E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > xi with Bilstein HD and stock springs review

05-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #45
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
ccraig- did your car settle a little in the weeks/months after the install. I had heard the HD will raise the car considerably (~1/2") but will eventually settle down.
Unfortunately, I don't think they settled that much. It's been a year and a half now and as you can see from my pic in the link above, it's still higher than most people would like. Doesn't bother me though, I enjoy the ground clearance!

Last edited by ccraig13; 06-02-2014 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #46
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I installed HDs 3-4 months ago to replace my stock struts. 3 of my struts were completely blown (at 94k miles) and after I replaced them with HDs, my ride height was not any noticeable amount different. After the install I measured ~1/4" higher than before but that went away after a few laps around the neighborhood.
      06-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #47
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte460z View Post
I installed HDs 3-4 months ago to replace my stock struts. 3 of my struts were completely blown (at 94k miles) and after I replaced them with HDs, my ride height was not any noticeable amount different. After the install I measured ~1/4" higher than before but that went away after a few laps around the neighborhood.
Nice! How do you like the ride?
      06-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #48
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
Nice! How do you like the ride?
It feels awesome compared to stock. Potholes don't make you cringe and you can feel the difference in the turns.
      06-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #49
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte460z View Post
It feels awesome compared to stock. Potholes don't make you cringe and you can feel the difference in the turns.
I couldn't agree more about the potholes. I used to think my car was going to fall apart every time I hit one. Now it takes them with ease!
      06-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #50
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
If you got HDs for the front then get them for the rear as well. I don't think it's a good idea to mix and match suspension. Also, the HD's increase ride height, so if you have them on the front and get another brand/sport models on the back the "rake" look will be exacerbated.
Agree. Don't mix and match. They are engineered to work together, front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #51
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Just did this install over the weekend and what a great difference it made in the ride. The install took way longer than I planned for the fronts because I freaked myself out reading the BMW shop manual's warning about pulling out the front driveshafts. As a result, I didn't let the brake assembly go as low as it could have and that made installing the shock into the steering knuckle a real bear.

For people that are wondering if it raises the ride height, the answer is no with a but. After first installing and before a shakedown ride the car was nearly 2" higher than normal. This settled out after a short drive.

Before:
Name:  IMG_6261.JPG
Views: 1182
Size:  83.8 KB
Name:  IMG_6262.JPG
Views: 1191
Size:  81.0 KB

After:
Name:  IMG_6267.JPG
Views: 1192
Size:  72.5 KB
Name:  IMG_6265.JPG
Views: 1184
Size:  86.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #52
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigYahi View Post
For people that are wondering if it raises the ride height, the answer is no with a but. After first installing and before a shakedown ride the car was nearly 2" higher than normal. This settled out after a short drive.
Yeah, this also happens whenever you jack the car up. It's pretty funny looking
      06-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #53
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep

Oh good, something to look forward to.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #54
ZGator
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi, E36/7 Z3 2.3

Hello all,
I also just installed Bilstein HDs on my 2007 328xi, I had a broken coil spring as well, unknown until I was uninstalling the old ones. At that time I decided to replace both front springs and mounts - first broken spring I ever had in a car - bottom turn was missing, cracked off! I was lucky it did not puncture tire, and I wonder how long it was like that.

I have the exact gap measurements up front as theBigYahi, about 15", the rear are a little less. I had no idea about the "BMW shop manual's warning about pulling out the front driveshafts." mine where left hanging there for a day with calipers supported while I tried to get a new spring - of course all dealers had none in stock - I used a connection to an independent who was able to hook me up with new parts next day..

The result - no more ridiculous pot hole explosions over small dips and bumps. The crappy Sachs OEM were all dead or dying at 55k, so I would fully recommend this upgrade at 50k or less.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #55
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
The result - no more ridiculous pot hole explosions over small dips and bumps.
That's my favorite new feature!
      07-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #56
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
...I had no idea about the "BMW shop manual's warning about pulling out the front driveshafts." mine where left hanging there for a day with calipers supported while I tried to get a new spring ...
FYI, here's the passage that freaked me out. I got it done even being super careful about how low the brake assembly got, but it was a pain.

