E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > '08 AW/CR 335xi - i-sport springs, Bilsteins, Hyperblack 189's, Tint

04-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

'08 AW/CR 335xi - i-sport springs, Bilsteins, Hyperblack 189's, Tint

Hey what's up guys, I just posted some of these pics in the "pics/vids" section, but I wanted to make sure you guys saw how the i-sport springs and Bilsteins combo came out.
Car:
2008 AW/CR, Auto, Nav, Premium, Sport, 18" wheels, Procede V5, Nitto 555's, DCI

Suspension:
I picked up a set of used i-sport springs from a member online, and matched them to a set of the Bilsteins from Turner Motorsports. All I can say is WOW. This is how the car should have come from the factory. I have had a 335i before with the sport suspension and I am well-aware of how that rides/handles. If I was to rate the 335xi/335i Sport/335xi Sport With Bilstein combos on a scale from 1-10, it would probably be a 4/6/9 respectively. The sport springs give a slightly more firm ride and about 1" lower. I went from 15" from wheel-center to fender to about 14" in the front and 14.5" to 13.5" in the rear. Not slammed, but definitely how it should have come from the factory. The Bilsteins are, as usual, in a class all their own. Fantastic ride quality much smoother than stock (especially with the 555's - 4lbs/tire lighter than the runflats), the steering is much quicker to react and it soaks up bumps MUCH easier with no bounce what-so-ever. To compare, the stock suspension has roughly a 0.5" strut rod whereas the Bilsteins are at least 2" in diameter --- BEEFY. Highly recommend this combo.

Pics:

Last edited by 335iPSI; 06-26-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Awesome. Just was wondering though, I assume you're running Bilstein B8 sprints and not the Bilstein B6 HDs right?

I'm looking at getting a set of them myself. What rates are the i-springs at?
      04-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
Awesome. Just was wondering though, I assume you're running Bilstein B8 sprints and not the Bilstein B6 HDs right?

Yes the B8 is what I'm running. The i-springs are barely stiffer than stock, just a hair lower.
      04-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Looks good! Your Hyperblack looks dark and has a nice contrast with the AW. I Really like that look. It makes the car look clean and not overly done "Slammed race car look".

I am starting to get confused. I am getting Eibachs put on my car on Tuesday but from reading posts on the B8's people were saying they were way to harsh for roads that would require Xdrive.

You seem to think it is a smoother more comfortable ride?

Maybe it rides different on the e92 than an e90, or maybe springs, no matter what shocks you have, feel rough at first.

Anyway, car looks great, I kind of wish this is the set I was going with....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Looks good! Your Hyperblack looks dark and has a nice contrast with the AW. I Really like that look. It makes the car look clean and not overly done "Slammed race car look".

I am starting to get confused. I am getting Eibachs put on my car on Tuesday but from reading posts on the B8's people were saying they were way to harsh for roads that would require Xdrive.

You seem to think it is a smoother more comfortable ride?

Maybe it rides different on the e92 than an e90, or maybe springs, no matter what shocks you have, feel rough at first.

Anyway, car looks great, I kind of wish this is the set I was going with....
I have put Bilsteins on nearly every car in my signature for a couple of reasons. Without a doubt, the Bilsteins ALWAYS give a smoother ride than the stock suspension and ALWAYS help the car react much quicker. The stock xi shocks will ride horribly with the increased spring rate of the Eibachs in comparison to the Bilsteins.

What are your reasons for getting the springs? If you don't care about the height of the car, throw the Bilsteins on a set of the i-sport springs and you'll have a mild drop with a great ride.
      04-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

i actually liked the stock suspension as this is my cruiser car. that was until i flashed it and when u get on it, it feels like its completely out of control! it's so floaty that it feels like you don't know where the car is going to go. with that said, i'd like to tighten it up a tad i guess and maybe drop it just a bit so it doesn't look stupid when i put 19's on. i dont want anything rough like my evo though. again, i like the comfort of the stock setup so i don't want to lose that. do you really think this combo is more comfortable than stock while also tightening it up?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
MeeTsenPu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive

