E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Blind gynocologist wanted

11-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beemer F30 335D

Blind gynocologist wanted

I've just spent over an hour, trying to change one H8 lamp for an led version, for the angel eyes. 2011 LCI xenon.

Eventually gave up and put the halogen back!.

I decided to change the drivers side first, since that looked the most awkward to get at. If I could change that one, the other should be easy... yeah. Right!
It was so difficult, i've done neither!

Might have been a mistake then?

I've never come across a bit of plastic with so many sharp bits.... Cuts your hand to ribbons.

The replacements are Xtec Genesis angel eyes.

There are three tabs on the lamp, which are the 'bayonet' locating tabs. On the original bulb, these are around 1mm thick.
On the led version, they are at least 2mm thick on a beautifully cast/machined piece of aluminium.
You need eyes on the end of your fingers.

It's impossible to see into the fitting to see if 2mm is too thick. Has anyone any info on this? I did have the lamp 'in' at one stage but it then came loose.
      11-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Its the metal clips behind that are a complete ball ache!

i spent hours trying to change my halogens to philips xtreme jobs and got very frustrated!
      11-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Any chance of some pics of the LEDs themselves (doesnt seem to be a pic on any websites I can find) and also of the final result - assuming you ever get them inserted.

I tried some £60 LEDs but they were quite dim and almost invisible in daylight which made them useless as DRLs.
I sent them back and but in some bright white xenon H8 bulbs (with a blue coating) at £20.
I just think running 2x35w lamps as sidelights is nuts and would like to change to LEDs if I can find something decent. My car is a 2009 LCI with adaptive xenon HIDs.
      11-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Not sure if these pics are any help?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...12&postcount=1

I'd be interested in changing mine - but all this hassle puts me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

You are trying to access it through the wheelarch?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep

My pre-lci, with halogens, had wheel arch access.
On this model, (2011 - LCI - adaptive xenon headlights) access from the wheel arch is not necessary/available.

What clips?

As far as I can make out from the instructions, the lamp is just twisted through approx 45degrees and it pulls out.

The problem is, getting your hand in there to do it...I eventually managed to get the bulb out.

Even worse, getting your hand/fingers in there to push the new one in and then twist it.
First, you cannot see to align the 3 locating/alignment tabs.
Second, you can't get your fingers in to twist it.
Third, the wires get in the way. I'm not sure if I got one trapped and was maybe the reason the lamp wouldn't seat properly and came loose.

And if there are any clips -?

The housing shown in the link in dopper99 s post is the same housing. It looks to me like the near side unit, which is the 'easiest' to access.

I've copied it here and the arrow shows the access hole. You can just see where the lamp has to go, as circled by the yellow line.

Bear in mind, the access hole is about 3 inches across and you have two fingers and a thumb up it from behind!

There are 4 leds - the white/yellow spots.
The whole assembly can be rotated once fitted into the housing to align the 'sweetspot' lamp bightness.

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll have a go at the near side housing, where it might just be possible to see into it at some stage.

Last edited by BigBanana; 11-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Extra picture
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I'm not a Gynocologist, but I'll take a look!
      11-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
jimmylimmy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 'charged VXR8

My knuckles are scraped from taking out the H8 Leds that I sold to another member on here!

My tips are as follows from when I fitted mine:

1) Park on a slope with the front end pointing upwards - when you lose you grip on the bulb, it wont roll onderneath the refelector. It got to the point I was contemplating having to remove the headlight to get the friggin bulb out again

2) Look through the headlight projector and you can see that the tabs are different shapes and angles. Mark the bulb heatsink to show where the top centre is once you have the tabs in the same position

3) once you have the LED stem inside the opening, use the mark you made to line up the tabs and slide in. Use a flat blade screw drive to slowly turn the bulb a quarter turn and bingo!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep

I had a half hearted go at the nearside lamp today, but its almost as awkward as the other. It was scraping my hand in exactly the same places as yesterday - which are still sore. I'll give up for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylimmy View Post
My knuckles are scraped from taking out the H8 Leds that I sold to another member on here!
3) once you have the LED stem inside the opening, use the mark you made to line up the tabs and slide in. Use a flat blade screw drive to slowly turn the bulb a quarter turn and bingo![/SIZE][/SIZE]
Where is the screwdriver blade applied?

I think for the price paid for these lamps, they should include f'ing fitting!
      11-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
jimmylimmy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 'charged VXR8

Mine were the LUX H8 V3's so have a built in metal heatsink with some grooves machined it that gave some purchase.

If yours are plastic, it might not be a good idea
Appreciate 0