E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 330i ZSP Owners w/AATune- would you buy again?

12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

330i ZSP Owners w/AATune- would you buy again?

Thinking seriously about getting the AA tune on my car.
Interested in better throttle response, and a little more top end.

Looking back, would you go for the AA again or would you buy something different, like lighter wheels?
      12-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecadman99 View Post

Looking back, would you go for the AA again or would you buy something different, like lighter wheels?
You do realize that ZSP is just a suspension, basically it's just sports springs. It does not improve your 0-60 performance in any way.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecadman99 View Post

AA tune is smooth with a nice power bump, definitely worth it. Lighter wheels are also a good investment. I bought Apex rims, square set-up. This should improve handling even further.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
You have worded your questions really strange; the AA tune is completely different than lighter wheels, you can have both!

I have said it once and I have said it again, anyone interested in going faster and having more fun (better throttle response) in a N52 should get the AA tune.

The only reason I would say not to get it is if you live in an area where you can only get low grade fuel (lower than 91 octane). The AA tune prevents you from "getting around" in crappier fuel as it is more tuned to higher octane fuels. The stock engine can modify the cam settings to run (albeit less power) on lower grade fuels.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
You do realize that ZSP is just a suspension, basically it's just sports springs. It does not improve your 0-60 performance in any way.
Sorry, should have said 330I with manual transmission, thanks for the clarification.
      12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
You have worded your questions really strange; the AA tune is completely different than lighter wheels, you can have both!

I have said it once and I have said it again, anyone interested in going faster and having more fun (better throttle response) in a N52 should get the AA tune.

The only reason I would say not to get it is if you live in an area where you can only get low grade fuel (lower than 91 octane). The AA tune prevents you from "getting around" in crappier fuel as it is more tuned to higher octane fuels. The stock engine can modify the cam settings to run (albeit less power) on lower grade fuels.
Just trying to make a comparison as to what everyone would rather spend their money on.

I always run 93 octane, I have tried "plus" which was 89, but I like the way my car feels on 93 much better.
I wonder if the difference in the AA tune vs stock is similar to stock with 93 octane vs stock with 87 regular (when the car "detunes")?

Last edited by thecadman99; 12-04-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
micano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

AA Tune is a definite must have mod. For the money and convenience it is great. Now the next best mod is to put that new power down to the ground and no better way than an LSD. Had WaveTrac installed last week and this is a whole new car. Pulling into traffic now is more fun! No more spinning tires and lights flashing in the dash. Just git n' go! Dan @ Diffsonline.com did the install into his carrier and shipped the complete pumpkin to me and it is working great.

Can't wait for snow and the LSD!
      12-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micano View Post
AA Tune is a definite must have mod. For the money and convenience it is great. Now the next best mod is to put that new power down to the ground and no better way than an LSD. Had WaveTrac installed last week and this is a whole new car. Pulling into traffic now is more fun! No more spinning tires and lights flashing in the dash. Just git n' go! Dan @ Diffsonline.com did the install into his carrier and shipped the complete pumpkin to me and it is working great.

Can't wait for snow and the LSD!
I find it difficult to believe that a LSD transformed your car for daily driving. If you were having that much traction issues under normal and spirited driving (not wet/snowy conditions) on stock power, it has be a function of the tires (lack of grip). The only time I feel the difference with my Quaife is powering out of the turns on track, everyday driving no real difference. Or you're driving incredibly recklessly on public roads lol.
      12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
micano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dude, no reason to be a track snob. Best example I can think of is accelerating from a dead stop into traffic making a right or a left. The standard open diff will take the least path of resistance and send all the power to the wheel with the least grip. Then the nannies kick in and put the brakes on the spinning tire to get some power to go to the side with the weight on it. While all of this happening traffic is moving at you. Now with the LSD this doesn't happen. Now put a little water on the road and it takes even longer to get going. All the power in the world mean nothing if you can't get it to the ground. I run P Zero Neros and straight line traction was never an issue. IMHO 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' should come with at least the option of an LSD in every model, not just the M Cars.
      12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

I guess everyone's experience is different.

An LSD with a shorter gear ratio will change street driving with added quickness, but an lsd on it's own won't, like dcsoff said.

The n52 isn't exactly a torque monster. I cant think of a time on dry street pavement that I ever thought "wow this car just smokes the right rear tire without even trying, I need to get rid of the one legger diff." Winter months, a different story. Autocross, of course. But regular street driving the stock rear was fine.

Again, your experience may vary.
      12-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
iczz
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 / F10 / F80

AA tune is way to go!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dude, no reason to be a track snob. Best example I can think of is accelerating from a dead stop into traffic making a right or a left. The standard open diff will take the least path of resistance and send all the power to the wheel with the least grip. Then the nannies kick in and put the brakes on the spinning tire to get some power to go to the side with the weight on it. While all of this happening traffic is moving at you. Now with the LSD this doesn't happen. Now put a little water on the road and it takes even longer to get going. All the power in the world mean nothing if you can't get it to the ground. I run P Zero Neros and straight line traction was never an issue. IMHO 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' should come with at least the option of an LSD in every model, not just the M Cars.
Nobody's being a snob, I'm just telling it how it is. I drove 4 months on my Quaife on public roads and could barely tell the difference it was there. If that's how you justify your $2k mod, by all means but don't convince others to drop that kind of coin if you don't know what you're talking about.

