E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Here for a short time..

12-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #1
Newtoy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Garage List
Here for a short time..

Hey guys unfortunately i rear ended a car on the freeway today on my way from work and as the damage looks quite extensive am pretty sure the car will be a write off..
I lodge the claim from the insurance as soon as i got back home to the hospital for check ups but as it was expected when its time to lodge a claim they always find lots of BS to throw at you but in the end after some arguement everything was sorted [at least for now] so the car will get assessed soon and i will know the outcome.
After only a few months of ownership,countless hours of going over the net looking for info to learn about the car potentials and possible mods,bugging VTL everytime i would break something and getting him to come to my rescue to fix it and spending a fair amount of money on maintenance and modifications am pretty sure i'll try get another e92 as i really loved driving the car and haven't really got the chance to fully enjoy it.
unfortunately it was only insured for market value as i wanted to finish modding before i could change my policy to an agreed value.

Now i wanted to ask what are the chances of salvaging the parts i put on the car if the insurer decides that it is a write off and take it away?i want to at least recover the akrapovic exhaust i have on, Cpe dci,ER chargepipe with tial bov, and concave wheels and other bits and pieces i might be able to use if i get another 335i.
Any recommendations is much appreciated guys thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Crikey !!! glad you are ok NT

That scratch will buff right out mate
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Ouch that looks nasty!

AFAIK you wont be able to retrieve any parts from the car... The car will become property of the insurance co.

I hope you're OK mate!

Note to self, to change my car from market value to an agreed amount
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:09 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Ouch that looks nasty!

AFAIK you wont be able to retrieve any parts from the car... The car will become property of the insurance co.

I hope you're OK mate!

Note to self, to change my car from market value to an agreed amount
Can you buy the wreck back off the insurer DRJ?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Can you buy the wreck back off the insurer DRJ?
Depends on the insurance co AFAIK, they use to give you the option to buy it back. The alternative is to browse pickles etc and wait for it to go to auction
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Depends on the insurance co AFAIK, they use to give you the option to buy it back. The alternative is to browse pickles etc and wait for it to go to auction
I suppose it doesn't matter if you write yourself off with your car
Glad NT is ok in this case, looks like a nasty tail ender

Good luck getting it sorted OP
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hey guys yes glad i walked out of it with just a bruise on my hand that was caused when the airbags deployed..
I wonder how naenae got his parts back when he hydrolock his car last time and the car was written off??
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Crikey !!! glad you are ok NT

That scratch will buff right out mate
haha socks you can probably offer to buff it out for me mate
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i DCT FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtoy View Post
hey guys yes glad i walked out of it with just a bruise on my hand that was caused when the airbags deployed..
I wonder how naenae got his parts back when he hydrolock his car last time and the car was written off??
you car will be written off if the air bags are deployed.
even if its repairable, the extent of the damage cannot ensure a 100% fix so they just write it off to prevent headache in the future.

take it to your mechanic, get him to strip the car and put back stock parts then call the insurance company, you will only have a small time frame before they get suss.

take what you can, intake, wheels suspension, interior trim, carbon mirror caps & jb4 etc... but you must replace it with stock parts.

I have a low km stock exhaust that im willing to let go for $150 if you wanna come pick it up from northcote. good luck with everything bud. let me know if you need any advice.

PSA TO EVERYONE. ALWAYS OVER INSURE YOUR CAR AS AN AGREED VALUE. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. GET AS HIGH AS YOU CAN, PAY THE EXTRA PREMIUM BECAUSE YOU ARE PAYING FOR PEACE OF MIND IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK he got his car towed to a mates workshop, and his mate assessed the engine and gave him plenty of time to R&R parts before his mate confirmed it was a hydrolocked engine.

I'm guessing you just had the vehicle towed to the insurers holding yard/assessment centre?

You'll have to enquire ASAP to gain access to the car, I doubt they'll let you take parts from the vehicle or even work on it whilst its there
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by naenae View Post
you car will be written off if the air bags are deployed.
even if its repairable, the extent of the damage cannot ensure a 100% fix so they just write it off to prevent headache in the future.

take it to your mechanic, get him to strip the car and put back stock parts then call the insurance company, you will only have a small time frame before they get suss.

take what you can, intake, wheels suspension, interior trim, carbon mirror caps & jb4 etc... but you must replace it with stock parts.

I have a low km stock exhaust that im willing to let go for $150 if you wanna come pick it up from northcote. good luck with everything bud. let me know if you need any advice.

