01-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #23
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
I'd be very, very interested in buying just the intake pipes and making my own coolant tank solution. From what I can see, roughly (My personal guess. Nobody take this the wrong way) 3/4 of the cost of the kit is for the coolant tank relocation (BMW coolant tank, lower and upper charge pipes, hoses, clamps etc.).

The BMW coolant tanks are only huge to accommodate for people who don't check the coolant level often enough or don't pick up on small leaks quickly. I think that a generic aluminium cylinder with half the capacity of the OEM tank would work fine and fit near the power steering tank without the requirement for charge pipe modification and bring the total cost way down.
Brian mentioned that he would only sell the complete kit...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #24
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Well that sucks.. I think bradsm87 is onto something!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #25
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

I just had a good look at my car and I just don't see how the rear intake pipe would work on an RHD. I'm sure a dent can be hammered in the right place to clear the steering column but it would also at least need another cut and silicone joiner in the rear intake pipe just to get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 12:58 AM   #26
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
How many hrs of labour do you guesstimate to install the kit?

I'm guessing it would be 4-6 hrs for a workshop?
To be honest mate, I wouldn't like to a hazard a guess, as it all depends on what RHD fitment issues we run into.

Installation of the first kit is always going to be the most time consuming by far.

For what it's worth I believe there is also a kit going to a workshop in WA, so perhaps they will be having a look at the install before Advan does, not sure when that kit is expected to land in WA though...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:14 AM   #27
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I know that to be true.

My first thoughts were that there would be potential customers that have just dropped coin on a charge pipe and or intake kit and they would be reluctant to purchase a kit that makes this new hardware redundant. I put this to Brian and his was pretty steadfast in his desire to sell a complete kit that sees the proper relocation of a new 335d coolant expansion tank.

If you check out the quality of the fabrication work that has gone into this charge pipe you can perhaps better understand why Brian is an all or nothing kind of guy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:36 AM   #28
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
I just had a good look at my car and I just don't see how the rear intake pipe would work on an RHD. I'm sure a dent can be hammered in the right place to clear the steering column but it would also at least need another cut and silicone joiner in the rear intake pipe just to get it installed.
I can assure that there will be no hammering in of any dents mate, lol.

Rob Beck is familiar with our RHD steering rack and associated clearance issues as he researched this a bit whilst designing the turbo inlet and discharge plumbing for his Evolution Super RB's, he seems confident the kit will bolt up based on his conversations with Brian.

If he is wrong and the rear turbo inlet pipe fouls on the steering rack or compressor discharge pipe we'll just have to deal with it, but please rest assured there will be no dodgey fixes or backyard workarounds. My fabricator mate is a top hand and he loves to work with 304 stainless, so if the first kit needs to be adapted in any way Advan and I have got that covered.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by JD75; 01-30-2015 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: Revision
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:58 AM   #29
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Yes that CP is a nicely crafted piece!

I must admit I would like to retain my existing CP, but who knows I will wait and see what transpires he may change his mind in the future.

Brian also mentioned he will be looking at offering the kit in a powdercoated finish (I like the stealth oem black look)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:34 AM   #30
N88888_dawg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
interesting to see people actually looking to develop the RHD layout
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:29 AM   #31
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Yes that CP is a nicely crafted piece!

I must admit I would like to retain my existing CP, but who knows I will wait and see what transpires he may change his mind in the future.

Brian also mentioned he will be looking at offering the kit in a powdercoated finish (I like the stealth oem black look)
Powder coating can be done locally, no problem at all mate as there are many powder coating facilities in Sydney.

I know a place in proximity to Parra that provide excellent results whilst being cost effective.

I had already planned to obtain a quote on powder coating all the stainless components of the kit, providing they are all RHD compatible of course, haha.

By the way the charge pipe pictured is a thin walled polished 304 stainless steel version. It looks the part but Brian is refraining from using polished stainless in the first production kits as it requires a lot of extra TLC throughout the fabrication process to not scratch/scuff the finish.

But yeah if you have no plans to powder coat the pipework, the polished 304 SS looks f'n hot!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:33 AM   #32
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N88888_dawg View Post
interesting to see people actually looking to develop the RHD layout
Hopefully we won't require the skills of a local fabricator, but if we do I have it covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:46 AM   #33
N88888_dawg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
Hopefully we won't require the skills of a local fabricator, but if we do I have it covered.
exciting news!

This really is a leap forward in terms of output for us who are stuck with twin snails
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #34
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Quote:

Wouldn't be Performance Metalcraft would it? I can couch for his work. Top bloke too. Forgot his name
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #35
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N88888_dawg View Post
exciting news!

