E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Should i be worried?

11-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #23
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 320i M Sport

[QUOTE=HighlandPete;10842331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosslol View Post
.... I want a car that will last me the 3-5 years with minimal repairs/faults.

I only do about 8k a year so it isnt mega miles either, but reading here the 320i engine isnt the best ....QUOTE]

Keep the BMW warranty going, would be my 'peace of mind' solution, even if it is only for the drivetrain components.

Driving just 8k miles per annum, the petrol is likely the best suited to it, particularly if the trips are quite short.

HighlandPete
I bought the car from Arnold Clark, took out 2 year extended warranty, and he threw in a 2 year service plan. Should be good enough?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
bought the car from Arnold Clark, took out 2 year extended warranty, and he threw in a 2 year service plan. Should be good enough?
Sounds as if you are pretty well set up, I'd just get on and enjoy the drive.

You may have upgraded before the 2-years are up... if you get the BMW bug. If not, you'll know how you feel about the car by then, and can sort another warranty if you desire to. Hope the Arnold Clark provided warranty is pretty good, without too much small print. (Assume it is not a BMW extended warranty?)

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #25
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

I had the same feeling when I got my 330i, can remember it clearly, putting the petrol, paying the monies, and then thinking shit, what have I done, why didnt I buy the diesel, and resting my head on the steering wheel, then I got a honk from behind and I drove off.

The way it drives, the silkyness, the morning start up, it's all perfect, will never go to a diesel again.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #26
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Sounds as if you are pretty well set up, I'd just get on and enjoy the drive.

You may have upgraded before the 2-years are up... if you get the BMW bug. If not, you'll know how you feel about the car by then, and can sort another warranty if you desire to. Hope the Arnold Clark provided warranty is pretty good, without too much small print. (Assume it is not a BMW extended warranty?)

HighlandPete
Yeah ill keep it a minimum of 3 years so i dont loose too much on it.
As for the warranty it was £390 for 2 years, so i assume it isnt bmw? not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Yes they are 19" 225m's
      11-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #28
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Yes they are 19" 225m's
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #29
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

I had a brand new 320i and only kept it for 9 months due to the issues that I had with, traded into the same dealer for a 320d and (touch wood) have had no issues with it so far. Hopefully you get a better one than I did, I had a full BMW warranty with mine as it was new but this doesn't really make up for the hassle factor you have to put up with constantly going back and forth to the dealer for the same issues over and over again.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #30
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
No worries mate!!

Looks very nice by the way mate!!!!!
      11-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #31
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
No worries mate!!

Looks very nice by the way mate!!!!!
Thanks Had to settle for basic inside, alcantara seats etc =/ But didnt have the budget to go over £15k for leather/satnav =( shame because it makes the car look sooo much better.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #32
E93Ant
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 2.0i SE

Enjoy it mate! I've got a 320i and have come from a Clio R27. Like you, I just wanted some refinement! I love it.....not the speed of a hot hatch, but she drives lovely and is comfortable. I bought mine from BMW with a warranty, but touch wood, not had any issues at all
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #33
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Ant View Post
Enjoy it mate! I've got a 320i and have come from a Clio R27. Like you, I just wanted some refinement! I love it.....not the speed of a hot hatch, but she drives lovely and is comfortable. I bought mine from BMW with a warranty, but touch wood, not had any issues at all
Nice one mate yeah ill miss the hot hatch, especially my beloved corsa vxr recaro seats =( they are the the best seats ive ever sat in!

Also wil have to get used to driving a big car haha, im only 21 so ive never driven a big car before, has always been hot hatches.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #34
fivespice
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3 M40d

That is a great looking car. Don't see many red M sports about. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #35
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

We had a 320i before trading it for the 330d in less than 6 months. I read the horror stories on here after buying, and was worried, however, it never let me down and for what it cost, was outstanding value. However, I did find it far too slow and that is why I traded up.

