E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 30-130 Day (RAF Marham)

11-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

30-130 Day (RAF Marham)

So guys, thought I would stick this up here to see if it gains any interest (mods please move to relevant section if wrong)
I attend this event every year and it really is a cracking day out. I know there are quite a few petrol heads on here and some nicely modded 335i's/M3's etc, so thought it would be good if we could get some attendance from the BMW crowd.
Attending will be everything from highly modded hot hatchbacks to some seriously nice exotica. More importantly there is always a good showing from the Audi boys (S/RS models) and I know a few would be interested in sticking it to them .
ATM there is 2 mapped 135i's attending (BMW wise), but anyone else fancy joining us read below for details..

Thanks again to RAF Marham's invitation, I’m very pleased to confirm the next 30-130 event will be held on Sunday 18th March 2012.

If you haven't heard of “30-130” before, it's probably the best opportunity for you to understand the REAL performance of your car. Taken from a rolling start below 30mph you have approx 1.5miles of Marham's straight ultra smooth tarmac to pass 130mph - and carry on for a top speed run if you wish.

There's no running order so you can run when you want (subject to the queue which we get through as quickly as possible!) The average number of timed runs is approx 5 or 6, but we've seen some drivers do 15+! You’re welcome to do a run without a VBox (or use your own if you have one) to bypass the queue and go straight out, but only data from the MLR's calibrated VBoxes being used on the day will be used in the results.

The current 30-130 record is held by RossW in his Evo6 in a time of 5.84s

Please read ALL the following info carefully, paying particular attention to the Security Clearance requirements further below

Main Event Details:
Full 1.5mile runway
VBox data recorded for all cars
Cars can be corner weighted
Limited to a maximum of 60 cars
Starts at 9am, finishes at 4pm
£99 per car & driver
Additional drivers £59
Passengers £10
Main drivers must have full UK driving licence
ALL cars must have a fire extinguisher fitted within reach of the driver
ALL drivers and passengers must bring photographic ID on the day to be allowed into the venue (no photo ID = no entry)
ALL spectators must come in the same car as the driver booked for the event

Event Timetable:
07:30 - Gates open. (DO NOT stop at the Guard room as before - please go straight through to the first checkpoint. You MUST show your Photo ID on the day)
07:45 - Driver and Passenger Registration / Car number and wristband collection
08:30 - Drivers briefing (mandatory)
09:00 – Sighting lap
09:30 – Event start
12:30 – Lunchbreak
13:00 – Event restart
16:00 – Event close

30-130:
We’ll use the full length of the 1.5 mile / 60m wide runway of super smooth tarmac
All cars will be fitted with a Racelogic V-Box in order as they appear in front of the MLR control point, which will record your car's performance
Cars will run one at a time and must start their run within the designated coned area for that run to count
Having completed a “30-130 run” all drivers will be able to go on to complete a top speed run if they want. This is not compulsory but you may not have a better, safer and legal way to find out your car’s top speed
The next car will be released when car #1 has passed the halfway mark on the runway
You must brake at the braking markers to ensure you don’t overrun the end of the runway and risk damaging the airfield infrastructure (as happened last year!)
Once the car has returned to the Paddock and the VBox has been removed, your 30-130 time and Top Speed result (if applicable) will be displayed at the MLR unit as soon as Dave has downloaded the data from your runs

***VERY IMPORTANT: SECURITY CLEARANCE!***

ALL DRIVERS, SPECTATORS & RESERVES MUST HAVE SECURITY CLEARANCE BEFORE BEING ALLOWED ON SITE

I MUST HAVE EVERYONE’S DETAILS BY 29th FEBRUARY 2012 to give the RAF Police enough time to get your security clearance before the day.
IF YOU MISS THIS DEADLINE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND AS YOU WILL NOT GET SECURITY CLEARANCE

I need to record ALL names & details regardless of whether you have been security cleared for previous events, or have clearance to work on this station, are serving RAF personnel etc, so please send me your info asap

Please PM or email me with ALL the following details ASAP for security vetting:
Full Name
Address
Nationality
Place of Birth
Date of Birth
Passport number
Car make, model and registration being driven into RAF Marham; ie: the tow car if the vehicle you’re using at the event is being towed