This really is a leap forward in terms of output for us who are stuck with twin snails
Yes, I couldn't agree more. I was the first one to ever install RB turbochargers on a car in Aus almost 4 years ago. Back then there was no E85 to speak of either, with the abundance of E85 and the availability of LPFP and HPFP upgrades PLUS the addition of the TFT intake/turbo inlet kit it's now sooo much easier to make big power on stock frame turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
Wouldn't be Performance Metalcraft would it? I can couch for his work. Top bloke too. Forgot his name
Nope, but my guy knows him too, haha. As much as any fabrication requirements won't be an issue mate, I'm crossing my fingers that fab work is not required as I can appreciate Brian's kit is already a lot of cash. Knowing what quality fabrication works costs IMHO the purchase price of the kit is very much justified, but if we could avoid additional costs for you guys during the installation of the TFT hardware that would be great.

Speaking of I will be sponsoring 50% of any fabrication costs incurred on Ian's car during the initial install. Ian has taken a leap of faith on RHD compatibility, as such I wanted to ensure his out of pocket expenses are kept in check where possible. Whatever fab work is required can be replicated to ensure 100% RHD fitment on future installs. So whether the kit is fitted at Advan performance, Active Motorwerke in Melbourne or wherever the boys will have the modified parts on hand to ensure the hardware installation is as smooth as possible, thereby minimising additional labour costs incurred during the upgrade.

But as I said out of the box RHD compatibility would be magic.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by JD75; 01-30-2015 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Revision
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #36
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

@ink awesome news mate. Can't wait to tune those RB's with these intakes.

Change out that LPFP and lets go for 400wkw!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #37
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Sorry for the OT reply, but what's the consensus on you guys with RB's shooting for 400rwkw re the VTT hpfp upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:51 PM   #38
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the OT reply, but what's the consensus on you guys with RB's shooting for 400rwkw re the VTT hpfp upgrade?
It will largely depend on what % of Ethanol you are running in an effort to increase octane for added knock suppression and combustion chamber cooling.

The higher the blend the more demand you will place on the HPFP (assuming you already have an upgraded LPFP) whilst reducing the need for Meth injection to serve as an octane adder, rather than an IAT reducer.

I have a RB customer in Melbourne who has a very nicely setup car, I will be supplying him a VTT Single Barrel Shotgun HPFP upgrade kit very soon which should get the job done i.e. achieving 400rwkW, as he doesn't plan to go above E70.

If you want to run 100% E85 at 400rwkW+ I suspect the VTT Double Barrel upgrade will be required in conjunction with the SteveAZ Stage 2 LPFP, possibly even his Stage 3 bucket. I just asked that question of Steve today after having conversations with a local RB guy that wants to push past the 400 barrier.

Of course there are the supplemental fueling/port injection options within the market too that I need to more thoroughly investigate. But IMHO if the fueling system can remain 100% direct injection that's gotta be a good thing, as the very nature of DI is one reason these motors can make such great horsepower numbers on stock internals, in particular with the use of non-forged pistons.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #39
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
As JD mentioned, only an issue with the higher e85 content..

And more so for the big ST guys who run out of steam easier also.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:47 AM   #40
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Rob Beck is familiar with our RHD steering rack and associated clearance issues as he researched this a bit whilst designing the turbo inlet and discharge plumbing for his Evolution Super RB's, he seems confident the kit will bolt up based on his conversations with Brian.

JD.
Hold on... Are you telling me that Rob has explored the avenue of his "stage 3" kit being a bolt on kit for RHD..?!?

WM
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:58 AM   #41
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
Hold on... Are you telling me that Rob has explored the avenue of his "stage 3" kit being a bolt on kit for RHD..?!?

WM
Haha, he has it's a definite NO! Sorry bud.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 05:08 AM   #42
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Best case scenario the turbochargers themselves would be supplied minus the turbo inlet and compressor discharge plumbing and the onus would be own the RHD purchaser to look after the plumbing.

I put that to Rob as he knows I can address the RHD plumbing issues, whilst he said he wouldn't rule that out it's also too early to be discussing such things, as the Evolution Super RB's haven't even been tested as yet.

Essentially the revised Super RB's were never intended for a RHD application, that much he has made clear.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #43
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Hey guys,

with the first couple of TFT intake/turbo inlet kits leaving the US in the next week or so, I thought it would be a good time to post some cool pics of the polished 304 stainless version Brian is now considering offering.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #44
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
^^ having some pipe dreams right there!!
Appreciate 0