E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Need help wiring the Daeos / Vista BMW Angel Eye DRL Harness

01-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Need help wiring the Daeos / Vista BMW Angel Eye DRL Harness

I purchased the harness from distantxtremes which comes with no instructions except the following i got from email

HARNESS = VEHICLE
Red Wire with Fuse Holder = Red Wire/White Stripe (POWER)
Red Wire with Insulated Male Spade Terminal = Yellow Wire/Blue Stripe (LOW BEAM WIRE)
White Wire with Insulated Male Spade Terminal = Black Wire/Green Stripe or Blue Wire/Green Stripe (PASSENGER SIDE HALO WIRE)
Black Wire with Ring Terminal = Metal Ground Stud on PASSENGER SIDE (GROUND)
Black Wire with Insulated Male Spade Terminal = Black Wire/Green Stripe or Blue Wire/Green Stripe (DRIVER SIDE HALO WIRE)

So I followed this PDF (http://www.namotorsports.net/docs/VIE90DRLHarness.pdf)

I've got everything hooked up and now when I put the key fob in and press start. . . none of the halos turn on. But my passenger side headlight is on
(with light switch in the off position)

If I press the lock and unlock button, the passenger side headlight blinks with the beeps.
[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9sBMW View Post
Red Wire with Insulated Male Spade Terminal = Yellow Wire/Blue Stripe (LOW BEAM WIRE)
White Wire with Insulated Male Spade Terminal = Black Wire/Green Stripe or Blue Wire/Green Stripe (PASSENGER SIDE HALO WIRE)
Try swapping those ^^ two. I just installed mine today (waiting on the LCI headlights to show up tomorrow), and I followed the instructions off of DistantXtreme's site, and they were the same as what you mentioned with the exception of those two wires (which they had swapped).

As I said, I don't know if this works by experience yet. The headlights are going to show up tomorrow, so I should know more by then.

Please let me know if that works!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8ksn View Post
Try swapping those ^^ two. I just installed mine today (waiting on the LCI headlights to show up tomorrow), and I followed the instructions off of DistantXtreme's site, and they were the same as what you mentioned with the exception of those two wires (which they had swapped).

As I said, I don't know if this works by experience yet. The headlights are going to show up tomorrow, so I should know more by then.

Please let me know if that works!
I had the same problem yesterday also. The white wire needed to go to yellow/green stripe and red to black/green. Also when looking for red/white stripe in fuse box their are numerous red/white and you need to probe around with tester. After finding the correct power source no problems and if you leave headlight switch in auto mode the angel eyes will light when locking and unlocking doors. If you put headlight switch in parking light mode you will get error on dash. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by BOBKUR; 01-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: more explanation
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
I had the same problem yesterday also. The white wire needed to go to yellow/green stripe and red to black/green. Also when looking for red/white stripe in fuse box their are numerous red/white and you need to probe around with tester. After finding the correct power source no problems and if you leave headlight switch in auto mode the angel eyes will light when locking and unlocking doors. If you put headlight switch in parking light mode you will get error on dash. GOOD LUCK.
Good information. Do you have an FRM1 or 2?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Good information. Do you have an FRM1 or 2?
FRM 2 08 328I with 05/08 build
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FRM 2 08 328I with 05/08 build
You could just get the FRM2 coded to run the halos as DRLs and forgo the Daeos harness.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
You could just get the FRM2 coded to run the halos as DRLs and forgo the Daeos harness.
I need to find a coder that is local to me then I will remove harness.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
I purchased the harness from distantxtremes which comes with no instructions except the following i got from email

HARNESS = VEHICLE
Red Wire with Fuse Holder = Red Wire/White Stripe (POWER)
Black Wire with Ring Terminal = Metal Ground Stud on PASSENGER SIDE (GROUND)
Black Wire with Insulated Male Spade Terminal = Black Wire/Green Stripe or Blue Wire/Green Stripe (DRIVER SIDE HALO WIRE)

So I followed this PDF (http://www.namotorsports.net/docs/VIE90DRLHarness.pdf)

I've got everything hooked up and now when I put the key fob in and press start. . . none of the halos turn on. But my passenger side headlight is on
(with light switch in the off position)

If I press the lock and unlock button, the passenger side headlight blinks with the beeps.
On my car I had 2 black/green wires at the headlights and the one you want to hook to is in position #1 which is the smaller gauge black/green.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On my car I had 2 black/green wires at the headlights and the one you want to hook to is in position #1 which is the smaller gauge black/green.
Do you have xenons or halogens?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do you have xenons or halogens?
LCI halogens.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
switching the wiring worked for my passenger side.

