E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Car feels sloshy. Need Alignment? Firestone ok?

01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Car feels sloshy. Need Alignment? Firestone ok?

Hey guys, a copule questions.

I used to have Dunlop M3 Sport snow tires on my stock rims until last week when I ran over a nail and had to get a new tire. I ended up replacing both rear tires with Bridgestone Blizzaks (Apparently the Dunlop M3 Sports aren't made anymore??) but now when i drive at high speed (80mph on the freeway) and make turns or change lanes, the car feels VERY sloshy. Even when keeping the steering wheel at a constant angle, the car turns very unpredictably and variably. This never happend when I had Dunlops on all 4 tires. Could this be because the alignment is off? Just from changing the rear tires?

Second question is... my friend told me that Firestone gives lifetime alignments for $189 (awesome deal). But... do they do a good job? I know alignment on BMWs is more complicated than most other cars.

Thanks!

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife

Last edited by skim7x; 01-03-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Blizzaks

I don't have an answer but a similar experience. A week ago I replaced my OEM RFT all seasons with Blizzak LM-25 RFT. Immediately I could feel the straight-line stability was worse. Before it was quite good; almost like on rails. It makes me more cautious on turns but no obvious problem. So I don't get it either. Did they screw up the alignment (intentionally/accidentally)? Could it be the tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
fibonacci
Fancy Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

It could be due to difference in the speed ratings, tread pattern, tire compound, and/or traction rating. I think the issue is the difference in speed rating - Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 tires are H or V rated "Performance Wintern/Snow"; Blizzaks "Studless Ice & Snow".

Bridgestone:

Dunlop

I doubt it's an alignment issues unless you were having issues "drifting" before, or recently hit something (curb, rock, horse, etc...)

Edit: Note that you're not going to get the same "driving on rails" traction as a set of dedicated performance tires from a set of all-season tires, and especially not from a set of snow tires. It's generally a trade-off.

2nd Edit: If you were advised to buy these tires from a particular shop/dealer, you should return and demand another set. It is not advisable to mix/match tires of different speed ratings, much less different categories altogether. It's not safe and from my own experience, I would generally not sell a customer tires if that was the only option we could provide - I'd sooner refer them to another shop that had the correct tires, or advise he/she change all 4.

Last edited by fibonacci; 01-04-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
335dye
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3 2020 BMW X3M COMP

Garage List
Not too sure about the alignment issue. But I have had issues with Firestone. I had a 2007 Saab 9-3 aero and had to get he brake calipers replaced. They installed the brake calipers wrong on one side. I think the clip on the caliper was installed wrong. I just thought it was crazy that a professional missed this simple mistake and I just noticed it out of the corner of my eye. I'm sure this was a one time mistake (hopefully). But I know in the Army we are supposed to have a supervisor and quality control check our helicopter work when we complete it. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
From what I've read, it's pretty technician specific whether they do a good job or not. The equipment firestone uses is pretty decent stuff. I found a store that my friend has used and had good success with.

I just got the prealignment slip from them and everything is all it of whack... not sure how it happened...

I'll update as to if this fixes the problem and other experience notes.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
fibonacci
Fancy Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
From what I've read, it's pretty technician specific whether they do a good job or not.
This is 100% true. You can have great techs at a mom & pop gas station, and a terrible certified tech at a dealership. So if you find someone - or know someone - with a good reputation, you should generally follow them wherever they go.

Sometimes it can be the shop though. Owners make more money when worker bees work faster, and so do the worker bees themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
OK so... as I said before, my alignment was all out of whack... so they re-aligned the car all back into spec and the car feels maybe 20% better, but the car STILL feels very sloshy... even going home, when I hit high speeds, I felt VERY unsure of the car... it feels almost as if the rims are rolling over the tire sidewall (obv that's not what's happening, but that's how it feels)... As a matter of fact, when at high speed making quick lane changes or taking freeway curves, the traction control light is blinking (this is at like 80 mph)... When I first turn to make the lane change, there is maybe 1/4 or 1/2 second delay for the car to make the move and a similar delay for the car to settle once I attempt to straighten the car out in the new lane.

I have limited experience with brand new snow tires... is there a break-in period where the tires may feel like this? Or maybe just the snow tires?

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
joro2077
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

I have the exact same experience with blizzaks, my guess its just the compound they are made of, but if someone have a better explanation I'll love to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joro2077 View Post
I have the exact same experience with blizzaks, my guess its just the compound they are made of, but if someone have a better explanation I'll love to hear it.
VERY interesting... how did you fix it? Or did it get better with some wear/tear?

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Second question is... my friend told me that Firestone gives lifetime alignments for $189 (awesome deal). But... do they do a good job? I know alignment on BMWs is more complicated than most other cars.

Thanks!

depends on the techs, but they probably won't touch a bmw with any kind of modified suspension.

alignments on bmws can be done by any fairly up to date hunter machine. the only thing technical people used to do was place weights to simulate a driver in the seat. I think the computer compensates for that now anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
joro2077
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

Quote:
VERY interesting... how did you fix it? Or did it get better with some wear/tear?
No fix yet, they still look brand new, hopefully get better with time, also very noisy (thats the price you gotta pay with snow tires () Replaced m3 subframe bushings. Next week, m3 wishbones and guide rods should help a little bit I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
fibonacci
Fancy Member
Rep

You said you replaced the rear with blizzaks. I assume you still have the dunlops on the front. As I mentioned earlier, they are different speed ratings and as such, tread compounds. Your front and rear sets will grip the road accordingly and non-uniformly.

You should not mix & match speed ratings or significant tread differences for reasons such as the symptoms you are presently noticing.
Appreciate 0