Name:  Risk of Damage.JPG
Views: 1164
Size:  50.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #57
BMWrush17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xDrive

Garage List
ccraig13 Do you have any insight if i bought the eibach pro kit springs (says it will lower the car 1 - 1.5 inches) and the bilstein hd would the net lowering be .5 inch to 1 inch? since the struts raise the car about a .5 inch? Thanks in advance for your help-
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #58
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrush17 View Post
ccraig13 Do you have any insight if i bought the eibach pro kit springs (says it will lower the car 1 - 1.5 inches) and the bilstein hd would the net lowering be .5 inch to 1 inch? since the struts raise the car about a .5 inch? Thanks in advance for your help-
From everything I've read, I'm told that's a bad idea. The HD struts are NOT meant for lowering and in doing so you will damage them long term. You want the Sport versions instead. They're meant for lowering.
      10-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #59
Harv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i, 69 2002, 77 530i

Just did this today! four new OE wheels (old ones were bent and I got a good price) Conti DWS tires and Billy HD's. I'm soooooo happy with the car now. And just like everyone else that does this, I'll say 'this is how the car should have been sold!" It's such a pleasure to drive now. I didn't measure the ride height before and after but i don't notice an increase in ride height. i live in Cleveland and use the car as a DD and also use it for ski trips. The stock ride height is OK with me.

Highly recommended!

John
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #60
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

for those with new HD shocks, if you think they feel a little harsh when first installed, that is a common issue. they will smooth out in the coming weeks and just get better with time.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #61
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750i

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
I'm glad to here all this about these shocks. I thought these shocks might be too harsh but it sounds like they are more comfortable the OEM. Looking to upgrade the wife's shocks in 6 months
      11-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #62
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
If you got HDs for the front then get them for the rear as well. I don't think it's a good idea to mix and match suspension. Also, the HD's increase ride height, so if you have them on the front and get another brand/sport models on the back the "rake" look will be exacerbated.

I'm running Hankook Ventus V12 with 38psi all the way around ( I mention that because at first I was running them at the runflat spec but that brought nothing but pain, suffering and loss of money... ). Car and Driver has a good wright up on the best non-Pilot Super Sports ( link ). The Hankooks came in 2nd. I was planning on trying the Kumho Ecstas next time since they came in 3rd, but their performance in the rain was poor. The Hankooks are amazing in the rain. In fact, I often find myself thinking that they handle better in it!
Interesting article; thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #63
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150
Quote:

I'm running Hankook Ventus V12 with 38psi all the way around ( I mention that because at first I was running them at the runflat spec but that brought nothing but pain, suffering and loss of money... ). Car and Driver has a good wright up on the best non-Pilot Super Sports ( link ). The Hankooks came in 2nd. I was planning on trying the Kumho Ecstas next time since they came in 3rd, but their performance in the rain was poor. The Hankooks are amazing in the rain. In fact, I often find myself thinking that they handle better in it!
Interesting article; thanks for the link.
I'm running Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires now. They got rave reviews. I honestly don't remember if they're better than the V12 tires though. They have a much higher tread life which is nice and the V12's didn't hold up well at the track (could have just been my tires, but they got damaged). The V12's are much cheaper so that's a plus. Not sure what I'll get next time, hopefully someone makes a tire that's even better by then!
      11-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #64
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

I just installed the Bilstein HD shocks on my '11 335i xDrive yesterday. I went to Rogue Engineering in Northern New Jersey.

I have put about 100 miles on them so far and my impressions are not as good as yours - most likely because I have some other issue after I hit 2 big potholes over a year ago, which made the car feel different and was immediately noticeable.