Red to Black wire/green stripe
White to Yellow wire/ blue stripe.

But my driver side wasnt working with the Blue wire/green stripe so I had to remove the T tap and place it on the Black wire/ green stripe.

After those 3 changes the halos work as DRL.

Mine is 3/07 build. . . . could I have coded these instead of the harness as well?
[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
switching the wiring worked for my passenger side.

Red to Black wire/green stripe
White to Yellow wire/ blue stripe.

But my driver side wasnt working with the Blue wire/green stripe so I had to remove the T tap and place it on the Black wire/ green stripe.

After those 3 changes the halos work as DRL.

Mine is 3/07 build. . . . could I have coded these instead of the harness as well?
I don't think you could have. Your vehicle should have an FRM1 if I am not mistaken, in which case you need the harness or FRM2.

I installed the LCI halogens today with the harness and it all worked great!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Chinatown
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i E90

I am in the process of installing my harness and I cannot seem to figure out why it is not working. I have checked all connections several times. The instructions say "Key on, and leave headlight switch OFF..." Does this mean put the key in the ignition so that accessories turn on? OR does this mean key in and start car?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinatown View Post
I am in the process of installing my harness and I cannot seem to figure out why it is not working. I have checked all connections several times. The instructions say "Key on, and leave headlight switch OFF..." Does this mean put the key in the ignition so that accessories turn on? OR does this mean key in and start car?
What installation guide did you use?

I used http://www.distantxtremes.com/upload...antxtremes.pdf

I had problem when I tried Blue Wire/Green Stripe

switched both sides and tapped Black Wire/Green Stripe

and it worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
Chinatown
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i E90

That is the guide I used. My AEs are now lit up in all light modes, even the off position when the car is running. When the key is set to accessory mode and the car is not running the AEs only light up when the switch is turned to on. Is this the same as your experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Yes. . . they are working as intended (Angel Eyes as Daytime Running Lights) with the switch in the off position.

I always leave mine in the "auto" mode. . that way the AE's blink on and off when you lock and unlock your doors with they key fob.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

I recently received and installed the daeos/vista angel eye harness for my BMW E90. Everything appears to be working perfectly except, I notice when I shut off the car, close the door and arm the alarm, the angel eyes now stay on for a while before shutting off. That isn't such a big issue, however at the mall today I parked the car at the indoor garage, I shut it off, close the door and armed the alarm and the angel eyes stood on for several minutes. I got tired of waiting for the lights to go out so I got back in the car, turned it on and back off again and eventually they shut off. Why does it do this?

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
toicy4ya. . . i noticed the same thing when in a parking garage. They eventually turn off like u said.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
i have a used set for sale if anyone interested...$35 shipped
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
ajm8127
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
I recently received and installed the daeos/vista angel eye harness for my BMW E90. Everything appears to be working perfectly except, I notice when I shut off the car, close the door and arm the alarm, the angel eyes now stay on for a while before shutting off. That isn't such a big issue, however at the mall today I parked the car at the indoor garage, I shut it off, close the door and armed the alarm and the angel eyes stood on for several minutes. I got tired of waiting for the lights to go out so I got back in the car, turned it on and back off again and eventually they shut off. Why does it do this?
The wire they are tapping for power inside the DME enclosure must have power for some time after the car is shut down. Probably until the DME goes to sleep. It is probably not a big deal, unless you really are annoyed by the AEs being on after you shut off the car. If you are that annoyed, you will have to find a different wire to power the AE harness that only has power while the ignition is on.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
lorpatho
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
Happens sometimes and I noticed it after like a long drive or initial drive after the car sit over night or for a long time. I was worry when it happen at first and checked and it will turn off down the road. Sometimes could be long like 6-8 mins but they will shut off
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
kerwin8r
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i F10 Sedan

After lots of searching around for a solution to my install issues and error codes, what finally worked for me was finding the right power wire.

For the power wire I do not have a red w/ white stripe as most installs refer to (I have a smaller gauge white w/ red but that never worked), so I eventually clamped onto a thicker gauge red w/ yellow stripe wire and that worked. It was one coming from the cluster closest to the glove box.

My other wires were black to ground. Passenger side black to black w/ green and white to yellow w/ blue (I did not have a red headlight wire with my harness as most seem to). Driver side was black to black w/ green.

Hope this helps someone else. 2007 335i sedan.
Appreciate 0