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Corner Weighting:
We will have our corner weights at the event as usual, so if you want to corner weigh your car you can do so anytime during the day. This will be managed the service and direct you onto the ramps and the scales. Readings will be recorded and can be taken with and without the driver

Marshals & Emergency Cover:
The event will be fully marshalled and include Medical and Fire Cover

Helmets:
Helmets must be worn by all occupants- drivers and front seat passengers

Fire Extinguishers:
ALL cars must have a fire extinguisher fitted - preferably in an easy to reach place, eg: in front of the passenger seat. This will be checked on the day and any cars without extinguishers will not be allowed to run

Noise Limit:
Noise from motorsport has now become an issue for RAF Marham. Although it’s understood that running a single car at 30-130 is not the same as running numerous cars together at a trackday, noise monitoring will take place on the day if required but they will be as lenient as possible. We are not allowed unsilenced exhaust systems. The static noise limit is 105dBA (measured at ½ metre, 45 deg, ¾ revs)

Rear Spoilers:
For reasons of safety, cars must retain their rear spoilers and blade, unless fitted with a carbon bootlid or similar which does not allow for a rear spoiler

Vortex Generators and Trim:
Debris of ANY type on the runway is the single biggest concern at RAF Marham. Aftermarket VGs and other trim have a tendency to come off when travelling at over 130mph, so all VGs will need to be taped front and back to ensure they stay on the car. If it’s not done when you come to collect your VBox we will do it for you!

Towing Eyes:
It is your responsibility to have a towing eye or strap fitted and/or accessible on the day in case you need to be recovered. The RAF recovery crew are experienced and will treat your car like their own, but they have to be able to return your car to the paddock, so please make their life as easy as possible whilst also removing the risk of damage to your car

Passengers:
Only front seat passengers are allowed and must be 16 years old or over. There is a small charge of £10 for passengers, but they must complete an indemnity form and wear a wristband

Refreshments:
Food & drink (burgers, bacon rolls, coffee etc) will be managed by the RAF who'll be based in the ’30-130 paddock’

Litter:
It is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that no litter or cigarette ends are dropped anywhere other than a bin. Failure to observe this very simple rule seriously jeopardises us being invited back, so please use the bins provided (or your pockets!)

Spectators:
All spectators must come with drivers already booked in as we are only allowed a maximum of 60 cars onsite during the day. You need to be security cleared to be allowed on site, so please send me your details (see above) for Security clearance - and bring PHOTO ID on the day. No Photo ID = No Entry

Volunteers:
We need a handful of people to help with putting the V-Boxes in the cars and changing over memory cards throughout the day, so please contact me or Mechell if you’re interested in helping

Video Cameras:
All video cameras must be securely mounted internally via suction mount or bolted to a rollcage. No hand held cameras are allowed. All footage must be for personal use only – eg: not uploaded to YouTube, forums etc

Photography:
Due to the extremely sensitive nature of the venue, cameras are only permitted for personal use, eg: photos cannot be posted on forum or websites. No professional or commercial photography is allowed

Rides:
30-130 wouldn’t happen without the help of the RAF volunteers who marshal and support the event– all of whom are petrolheads and would sell their sister (or brother) for the chance to own the cars attending the day. If you’re happy to give them a ride we will give you a sticker for your windscreen so the guys know they can jump in with you sometime during the day. Thanks in advance from me- it's good to be able to give something back

HOW TO BOOK:

Bookings:
Places can be booked by calling us direct on 08451 25 26 23
Price per car/driver: £99 (MLR members only)
Additional drivers in the same car: £59 (booked via phone 08451 25 26 23)
Passengers: £10 Pay on the day

Reserves:
If places sell out a reserve list will be started. All reserves should still PM me their details for security vetting before 29 Feb 2012 in case you are able to get a place

Cancellations:
Please tell me if you cannot attend for any reason. Please DO NOT post on the Forum offering your place to someone else as we need to manage the entry list for security purposes, and offer your place to the first person on the reserve list. Please be aware of the MLR's Cancellation Policy

Last but not least:
A huge thankyou to Paul, George and the RAF Marham Station Commander and staff who continue to make this unique event possible.