Telling OP a LSD is a "must" in order to put down his new found power of +5whp from the AA tune is just laughable. Transforming the car for everyday driving? Next thing you're going to tell me is the addition of an Afe intake will make your 328 sound like a "supercar" because of the intoxicating intake sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I guess everyone's experience is different.

An LSD with a shorter gear ratio will change street driving with added quickness, but an lsd on it's own won't, like dcsoff said.

The n52 isn't exactly a torque monster. I cant think of a time on dry street pavement that I ever thought "wow this car just smokes the right rear tire without even trying, I need to get rid of the one legger diff." Winter months, a different story. Autocross, of course. But regular street driving the stock rear was fine.

Again, your experience may vary.

Thank you.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-11-2012 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #13
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Nobody's being a snob, I'm just telling it how it is. I drove 4 months on my Quaife on public roads and could barely tell the difference it was there. If that's howyou justify your $2k mod, by all means but don't convince others to drop that kind of coin if you don't know what you're talking about.

Telling OP a LSD is a "must" in order to put down his new found power of +5whp from the AA tune is just laughable. Transforming the car for everyday driving? Next thing you're going to tell me is the addition of an Afe intake will make your 328 sound like a "supercar" because of the intoxicating intake sound.

Thank you.

hahah this is awesome.... my vote is extremely wreckless driving
      12-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
micano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sounds to me like a big difference in driving style, maybe roads and confidence in your equipment. I feel much more comfortable now with the LSD in situations where I want more traction. The open diff never gave me a sense of comfort and I would be more cautious. The LSD unleashed more of what a BMW should be. The additional torque with the AA tune is what I feel more that an HP boost.
The additional torque combined with the LSD has changed the character of the car.
Agreed the 2K for the LSD is steep, but the added trust in my equipment is priceless.
      12-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds to me like a big difference in driving style, maybe roads and confidence in your equipment. I feel much more comfortable now with the LSD in situations where I want more traction. The open diff never gave me a sense of comfort and I would be more cautious. The LSD unleashed more of what a BMW should be. The additional torque with the AA tune is what I feel more that an HP boost.
The additional torque combined with the LSD has changed the character of the car.
Agreed the 2K for the LSD is steep, but the added trust in my equipment is priceless.
I have full confidence in my car, I just don't drive anywhere near the limit on public roads where I need to test my confidence.
      12-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
micano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am sticking by the LSD is a great mod. Not only for the track, autocross but everyday driving in all conditions. Would put my $$ here before exhaust or intake.
@DSC_OFF maybe you should change your 'Drives: Flat out' to something a little more conservative.
      12-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczz View Post
AA tune is way to go!
I want to test out the throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am sticking by the LSD is a great mod. Not only for the track, autocross but everyday driving in all conditions. Would put my $$ here before exhaust or intake.
@DSC_OFF maybe you should change your 'Drives: Flat out' to something a little more conservative.
Just because I don't drive like an asshat on the street doesn't mean I don't push my car. And regarding your other post about my driving style & lack of confidence in my equipment, I guarantee you I've pushed my car WAY HARDER than you ever have going to CVS or whatever you do during your commute to spin those tires bad enough you need the LSD.

Simply put, on wet conditions it has its benefits but unless you're driving tail happy all day or have trouble putting down your [AA] power, it won't be noticeable on everyday driving. If you need traction, look at tires first.

EDIT - you should just put up a video of your normal driving and show when the LSD helps you, lol.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-11-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

You two little ladies need to get on a track and get messy. Only one way to solve this! Race for pinks!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Just because I don't drive like an asshat on the street doesn't mean I don't push my car. And regarding your other post about my lack of confidence in my equipment, I guarantee you I've pushed my car WAY HARDER than you ever have going to CVS or whatever you do during your commute to spin those tires bad enough you need the LSD.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
You two little ladies need to get on a track and get messy. Only one way to solve this! Race for pinks!
If LRP were open during the winter, I'd invite Micano to show him

1) my driving style and how much confidence I actually do have
2) how/when a LSD really benefits the car
      12-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

^^^

I promise that even talented car guys and guys who get paid big bucks to drive fast for a living would not be able to tell the difference between an n52 e90 with an open diff vs an e90 with an lsd all other things equal on dry roads and day to day driving.
      12-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep

Cmon! I need to find out who wins this argument so I know if I should get a LSD or not!

I'm having a problem right now though, I asked the guy at advance auto where I could get LSD and he told me his cousin...but it turns out his cousin had something else that didn't go in my car.

To each his own, but seriously I would sell my car and get an e46 m3 if I wanted limited slip. I just don't drive hard enough to need it.

OTOH better throttle response and a little more torque when pulling out/merging would be very handy, hence the questions about the Tune.
Thanks for the replies all.