PSA TO EVERYONE. ALWAYS OVER INSURE YOUR CAR AS AN AGREED VALUE. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. GET AS HIGH AS YOU CAN, PAY THE EXTRA PREMIUM BECAUSE YOU ARE PAYING FOR PEACE OF MIND IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS.
Thx for the advice mate and the car was towed to a temporary shop awaiting the insurance to get to them to know where to take it nxt to get assess do you think they will let me take whatever i need from it if i go there?
exhaust was cut to fit the akra mufflers and holding with clamps might not be a quick changeover if i go there by myself to swap it.
Best ways to quick release those carbon covers on the side mirrors and the rear spoiler on the boot thats being held with 3m tape??
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thx for the advice mate and the car was towed to a temporary shop awaiting the insurance to get to them to know where to take it nxt to get assess do you think they will let me take whatever i need from it if i go there?
exhaust was cut to fit the akra mufflers and holding with clamps might not be a quick changeover if i go there by myself to swap it.
Best ways to quick release those carbon covers on the side mirrors and the rear spoiler on the boot thats being held with 3m tape??
you need to speak to the mechanic there, they wont let you tow it away. just say, if i pay you to replace these parts, would you do it? and if they say no then you're out of luck

just rip off the carbon mirrrors. use high strength fishing wire for the carbon lip
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
So i went the depot where the car is being stored and had a chat with the manager after taking naenae advice on board but unfortunately like we knew didn't work out in my favor..he said because of OH&S he can't let me work on the car which i understand but then again when i offered to pay an hourly fee for his guys to do it he said even if am paying him $1k/hr he still wouldn't do it as he is flat out atm and haven't got anyone available to work on it.

Got a call from the insurance the minute i got back home as they wanted to let me know they were picking up the car some time today to get assessed so i asked them what were the chances of recovering a couple of parts from the car that i upgraded and i was told as long as i still have to stock ones and am willing to replace them i can talk to the assessor and sort out something with him so fingers crossed i can at least get my intake and cp with bov..dont think ill be able to change over the exhaust at this stage which is unfortunate as they did cost a bit of money
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So i went the depot where the car is being stored and had a chat with the manager after taking naenae advice on board but unfortunately like we knew didn't work out in my favor..he said because of OH&S he can't let me work on the car which i understand but then again when i offered to pay an hourly fee for his guys to do it he said even if am paying him $1k/hr he still wouldn't do it as he is flat out atm and haven't got anyone available to work on it.

Got a call from the insurance the minute i got back home as they wanted to let me know they were picking up the car some time today to get assessed so i asked them what were the chances of recovering a couple of parts from the car that i upgraded and i was told as long as i still have to stock ones and am willing to replace them i can talk to the assessor and sort out something with him so fingers crossed i can at least get my intake and cp with bov..dont think ill be able to change over the exhaust at this stage which is unfortunate as they did cost a bit of money
you should be able to as long as the car is market value. just be nice to the assessor. who are you insured with btw?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by naenae View Post
you should be able to as long as the car is market value. just be nice to the assessor. who are you insured with btw?
currently with virgin insurance which is a part of auto & general insurance..have been with them for a few years and when i changed cars i decided to renew my policy with them as i never had any issues in the past..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #16
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Honestly the only time you can take back parts is IF you take it to mechanic before the insurance takes ownership of your written off vehicle which is a very short time frame. But all your parts can be taken out in a day or so and make sure you replace with stock parts. That's it
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #17
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Honestly the only time you can take back parts is IF you take it to mechanic before the insurance takes ownership of your written off vehicle which is a very short time frame. But all your parts can be taken out in a day or so and make sure you replace with stock parts. That's it
Yeah that's what iv been told but unfortunately on the moment of the accident that's the last thing on your mind and now i can only wait til i get to talk to the assessor and see if at least i can recover a couple of those mods..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 03:30 AM   #18
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Ouch! Glad your ok bro. Maybe you should buy that 335i on the forum for like 28k once you get paid out and bank the rest. Naenae has a good point. Agreed value all the way!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #19
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mmm View Post
Ouch! Glad your ok bro. Maybe you should buy that 335i on the forum for like 28k once you get paid out and bank the rest. Naenae has a good point. Agreed value all the way!

which car is it bud?thanks man only a bit of burnt/bruise on my forearm that was caused when the airbag deployed..good thing is that emergency feature in the car really works and the car automatically made a call to emergency services when i had the collision..
Bank the rest?am sure am not getting anymore than 25-26k looking at the value of 335i atm and amount of k's on mine was around 115k so might be a bit tight or just enough to be able to bargain with someone who really wants out of the 335i scene.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #20
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Ouch !! glad you are ok! What did you hit?? As in vehicle wise? I'm not from Melbourne but seems like it's on a freeway so it must be at high speed!!
Now: BMW X5 F15 M50d
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #21
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Ouch !! glad you are ok! What did you hit?? As in vehicle wise? I'm not from Melbourne but seems like it's on a freeway so it must be at high speed!!
yeah on the freeway but was close to my exit was slowing down maybe around 80km/h..
i hit an oldish toyota camry but honestly didn't have any visible damage i had to asked the guy myself if i really hit him lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #22
Newtoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
here's what i hit..pretty solid in my opinion
Attached Images

Appreciate 0