This books up quick guys, so book quick to avoid disappointment..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

ive put my name down for this on the RSOC and was going to see if there was anymore interest on here, good stuff!
      11-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I'd be interested. Although not sure a standard M5 will cut the mustard. But its about having fun. I'M UP FOR SOME FUN!

I'm in!!!! (Possibly)
      11-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep

You got an M5 now mate? E60 or E39? Either would certainly cut the mustard, but as you say it's more about the crack and comparing against what ever you like.
You might not win (unless you can crack it in less than 6 secs ha) but boy is it fun.. lol.

Vid from a few years back in my old man's E60 M5. This wasn't a timed 30-130 run, just a warm up. But hit the bloody limiter @ 170 (160 GPS), which was annoying considering we still had most of 6th and 7th gear left, plus half the runway..

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

A hundred quid?

Fire extinguishers??

Sighting lap???

LOL!
      11-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
its an E61 V10. Not mine mate, its my old man's. I am not interested in spending any money on a motor at the moment. He is quite relaxed about things and does not mind me driving it. Hoping to get to the pod and finally hit that 12 something I craved for in my 335d. 'Ring is an option too for next year.

Wish I still lived at home.. I would be out in it every 5 mins. HAHA
      11-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I reckon I'd be up for this. Sounds like fun
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
A hundred quid?

Fire extinguishers??

Sighting lap???

LOL!
Missing the joke here...

This a live RAF base which has normally Tornado's taking off and landing daily (not over that weekend though obviously ). So understandably there are some quite strict rules about safety etc.
When you have cars that are hitting 200mph, it's quite useful to have a sighting lap to get your bearings with regards braking areas etc.
A brand new BMW might not have a need for a fire extinguisher. But when you have 10-15 year old Evo's running around 1000bhp, there can be a need I can assure you. Should a small fire break out from the engine bay on one of those during a run, without a fire extinguisher not only would the owner have to watch his pride and joy go up in smoke, but the RAF risk damage to their runway which is not an option.
It is a very well organised event mate I can assure you and having certain rules like these put in place just makes you feel a lot safer on the day. Rather than turning up at some half-arsed event run by idiots that wouldn't have a clue what to do if the worst happens..
Not everything goes to plan in motorsport you know...

Certain rules have now been put into place to stop this happening again..

Not much can be done with a freak event like this though lol...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

So this kinda went out the window:

"All video cameras must be securely mounted internally via suction mount or bolted to a rollcage. No hand held cameras are allowed. All footage must be for personal use only – eg: not uploaded to YouTube, forums etc"

Unless its a new rule not to upload?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes mate, these videos were done before this rule was implemented..

Although there are rules set, they don't adopt a Hitler approach to all of them. For example, you don't need a bracket bolted inside the car for the fire extinguisher. Just so long as it is secure (glovebox, pocket behind your seat etc).
Regarding pictures/videos, you are allowed to take as many pictures as you like, so long as it's just for domestic use (no professional photography allowed)..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec Abuser View Post
Please PM or email me with ALL the following details ASAP for security vetting:
Full Name
Address
Nationality
Place of Birth
Date of Birth
Passport number
Car make, model and registration being driven into RAF Marham; ie: the tow car if the vehicle you’re using at the event is being towed
What's next - bank account numbers and PIN details?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's an active RAF base mate. You not about to waltz in there without clearance..

For those that have no interest in this event and just want to knock it for one reason or another.. Feel free to set up your own thread rather than litter this one with criticism..

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

looks awesome, but kings lynn is just too far for a day out!

I've got a place at next springs Vmax due to having to drop out of one this year.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
My little bro works at Marham, I could use this as a chance to visit

I'll check my diary.
      11-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
That's my mate Mark driving the "bird strike" Evo. He wasn't too happy about the clean up operation required!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:21 AM   #16
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I could be on a German Autobahn for about £99 and I would have to fork out on a fire extinguisher
Appreciate 0