E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Been In For First Service And Bmw May Have Fucked 335d

Closed Thread

09-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #89
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
You not going to post up a copy of the letter, for us all to see??
      09-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #90
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
yes i will do, give me some time... it is safe to do so do you think Gordon>?
      09-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #91
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post

Now, no more talk of your dad's potentially f*cked engine, ok!

Viv
nicely summed up Viv
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #92
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
and what im annoyed about is that everyone is like ''your car is ok''

how the hell can you say that..
Well done for finally seeing the light Carlos and writing to your dealer and BMW UK. But if you're so convinced that something's wrong, then get it checked before you do yourself a mischief. We might not be able to say categorically that no harm was done, but we can do so with more certainty that you can say something was harmed. See what I mean? So get the car checked, by BMW UK if necessary, or another dealer, then, if anything is wrong, I'm sure we'll all happily eat our hats and say you were right all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMWard View Post
Just to stir it up a little more, there have been problems with the low oil level sensor on BMW six cylinder diesels. They were showing low oil when the dipstick was showing full.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Here we go again.............
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #93
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Safe? You mean in case BMW/the dealer is aware of this forum/thread? I don't think there is anything wrong in saying "this is the letter I am going to send to BMW/the dealer"...

I think you have probably already made an impression on them by calling them "incompetant tossers" and refer to the technician as a "dumb c***"!!!
      09-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #94
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
nicely summed up Viv
Someone should make you a moderator Viv
      09-12-2007, 07:06 AM   #95
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
yes i will do, give me some time... it is safe to do so do you think Gordon>?
Very safe indeed, Carletterwriter.

I think I speak on behalf of all of us, when I say we'd love to read what you've written!

We could post it as a 'sticky' template, just in case future members end up in a similar situation & need to similarly vent their frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
nicely summed up Viv
Thanks Pete- I thought you'd like that!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:06 AM   #96
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Safe? You mean in case BMW/the dealer is aware of this forum/thread? I don't think there is anything wrong in saying "this is the letter I am going to send to BMW/the dealer"...

I think you have probably already made an impression on them by calling them "incompetant tossers" and refer to the technician as a "dumb c***"!!!
i didnt say that to their faces
      09-12-2007, 07:08 AM   #97
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh yes! If they have been reading I'm sure they'll be only too happy to help...... They're probably having new name badges made up right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:14 AM   #98
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You not going to post up a copy of the letter, for us all to see??
Below is a copy of the letter sent to the Dealer Principle of the Dealership which serviced my car!

* i have removed the dealers, and my address from the letter*

Dear Mr Jolly, Reference **O7DXB service

I bought a £41,500 BMW 335d because I was convinced it was the best manufactured diesel performance coupe on the market supported by the most professional dealer network in the market place.
Why do I pay £401.60 for a BMW service? Assurance, warranty, peace of mind and to ensure the longevity of the life of the motor! The same reasons that I use BP Ultimate Diesel fuel!
Well what a disappointment it was to find when arriving home at ******* that the oil level was at the minimum. How many litres does it take to reach the minimum?
Five litres? Why did you charge me for seven and a half? Did the mechanic think he was servicing a 4 cylinder engine with a smaller sump capacity? Is your oil dispenser faulty? Of course these are not the issues. The issue is that you allowed the car out of the workshop without checking its level. This clearly demonstrates your lack of the appropriate standards. How can I trust that you are completing the rest of the service correctly? When I have had a 15 year relationship with my local garage who would carry out the service for £140.00 . Why should I use the BMW franchised dealer network for the servicing? Because I want the warranty, assurance and peace of mind that the job has been done to the BMW manufacturers recommended standard. Well you have failed.!!
I have travelled 16 miles from your workshop to my home up and down hills where potentially the engine and turbos could be starved of oil. Furthermore the mileage recorded on the speedometer at the point of collection was 6 miles more than that recorded in the service book. Where was it taken and was this after the service and if so it further compounds my concerns about the low level of oil.
I wish to have a copy of the engineers report from the service and from the call out made to my home that you reluctantly agreed to after initially suggesting I drive the car back to your workshop when it is short of oil. Another shock for me! This was following your first suggestion for me to buy a litre of oil,top it up myself and send you the bill.Does this mean I can do my own oil service ? What if there was an oil leak! Doh!The engine was topped up by your engineer using 1.75 litres of oil! I am lost for words and ask for your advice on what action I should now take regarding the potential long term damage that may have been inflicted on my car.
I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely

Carl *****
      09-12-2007, 07:16 AM   #99
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMWard View Post
Just to stir it up a little more, there have been problems with the low oil level sensor on BMW six cylinder diesels. They were showing low oil when the dipstick was showing full.

The X5 we have at work had its sensor changed under warranty.

Regards

Chris
Quote:
if that is true, then i would say even if oil pressure had dropped off momentarily them the alarm bells would have not rung obviously

now im depressed
Two different things Carl. BMW fit a low level sensor as well as a pressure sensor. Therfore you should get a low level reported well before the pressure drops. Stops those expensive problems you're worried about.

