E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

12-29-2010, 05:11 AM   #705
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyD View Post
Colsen, I assume that you have had trouble with both of them and if so did they both share the same problems?

How did the dealer treat you since you had two of the same vehicles?
what problems did you have (hope the list aint to long)
Yes I had the same problem with both. My 07 was literally one of the first 2.0i engine off the factory line & my dealer was fantastic, bought it back a year later from me and replaced with another identical model... I should have changed the the diesel instead! After another 1 year with the 08 the same faults started occuring, and after it was at the dealers for a week without them finding anything I part ex'd it for a merc as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle for another 2 years of ownership.

To be fair the dealer was very good to me, all in all they are great cars, and still stunning to look at, but the 2.0i engine just isn't up to scratch.

If you look on autotrader.co.uk it's amazing how much cheaper 2.0i the petrol variations are compared to the 2.0d. I know petrols are generally cheaper, but some are up to £4k cheaper for same spec and mileage.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #706
eimer3107
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport Le Mans Blue

I'm stuck with my mid-07 320i for another 6 months as it's a company car. I've done approx 65000 miles.

First ignition coil went around a year ago, since then I've had two injectors and two further coils go. I've complained and complained to both the fleet management and the dealer that there is clearly a prob, and that all remaining original injectors and coils should be replaced. The dealer agrees with me, but says BMW will only let them fix on fail, as it's not cost-effective to do otherwise (although the car is now out of warranty).

So far as I'm concerned, the car is an unreliable heap of junk.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #707
steve_jones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320 Msport

Hi ive got a 320 msport 2007 and i think i have the same problem, when pulling off at low revs the car seems to judder its been really bad today in. Traffic. I have to give it more revs pulling off or let the clutch out faster and it seems to pull off better, i have had no warning lights and performance seems fine apart from that. Sound familar ?

Thanks

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #708
leighboy
Rep
Drives: E92 320se

Have just had the engine warning light come on today. Car started to hop like a kangaroo, now very sluggish at low revs.
Phoned my dealer said I need to book it in on Monday for them to investigate, do they need too they should know the problem by now!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 04:43 AM   #709
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

I would suggest making them aware of this thread so that they can see you won't be 'fobbed off'.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #710
leighboy
Rep

I have spoken to the service manager and told him that I have been on the forum and expect it to be the coils or the injectors. he is aware of the problems and said that they keep a lot of these parts in stock!!!!
The cheek is they want £15 per day to supply a car while mine is off the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #711
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighboy View Post
I have spoken to the service manager and told him that I have been on the forum and expect it to be the coils or the injectors. he is aware of the problems and said that they keep a lot of these parts in stock!!!!
The cheek is they want £15 per day to supply a car while mine is off the road.
Have a read of this Courtesy car thread on the 1 series forum. If there is a reasonable insurance excess on the car, that's about par for the course.

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22855
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #712
leighboy
Rep

Thanks for that £1000 excess wow that could be a shock if you did not know.
I will ask when I am at Halliwell jones how much they put on.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #713
leighboy
Rep

Got car back from dealers today
New coil injectors and plug cylinder No 1. + new S/W download, dont know what version.
Appears to be running better will give it a few days to get a good run in.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #714
Rinos
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: E92 320i coupe

Ok first time poster
Hi to everyone
Just wanted to add my story.

--- Last November i got the engine management light and the car was shaking immensely
It was still within warranty so they changed an ignition coil and was fixed.

--- Around march i got the engine management light again and took it in. The mechanical engineer said it was probably because i had too little gas in the tank and the car might have sucked air.

--- The last month i was getting huge hesitations and lately with the A/C on i could not drive the car. I took it to the dealers and picked it up today. They changed the following:

1. Knock sensor
2. One ignition coil
3. NO2 sensor
4. Software update V.37

They said the knock sensor costs 500 euro and although it was out of warranty the dealer covered one-half of the cost and BMW the other half.
I was still left with an invoice of 180 euro.