8K miles a year simply doesn't justify a 320d and if the car is quick enough for you I wouldn't worry. You could ask the dealer to look at the car's service recors on their computer, that will tell you if it has been spending more time in dock being repaired than is polite.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #36
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

According to Douglas Park BMW it is a statistical fact that the 320i is "less reliable than the weather". My father in law had an e93 320i that had numerous problems including the dreaded engine cut out as discussed at length in the sticky on this forum. The manager at said dealership used to work for my father in law and after the third time it went in for the cur out problem he admitted the 320i is the bain of his life.

At least the faults are all known, easily fixed and you have a warranty so I wouldn't worry. Yours is a lovely looking car, don't see to many in red. Enjoy, it could be much worse. You could have bought a 320d with a chocolate turbo that will spew it's guts into your engine costing you a fortune
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #37
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
According to Douglas Park BMW it is a statistical fact that the 320i is "less reliable than the weather". My father in law had an e93 320i that had numerous problems including the dreaded engine cut out as discussed at length in the sticky on this forum. The manager at said dealership used to work for my father in law and after the third time it went in for the cur out problem he admitted the 320i is the bain of his life.

At least the faults are all known, easily fixed and you have a warranty so I wouldn't worry. Yours is a lovely looking car, don't see to many in red. Enjoy, it could be much worse. You could have bought a 320d with a chocolate turbo that will spew it's guts into your engine costing you a fortune
Yeah i suppose if all the faults are known i have a case to fight. Plus the 2 yr extended warranty wont do any damage

The car is stunning Theres little to none red ones around where i am, think ive saw one red coupe but wasnt the M sport. I was looking for black but when i saw this i had to have it!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #38
jjbirch530d
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw 5 series

lovely car you have there m8 loving the red, nothing wrong with 320i,the engine loves to be reved to get somewhere which i liked, 320d is a far better engine but sounds like a tractor but when mapped can keep up with 330i easy, loved booting it and seeing them drop down a few gears by the time they did that i was gone, warrenty is a must on all cars as it gives you peace of mind, enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #39
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick random question? Never had a look when i took it a run, but it doesnt have a sport mode right?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #40
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by moar View Post
Hook, Line, and Stinker more like
Touché

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #41
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Here it is here, Is that definetly the 19" alloys?
Great rims

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #42
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Looks good in red.

The thing with buying such a car from Arnold Clark is they are useless when it comes to BMWs.

My car came through Arnold Clark after a long story, but they had no idea what they were doing with it.

The deal was all servicing due in the short term had to be completed. They could no understand what servicing was required or reset any of the service lights as they don't have the equipment.

Luckily in the end my car was taken to Harry Fairbairn(who Arnold Clark now own) to have the service done.

Also if the service plan has not changed they hold you to a service either every year or 12,000. That does not fit in with BMW variable servicing.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #43
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Looks good in red.

The thing with buying such a car from Arnold Clark is they are useless when it comes to BMWs.

My car came through Arnold Clark after a long story, but they had no idea what they were doing with it.

The deal was all servicing due in the short term had to be completed. They could no understand what servicing was required or reset any of the service lights as they don't have the equipment.

Luckily in the end my car was taken to Harry Fairbairn(who Arnold Clark now own) to have the service done.

Also if the service plan has not changed they hold you to a service either every year or 12,000. That does not fit in with BMW variable servicing.
Yeah if i have any problems warranty wise ill just head over to harry fairbairn, its only about 20mins away from me, but the salesman im dealing with is decent he isnt a prick like the last ones ive been to.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #44
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Yeah if i have any problems warranty wise ill just head over to harry fairbairn, its only about 20mins away from me, but the salesman im dealing with is decent he isnt a prick like the last ones ive been to.
Have you asked if they will let you do that?

They will have based the service plan on hourly cost at one of their main garages, not BMW rates.

Don't ever trust a salesman.
Appreciate 0