Looks great! Nice subtle drop
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
i actually liked the stock suspension as this is my cruiser car. that was until i flashed it and when u get on it, it feels like its completely out of control! it's so floaty that it feels like you don't know where the car is going to go. with that said, i'd like to tighten it up a tad i guess and maybe drop it just a bit so it doesn't look stupid when i put 19's on. i dont want anything rough like my evo though. again, i like the comfort of the stock setup so i don't want to lose that. do you really think this combo is more comfortable than stock while also tightening it up?
If you like the look of mine, just snag some i-sport springs, which will get rid of the 4x4 look that the xi's have stock --- and only run ya about $100. If you want another 1" or so of drop, get yourself some of the BMW Performance Springs from TischerBMW. And if you haven't had Bilsteins on a car before, you're missing out. They are one of the best dual-personality shocks on the market. These shocks get rid of ALL of that floaty feeling, way less dive when braking, cornering or accelerating --- no doubt helped by the i-sport springs lower center of gravity and slightly increased spring rate. They definitely ride better than stock and soak up bumps with ease. If you haven't already, ditch the runflat tires too.
      04-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
If you like the look of mine, just snag some i-sport springs, which will get rid of the 4x4 look that the xi's have stock --- and only run ya about $100. If you want another 1" or so of drop, get yourself some of the BMW Performance Springs from TischerBMW. And if you haven't had Bilsteins on a car before, you're missing out. They are one of the best dual-personality shocks on the market. These shocks get rid of ALL of that floaty feeling, way less dive when braking, cornering or accelerating --- no doubt helped by the i-sport springs lower center of gravity and slightly increased spring rate. They definitely ride better than stock and soak up bumps with ease. If you haven't already, ditch the runflat tires too.
The BMW performance springs fit? I thought the overall length on the front end would not fit?
My biggest concern with a drop is the harshness on the roads here in NY. Is the ride on this setup any stiffer than on stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
yes i have bilsteins on my evo right now. the ride is way too harsh for a daily driver and i'm on stock springs! thats why i have a bmw. i really don't want to make my bmw uncomfortable too, but the floatiness is just crazy now that i'm making 100hp over stock. i really have no idea where the car is going when i get on the gas. it's so disconnected it's crazy. i love it for long road trips and highway cruising, but for anything performance related this car is a joke. i would love to find that happy medium
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes i have bilsteins on my evo right now. the ride is way too harsh for a daily driver and i'm on stock springs! thats why i have a bmw. i really don't want to make my bmw uncomfortable too, but the floatiness is just crazy now that i'm making 100hp over stock. i really have no idea where the car is going when i get on the gas. it's so disconnected it's crazy. i love it for long road trips and highway cruising, but for anything performance related this car is a joke. i would love to find that happy medium
As you can see from my sig I've had an EVO as well... this rides no where near as harsh --- and I had the same bilsteins on my EVO. Snag the bilsteins and put them on stock springs or i-sport springs and you'll be a happy camper I promise. Rides smoother than stock, its ability to soak up bumps and keep the chassis in check is perfect.
      04-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

Quote:
Quote:

Yes the B8 is what I'm running. The i-springs are barely stiffer than stock, just a hair lower.
Turner motorsports doesn't say whether they r b6 or b8 for xi. It has sport ones which r b6. B8 are heavy duty ones. Last time I checked anyway.
      04-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
mattsfeir
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

So are the "i-sport springs" the sport package springs off a rwd e90 or e92?

I thought all (rwd and awd) e92's came with the sport pkg suspension while the e90's only got it with sport pkg and rwd.

Good to hear you like it, as I plan to do the same thing. Already have e90 sport pkg springs, just need the Bilsteins.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335!

hmm how much did this whole setup run you?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
Turner motorsports doesn't say whether they r b6 or b8 for xi. It has sport ones which r b6. B8 are heavy duty ones. Last time I checked anyway.
You have those backwards. It's the B8 Sprints and the B6 HD's (heavy duty).

The B8's are the sport.
      04-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
You have those backwards. It's the B8 Sprints and the B6 HD's (heavy duty).

The B8's are the sport.
O ya!!?? Anyway but check out what I mean. They just have the sport ones and not both!!
      04-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motastic View Post
hmm how much did this whole setup run you?
Springs were $90 used, Bilsteins were $650, powdercoating was $450.
      05-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #18
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

QUESTION:

What if you just put on I-Springs without the bilsteins? Did the bilsteins lower you or was the lowering part done solely by the springs?

Also, did you get e92 springs, e92 sport springs, e90 springs... are they all the same or do they need to be from an e92 for an e92 and sport package or doesn't matter?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #19
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
QUESTION:

What if you just put on I-Springs without the bilsteins? Did the bilsteins lower you or was the lowering part done solely by the springs?

Also, did you get e92 springs, e92 sport springs, e90 springs... are they all the same or do they need to be from an e92 for an e92 and sport package or doesn't matter?
the drop is soley due to the springs. the e90 and e92 sport springs are the same.

anyhow, i think i'm going to do this setup but i can't decide if i want the b6 or b8 struts. again, i want to keep this comfortable. if it gets harsh and uncomfortable my gf is going to leave me (jk but she loves how smooth it is stock).

my main goal is to lose the 4x4 look for when i put on the 19's and to gain a tad more control for when i get on the throttle. it is a little too floaty and uncontrollable for any sort of performance driving
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

This sounds like the best route to go, plus I think i might add the m3 sway bar.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

Quote:
the drop is soley due to the springs. the e90 and e92 sport springs are the same.

anyhow, i think i'm going to do this setup but i can't decide if i want the b6 or b8 struts. again, i want to keep this comfortable. if it gets harsh and uncomfortable my gf is going to leave me (jk but she loves how smooth it is stock).

my main goal is to lose the 4x4 look for when i put on the 19's and to gain a tad more control for when i get on the throttle. it is a little too floaty and uncontrollable for any sort of performance driving
So the i sport springs did the drop (clearly the car looks I would say like a stock 335i - the 4x4 look is gone.. the bilsteins played NO ROLE, in this.. this was again, 100% due to the i sport springs alone?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Im kinda curious why bilstein has not made sports for rwd models and only for xi models. Anyone know?
2020 M340
Appreciate 0