E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Help please !!! Brake Pad Issue

02-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
BBQWER
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

Help please !!! Brake Pad Issue

Hi guys,

On the screen showing Replace Brake Pads rear and front ( hand brake light is ON, even i did not put any hand brake ). new car only running for 3000kms, is it reasonable to change it now??? 3000kms to replace brake pad is no brain for me.
please give me any advice.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQWER View Post
Hi guys,

On the screen showing Replace Brake Pads rear and front ( hand brake light is ON, even i did not put any hand brake ). new car only running for 3000kms, is it reasonable to change it now??? 3000kms to replace brake pad is no brain for me.
please give me any advice.

thank you
Unless you've been driving like Michael Schumacher, i doubt you'd need brake pads yet. Hell, you'd need to change your tyres first anyhow, so as long as your wheels aren't bald, i think the computer is just playing funny buggers on you. It may be worth getting them inspected though, for peice of mind, as the only thing i can think of is the sensor is malfunctioning...
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

If i bring it to bmw for inspection, how much will it cost? mostly i drive in city, all tyres still perfect. but today i went to car wash, and i dont think this will affect the sensor. but to change new brake pads on 3000kms, this is absolute no brain for me....

is it normal the brake pads light is ON ??
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
If i bring it to bmw for inspection, how much will it cost? mostly i drive in city, all tyres still perfect. but today i went to car wash, and i dont think this will affect the sensor. but to change new brake pads on 3000kms, this is absolute no brain for me....

is it normal the brake pads light is ON ??
It will 99% be a sensor has fallen out / become defective.

Will be a warranty item unless you don't have any warranty for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

Will bring it to dealer on Monday. but do i get any replacement car, if my car have to stay for couple days? it should be under warranty cozzz no accident at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

depends how busy your dealership is, they may have cars allocated out already

but demand one, speak to ur salesguy if the service guys have no cars to give out
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #7
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

I bought at bmw artarmon, but closed down already. and the nearest one will be BMW sydney. I dont think i can get any replacement car
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

hand brake lights is ON..... I dunno what happen to this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

There is no way a street car is going to go through brake pads in 3000 klms. It will be a sensor or just a computer reset. I'd call them first and arrange a time for them to look at the car as it's a good chance it can be resolved while you wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
hand brake lights is ON..... I dunno what happen to this car.
Don't worry, it's a known issue.

I assume the symbol is a small one something like (I) in the middle cluster and it does not go away when you are driving, I also assume that it's not the large handbrake on warning light you might get when you leave the handbrake on slightly and start to drive.

So if it is that symbol means there is a problem with your brakes.

Now assuming they are not squealing metal on metal (which I could not see how that would be given your klms), that they still work (i.e. pedal is still firm & not spongy) & the car still stops normally it means one of the sensors has been dislodged.

You can in that circumstance still drive the car but if you are not sure call BMW assist and get them to come and check the car for you.

What I would suggest you do is drive to Sydney BMW and have the service advisor look at the car. It is a 30 min fix so they may even be able to do it on the spot. If not they will tell you if it's safe to drive & book you in for a service. They offer a shuttle service too & from the CBD and if you are happy to wait a week or two for your appointment they are normally happy to give you a loan car (that is in my experience anyway).

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
dude the best way to find out if it's a electronic issue and whether you get a replacement car is to call BMW themselves. everything we tell you here is just hypothetical because we are not the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 02:51 AM   #12
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

Try to ask bmw roadside assistance and they cant help...... anyway, booked for inspection this thursday and they told me this is not normal. im getting scare now. looks like i might catch a cab from bmw sydney back to home.....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #13
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

Just get back from melbourne trip this morning. was doing about 120-140kms/hr all the time. Travel around 1800-1900kms for 3 days, total kilometers now is around 5300kms.

And today, Brake pad issue Happen again after been fixed last month, bmw told me, the computer misread the thickness of the brake pad.

Pretty disappointed, bought $100k+ car and same shit keep happening
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #14
AndDee
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Just get back from melbourne trip this morning. was doing about 120-140kms/hr all the time. Travel around 1800-1900kms for 3 days, total kilometers now is around 5300kms.

And today, Brake pad issue Happen again after been fixed last month, bmw told me, the computer misread the thickness of the brake pad.

This happened to someone else I know that has the 335i.

Took it in and they fixed the sensor, was fine for a few weeks and then happened again

Took it back in and they kept his car for about 10 days all up, had a 535 loan car in the meantime so didn't really care too much.

Got it back a few weeks ago and hasn't occured again

He doesn't drive the car much though only a few hundred kms a month
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Mine has done this again, a few days after it was serviced.

I believe there is a software update that can fix it.

I agree about the $100k+ car comment, mine also has to have the drivers seat back replaced, fuel flap switch replaced and the iDrive keeps locking up.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
^^ IMO the dealers should br offering the updates (I just went and downloaded a new update for my car and did it myself), not waiting untill we find out about it then have to ask and pay for it...
      03-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #17
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
brake pad sensor needs replacing or reset.
      03-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #18
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
^^ IMO the dealers should br offering the updates (I just went and downloaded a new update for my car and did it myself), not waiting untill we find out about it then have to ask and pay for it...
It seems Aussie dealers are reluctant to upgrade the software in our cars unlike our US cousins who seem to be more up to date with any fixes or changes. When asking about any software upgrades, all I got was a confused look, like he didn't know what I was talking about.

04-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

went to BMW this morning to drop my car again. and they gave me a lift back to home with 750i what a nice car , and waiting for them to pick me up again
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #20
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
went to BMW this morning to drop my car again. and they gave me a lift back to home with 750i what a nice car , and waiting for them to pick me up again
You weren't the young guy in the black 3er with a cracked windscreen 2nd in line before they opened were you?

My car is there today to have the brake error & other things done. SA told we they will most likely do a software update .. hope it goes well so I can have the car back this arvo.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #21
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
You weren't the young guy in the black 3er with a cracked windscreen 2nd in line before they opened were you?

My car is there today to have the brake error & other things done. SA told we they will most likely do a software update .. hope it goes well so I can have the car back this arvo.
A little further info on the brake sensor issue.

Firstly their fix is not (as I thought) to repair / replace the sensors in the pads, what they actually do is a minor software update.

When I mentioned to the SA that this was the 2nd time it had been done he spoke with the technician and they have now raised a PUMA case to get BMW Australia to allow them to do a full software (progman) update on the car. Friggin tight arses!!!

So looks like my car will be in the workshop over the w/end, at least they have given me a loaner.

On a side issue I am also having them replace the drivers side seat back, due to excessive wear on the leather. What I did not know is all they do is pull the actual leather lining off the seat and replace just that part. Unfortunately there is some part associated with the airbag that necessitates the services of an automotive trimmer to sew it together . Lucky they covered it as warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #22
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
It seems Aussie dealers are reluctant to upgrade the software in our cars unlike our US cousins who seem to be more up to date with any fixes or changes. When asking about any software upgrades, all I got was a confused look, like he didn't know what I was talking about.

yep, that's why i downloaded and installed my own software, and it didn't cost me a cent (i have the newest version, released about 10 days, or 2 weeks ago or something..)