I asked the engineer for his sincere opinion on whether i should sell the car. And he was absolutely against it. He said these problems should not deter me from enjoying the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinos View Post
After just a month of the above fix i got the yellow check engine light again and the car is shaking immensely and is impossible to drive

I think i bought a Lada Samara with a BMW badge
"Fixed" in August for the third time. They changed coils and injectors. After 5 months i got the engine management light again.

I am now sure that the situation is hopeless. I will see if i can make a deal with them and switch to a diesel one if possible. Are there any known problems with the diesel engine? I have read something about the turbos but am not completely sure
      02-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #715
PeKKeR
Pekker Coupe Sport
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E92 M-Sport

I solved all my problems when i stopped using 98 octane fuel, and started using 95 octane.

with 95 the car has a little less power, but its smoother, and the gap around 1800rpm is almost gone now.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #716
Rinos
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep

ela re file
Did you ever get the engine management light?
I was always using 95 but after they fixed the car for the 3rd time i started using 98 and it did it again.
I don't think its related to the octanes
      02-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #717
PeKKeR
Pekker Coupe Sport
Cyprus
Rep

i got the engine management light 3 times so far. each time they changed one coil . theres only one coil now which is unchanged and i expect it to fail some time in the next year.

as far as the octanes is concerned, i filled the tank six times with 95 and it was fine, and then i decided to put 98 after that and it started kicking again , feeling jittery, breaking up....on low rpms mainly. after the 98 ran our i used the good old 95 again and now i know for a fact that my beemer likes ONLY 95RON

other beemers might be different.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #718
Rinos
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeKKeR View Post
i got the engine management light 3 times so far. each time they changed one coil . theres only one coil now which is unchanged and i expect it to fail some time in the next year.

as far as the octanes is concerned, i filled the tank six times with 95 and it was fine, and then i decided to put 98 after that and it started kicking again , feeling jittery, breaking up....on low rpms mainly. after the 98 ran our i used the good old 95 again and now i know for a fact that my beemer likes ONLY 95RON

other beemers might be different.
hope it will work out for you but i really doubt it.
Look at my post number 714 and you will understand.
I have had enough. I am going down to the Mercedes dealer and check out the c-class
      02-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #719
PeKKeR
Pekker Coupe Sport
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
hope it will work out for you but i really doubt it.
Look at my post number 714 and you will understand.
I have had enough. I am going down to the Mercedes dealer and check out the c-class
are you going for petrol or diesel?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #720
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Just to clarify one more time: what grade of petrol you use makes *no difference whatsoever*. I had a fuel card and used VPower (or equivalent) in my 318i every time, and had problems non-stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #721
Rinos
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Just to clarify one more time: what grade of petrol you use makes *no difference whatsoever*. I had a fuel card and used VPower (or equivalent) in my 318i every time, and had problems non-stop.
what model year was your 318?
      02-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #722
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
what model year was your 318?
Mine was a 57 reg, Efficient Dynamics model 318i M Sport. I had a long battle to return my car, during which I was repeatedly lied to by BMW, BMW dealers, BMW Customer Service (what a misnomer!), etc.

Forget about replacing coils, sensors, software versions etc. The only way to get rid of the problems with these cars is to get rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #723
Rinos
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Mine was a 57 reg, Efficient Dynamics model 318i M Sport. I had a long battle to return my car, during which I was repeatedly lied to by BMW, BMW dealers, BMW Customer Service (what a misnomer!), etc.

Forget about replacing coils, sensors, software versions etc. The only way to get rid of the problems with these cars is to get rid of the car.
Excuse my ignorance but you also had these problems? I thought this problem was limited to the 2.0L 170hp engines. And from what i see now you have the 2.0 Diesel? How is that working out for you?
      02-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #724
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but you also had these problems? I thought this problem was limited to the 2.0L 170hp engines. And from what i see now you have the 2.0 Diesel? How is that working out for you?
It's teh same engine. The 318i is just a "tuned down" version.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #725
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The 320D is about ten times the car the 318i was, even leaving aside the problems documented in this thread. But I long to get back to a petrol engine, probably going to buy a 330i in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #726
Rinos
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
It's teh same engine. The 318i is just a "tuned down" version.
aham ok. What about the 316i? Any relation to the damned engine? Any documented problems?