E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Navigation Cuts Out

12-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Ensign
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

I have a 2007 328xi coupe with navigation. About 3 months ago a rattle started within the dashboard. It's difficult to determine the precise location, but it only occurs when road vibration hits the right "note." (It sounds like screw vibrating on a tin plate). Shortly after I noticed this rattle, the navigation system began cutting out after a longer drives, between 60 - 90 minutes. It works fine during short drives around town (when I don't need it) Ejecting the the disc and re-inserting it does not help. Shutting the car off for a short period and turning it back on does not help either. The only thing that works is shutting the car off for an extended period. I don't know if the rattle and the navigation malfunction are related, but it is coincidental. I'm curious if others have had a similar problem with the navigation system and/or if anyone has suggestions on how to correct the problem. I am reluctant to tear into the dashboard as that may result in creating more rattles, but it would seem that I don't have a choice. My car is out of warranty.

Last edited by Ensign; 07-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: more detailed vehicle description
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Ensign
United_States
Rep

The navigation cuts out sooner as the weather warmed up. The warmer the temperature the sooner it would cut out. I removed the unit to test the cooling fan, but it worked properly so I re-installed the unit.

I considered buying a used unit on e-bay for $550, but instead bought a new DVD drive from bavauto.com for about $112, plus shipping. To install the new drive, the unit had to be removed from the car and the CD drive removed from the unit to get to the DVD drive. It took a few hours due to my inexperience, but the navigation works fine now.

Does anyone know if the DVD drive that I replaced has any value?

Last edited by Ensign; 07-21-2012 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
nasa60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

My 08 just started a thing where the map goes away and can't be pulled back up. Sometimes, if I eject and reinsert the DVD, it works for awhile. When the map disappears, the Trip display comes up in its place and the map views are grayed out. Is this what you experienced?
      07-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
The navigation cut out sooner as the weather warmed up. The warmer the temperature the sooner it would cut out. I removed the unit to test the cooling fan, but it worked properly so I re-installed the unit.

I considered buying a used unit on e-bay for $550, but instead bought a new DVD drive from bavauto.com for about $112, plus shipping. To install the new drive, the unit had to be removed from the car and the CD drive removed from the unit to get to the DVD drive. It took a few hours due to me inexperience, but the navigation works fine now.

Does anyone know if the DVD drive that I replaced has any value?
have details on the DVD drive part #/link to order?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Ensign
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa60 View Post
My 08 just started a thing where the map goes away and can't be pulled back up. Sometimes, if I eject and reinsert the DVD, it works for awhile. When the map disappears, the Trip display comes up in its place and the map views are grayed out. Is this what you experienced?
That pretty much describes what I was experiencing.

The part number for the DVD drive that I used is 65 83 9 241 764

bavauto.com sells the part for $111.95 plus shipping
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
nasa60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
That pretty much describes what I was experiencing.

The part number for the DVD drive that I used is 65 83 9 241 764

bavauto.com sells the part for $111.95 plus shipping
Update on mine. I had been using a DVD that was a copy of the 2011 map DVD. I bought it from a member on here. It had been working fine for 5-6 months. I decided to go back to the 2008 DVD that came with the car as a troubleshooting measure before I went down the path of replacing the DVD drive. The unit has worked fine for 2 days so far. I'm hoping maybe it was just a problem with the DVD.