Good lad on the letter. Don't let them get away with it, but I think you could be a little bit calmer about it.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #100
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Oh yes! If they have been reading I'm sure they'll be only too happy to help...... They're probably having new name badges made up right now.
They're doing it as we speak!

Viv
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #101
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Below is a copy of the letter sent to the Dealer Principle of the Dealership which serviced my car!

* i have removed the dealers, and my address from the letter*

Dear Mr Jolly, Reference **O7DXB service

I bought a £41,500 BMW 335d because I was convinced it was the best manufactured diesel performance coupe on the market supported by the most professional dealer network in the market place.
Why do I pay £401.60 for a BMW service? Assurance, warranty, peace of mind and to ensure the longevity of the life of the motor! The same reasons that I use BP Ultimate Diesel fuel!
Well what a disappointment it was to find when arriving home at ******* that the oil level was at the minimum. How many litres does it take to reach the minimum?
Five litres? Why did you charge me for seven and a half? Did the mechanic think he was servicing a 4 cylinder engine with a smaller sump capacity? Is your oil dispenser faulty? Of course these are not the issues. The issue is that you allowed the car out of the workshop without checking its level. This clearly demonstrates your lack of the appropriate standards. How can I trust that you are completing the rest of the service correctly? When I have had a 15 year relationship with my local garage who would carry out the service for £140.00 . Why should I use the BMW franchised dealer network for the servicing? Because I want the warranty, assurance and peace of mind that the job has been done to the BMW manufacturers recommended standard. Well you have failed.!!
I have travelled 16 miles from your workshop to my home up and down hills where potentially the engine and turbos could be starved of oil. Furthermore the mileage recorded on the speedometer at the point of collection was 6 miles more than that recorded in the service book. Where was it taken and was this after the service and if so it further compounds my concerns about the low level of oil.
I wish to have a copy of the engineers report from the service and from the call out made to my home that you reluctantly agreed to after initially suggesting I drive the car back to your workshop when it is short of oil. Another shock for me! This was following your first suggestion for me to buy a litre of oil,top it up myself and send you the bill.Does this mean I can do my own oil service ? What if there was an oil leak! Doh!The engine was topped up by your engineer using 1.75 litres of oil! I am lost for words and ask for your advice on what action I should now take regarding the potential long term damage that may have been inflicted on my car.
I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely

Carl *****
I'm particularly impressed with the use of the classic Simpson's phrase, 'Doh'. This demonstrates an enviable ability to interject popular culture into a formal letter of complaint. I'd sure as hell be impressed. The use of the first person at the beginning of the letter is also noteworthy.

Piss taking aside, hope you get a positive response.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #102
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
They're doing it as we speak!

Viv
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #103
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
I'm particularly impressed with the use of the classic Simpson's phrase, 'Doh'. This demonstrates an enviable ability to interject popular culture into a formal letter of complaint. I'd sure as hell be impressed. The use of the first person at the beginning of the letter is also noteworthy.

Piss taking aside, hope you get a positive response.
Honestly do you think the letter is any good?

well i took it for the service, i paid for the service, i drive the car everyday.. i needed to write it from me.. no point getting daddy to sign it
      09-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #104
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly do you think the letter is any good?

well i took it for the service, i paid for the service, i drive the car everyday.. i needed to write it from me.. no point getting daddy to sign it
Honestly...I think that it really needs to be restructured. Make your points politely but firmly and consider using bullet points to ensure that the letter is succint. Don't use non-standard English. Slang is an absolute no-no in a formal letter. Avoid the exclamation mark and consider your use of questions.

Draft what you want to say
Write it out
Re-read and re-structure
Ask someone to check it over

http://www.usingenglish.com/resource...r-writing.html

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:03 AM   #105
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I'd drop the "Doh"
And stop referring to a 400 quid "service" - brakes etc. aren't part of the service presumably?
I'd not start a sentence with "When I have had...." that one doesn't seem to make sense.
Structure it with spacing and bullet points, number the questions if you like. Try to remain calm but firm.

Good start. Definitely drop the "doh" !
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #106
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Carl, I actually counted 9 questions in your letter, although you do summarise by asking: "for your advice on what action I should now take regarding the potential long term damage that may have been inflicted on my car".

I think you need to ask yourself what you want from all of this. I am guessing that the dealer will be extremely apologetic and assure you that no long term damage has been done... what more do you want to hear? Are you looking for compensation of some kind, do you want the Technician that serviced the car sacked... ask yourself what you want the outcome of your complaint to be.

I nearly choked on my lunch when I read your comment: "I am lost for words"

To be honest, you might get peace of mind a lot quicker by just speaking to the Service Manager, either over the phone or in person.

Good luck.
      09-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #107
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I agree with Z4's comments apart from speaking to them. You've done that, you now want a response in writing.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #108
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
all i am wanting is the engine/turbo's garunteed much longer, ie 100k
      09-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #109
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I very much doubt they'll do that. That would be like them admitting damage may/has been done. It would also be betterment as you didn't have that guarantee beforehand and they could've gone. And why do you care...you won't have the car then surely?!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #110
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
i rekon so chap, 6 months in and 20k already