E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Change: Did Dealer Forget to Reset the Oil Computer?

06-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Oil Change: Did Dealer Forget to Reset the Oil Computer?

I have a 2009 335i with 6000 miles. It's been a year a so I took the car in for an oil change. After I got the car back, I noticed the computer is saying I need to change the oil again in 9000 miles or 4/2011. Did the dealer forget the reset the oil computer? If so, can I do it myself or do I need to take it back to them?

Last edited by alex2364; 06-30-2010 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
6000 + 9000 = 15000 mls which is annual service intervals on cars with synthetic oil.

15K or once a year.
Also depends on how the car is driven.

Maintenance covers everything under warranty

Direct from BMW USA.com

We design extraordinary cars. It only seems right to offer a service plan to match.
Only BMW offers a comprehensive suite of premium vehicle maintenance services for absolutely no cost: buy a BMW now and pay no maintenance costs for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Featuring the following services, BMW Ultimate Service™ lives up to its name:
New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty: This warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, so you can rest assured your BMW will perform as expected.
BMW Maintenance Program: One of the most comprehensive maintenance programs in its class, covering all factory-recommended maintenance services during the New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty Coverage Period, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear, such as brake pads, brake discs and wiper blade inserts.
Four years of the BMW Assist™ Safety Plan: Many 2007 and later models include a four-year, unlimited mileage subscription to the BMW Assist™ Safety Plan including TeleService, an exclusive BMW benefit which allows your vehicle to contact your BMW center directly when it needs service or maintenance.
Unlimited-Mileage Roadside Assistance: Receive Roadside Assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for the first four years of ownership, without any mileage limitation.
No other premium automaker provides such comprehensive benefits for absolutely no cost. So while other car owners will incur from several hundred to over one thousand dollars of maintenance or repair costs during the first 4 years they own their vehicles, you pay nothing for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles.

After all, an Ultimate Driving Machine® - and its driver - deserve nothing less than BMW Ultimate Service™.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
imperium2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 Coupe

No.There is a yearly oil change schedule and a 15k service schedule with also includes another oil change. So you could get 2 oil changes within a few months of each other.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
BriMc
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Don't reset it, they did you a favor! You get 2x the oil changes for free!

My SA does did this for me a few months ago, I got my 1 year done, and they didn't reset it, so I'll get another free one in 4k miles, right before my maintenance expires in December.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Low Mileage Oil Service

http://www.motorwerksbmw.com/bmw-maintenance.aspx
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMc View Post
Don't reset it, they did you a favor! You get 2x the oil changes for free!

My SA does did this for me a few months ago, I got my 1 year done, and they didn't reset it, so I'll get another free one in 4k miles, right before my maintenance expires in December.
He did not do you a favor, this is how it supposed to be done. "Low mileage" (yearly) oil changes are not supposed to have the computer reset.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium2000 View Post
No.There is a yearly oil change schedule and a 15k service schedule with also includes another oil change. So you could get 2 oil changes within a few months of each other.
It is not a 15k schedule. You get the yearly change plus whatever the cars condition based service calls for. Depending on driving patterns that may be far more or somewhat less than 15k miles. If you take a lot of long trips the CBS will call for a longer interval. I had a 2007 E92 that I took on a couple really long (3k miles or so) trips and this pushed the oil service out to almost 21k miles. So what you want is a yearly change on your car's birthday plus whatever CBS calls for. As others mentioned, sometimes this results in oil changes only a couple months apart.
Appreciate 0