The car now is a little more controllable, but handling is only marginally better than before. It's only a little less bouncy than before and I still have to constantly make steering corrections every 1/2 sec. taking the joy out of it. What I was looking for was for the bounciness to go away and the car would be more stable on the highway like it used to be, but none of those things happened. I also replaced the upper shock bushings, and all the rear shock bushings upper & lower. I replaced the front Lower Control Arms too, as well as the front end-links! The car handles only slightly better which is really weird after new shocks and all the other parts I replaced (for nothing it looks like).

The one thing I did NOT replace was the springs. I am on stock springs. It is possible I have a bad spring because the rear seems to be sagging a lot and I only have about 1.5" wheel well gap back there after the HD install and still the same after 100 miles. So that's a lot less than you guys. The fronts are higher and look like everyone else's (in the pics).

Do you guys have free play in the steering wheel? I still do and was hoping this would fix it. This happened after I hit the first pot hole on the driver's side, and a few months later I hot another big one on the passenger side and things got really worse from there. I really thing I have a tie-rod problem. My car only has 35k miles with those 2 big potholes, anything could be damaged.. It must something that involves a ball-joint or some key bushing, all allowing for uneven wheel movement. I should not have free play in the steering.

Anyway, enjoy your HD's! My ride is a bit harsher than before believe it or not, but it was stated that the harshness goes away so I am hoping for that. I am also thinking now I have to replace the springs. The bounciness didn't go away, so I have to pay for labor again. Can I use Eibach or any other springs besides BMW OE springs? I really don't want to go with the same springs again. Besides they are way too expensive compared to aftermarket.

Thanks,
Harry
      11-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #65
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by only1harry View Post
I just installed the Bilstein HD shocks on my '11 335i xDrive yesterday. I went to Rogue Engineering in Northern New Jersey.

I have put about 100 miles on them so far and my impressions are not as good as yours - most likely because I have some other issue after I hit 2 big potholes over a year ago, which made the car feel different and was immediately noticeable.

The car now is a little more controllable, but handling is only marginally better than before. It's only a little less bouncy than before and I still have to constantly make steering corrections every 1/2 sec. taking the joy out of it. What I was looking for was for the bounciness to go away and the car would be more stable on the highway like it used to be, but none of those things happened. I also replaced the upper shock bushings, and all the rear shock bushings upper & lower. I replaced the front Lower Control Arms too, as well as the front end-links! The car handles only slightly better which is really weird after new shocks and all the other parts I replaced (for nothing it looks like).

The one thing I did NOT replace was the springs. I am on stock springs. It is possible I have a bad spring because the rear seems to be sagging a lot and I only have about 1.5" wheel well gap back there after the HD install and still the same after 100 miles. So that's a lot less than you guys. The fronts are higher and look like everyone else's (in the pics).

Do you guys have free play in the steering wheel? I still do and was hoping this would fix it. This happened after I hit the first pot hole on the driver's side, and a few months later I hot another big one on the passenger side and things got really worse from there. I really thing I have a tie-rod problem. My car only has 35k miles with those 2 big potholes, anything could be damaged.. It must something that involves a ball-joint or some key bushing, all allowing for uneven wheel movement. I should not have free play in the steering.

Anyway, enjoy your HD's! My ride is a bit harsher than before believe it or not, but it was stated that the harshness goes away so I am hoping for that. I am also thinking now I have to replace the springs. The bounciness didn't go away, so I have to pay for labor again. Can I use Eibach or any other springs besides BMW OE springs? I really don't want to go with the same springs again. Besides they are way too expensive compared to aftermarket.

Thanks,
Harry
Sounds like it's out of alignment. Have you gotten an alignment after those installs?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #66
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

I have gotten 6 or 7 alignments, over $1K worth. I am waiting for the car to settle a little being that I not only have new shocks but new LCA's too. Alignment does not make your car bouncy though or give you a lot of free play in the steering unless it WAY out of wack, but thanks for the suggestion.

Harry