E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Fiesta ST3 talk me out of it

10-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #1
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Fiesta ST3 talk me out of it

My search for a new car (currently 3 months into the search) has taken me through M3s, 996s, S4s, GTi's etc etc.... I even looked at a Chimera but the prospect of owning any of them just did nothing for me. Too fast and capable for fun on the road and too expensive to maintain (or if anything went wrong).

So I started looking at cheap hatches. Then I noticed these cheap leases on stock Fiesta ST3s. I drove one and thought it was decent. For some reason i prefer the idea of one of these to the idea of a Golf R which isn't a massive amount more on a lease (still a few thousand in it). I just imagine it will be a lot more fun a lot more of the time.

Am I mental? Is it a chav chariot? Is there an ACTUAL good reason not to?
      10-13-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
JesseJames
JC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93

Ford or VW....VW
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
If you are not a teenager then that is a good reason not to.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

The Fiesta is a young ones car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Fantastic car, ignore the usual comments as seen above. Drive one & you'll want one. I've got a bad urge for one but need the MPG of a diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0063 View Post
Fantastic car, ignore the usual comments as seen above. Drive one & you'll want one. I've got a bad urge for one but need the MPG of a diesel!
Why ignore the "usual comments"?

What kind of driver do you normally see driving Fiesta STs?

I think it's fair to say the vast majority of Fiesta ST owners are young ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Why ignore the "usual comments"?

What kind of driver do you normally see driving Fiesta STs?

I think it's fair to say the vast majority of Fiesta ST owners are young ones.
Stereotyping.

Yes you see a lot of 18-25 year olds driving them, however it doesn't mean they can't be driven by the older generation too. You have overlooked the fact OP hasn't mentioned his age, not that it matters. The comments seem to be very PH'Esque

OP, don't ever go on what other people tell you to do, or what they might think.

Any hot hatch you have to be prepared to get stereotypical 'Boy racer' type comments, however in reality hot hatches are some of the most fun you can have in a car.

I say go for it, if I could justify a petrol car I'd love one. Very quick for what they are, handle like they are on rails & don't look half bad!

To answer your question OP, no, there is not a good reason not to
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
M5rius
Banned
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 bmw e92  [9.00]
Guy at work has one in red/orange he in is 50's and looks like complete nob behind the wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Focus RS > Fiesta ST (depends on the deals you get if you really had to)

Fords are Learner cars mate we all know that. If you were that sure on it you wouldn't be making this thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #10
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Dashboard/interior is enough of a reason not to even entertain these, looks like some power rangers fan designed it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #11
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
OP, don't ever go on what other people tell you to do, or what they might think.
Why's he asking then?
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Stereotyping.

Yes you see a lot of 18-25 year olds driving them, however it doesn't mean they can't be driven by the older generation too. You have overlooked the fact OP hasn't mentioned his age, not that it matters. The comments seem to be very PH'Esque

Any hot hatch you have to be prepared to get stereotypical 'Boy racer' type comments, however in reality hot hatches are some of the most fun you can have in a car.

I say go for it, if I could justify a petrol car I'd love one. Very quick for what they are, handle like they are on rails & don't look half bad!

To answer your question OP, no, there is not a good reason not to
If you read Mowflows comments in the other what car thread, he answers his own question.

He recommended to someone else you should buy a hot hatch when you're young. The Fiesta isn't even a full blown hot hatch these days. The latest breed are all 250bhp+ and the Fiesta falls into the category behind that for those who don't have the big budget for a hot hatch.

I haven't overlooked his age. Mowflow has been on here for years. He's nearly a pensioner.

Everyone stereotypes although they pretend they don't.

Half the people on here bought a BMW for the badge on the bonnet.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #13
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Why's he asking then?
He shouldn't ask.

I learnt that a long time ago, the way to choose a car is to go out and drive them, find a car you like, not what other people like.

Why on earth would it matter what people on a car forum of a different marque think?

Prior to my E90 I ended up in an Astra J 1.7 CDTI because it was advised to me that it'd be a good choice, £30 a year tax, modern looking, reasonably nippy.

I had it exactly a month to the day, traded it in for the E90.. because I liked it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #14
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
He shouldn't ask.

I learnt that a long time ago, the way to choose a car is to go out and drive them, find a car you like, not what other people like.

Why on earth would it matter what people on a car forum of a different marque think?

Prior to my E90 I ended up in an Astra J 1.7 CDTI because it was advised to me that it'd be a good choice, £30 a year tax, modern looking, reasonably nippy.

I had it exactly a month to the day, traded it in for the E90.. because I liked it.
Well yes, I agree with that but since he's asking it presumably matters to him.

I also agree that if you're in your mid-forties then driving around in a lurid orange Ford Fiesta will make you look a bit of a cock.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

I see in your profile JJ0063 that you are 22.

That kind of fits with my theory that the Fiesta appeals more to young ones that old ones.

You are the age that Ford is aiming for.

I'm sure the vast majority of people in their 30s would feel out of place in a Fiesta ST. If they are happy with it, they should go for it.

However as you see, most older people feel a little uncomfortable with the stereotyping that comes with owning a Fiesta.

No matter how you pretend everyone does care.

You'll be speaking like us in 10 years time.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #16
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I see in your profile JJ0063 that you are 22.

That kind of fits with my theory that the Fiesta appeals more to young ones that old ones.

You are the age that Ford is aiming for.

I'm sure the vast majority of people in their 30s would feel out of place in a Fiesta ST. If they are happy with it, they should go for it.

However as you see, most older people feel a little uncomfortable with the stereotyping that comes with owning a Fiesta.

No matter how you pretend everyone does care.

You'll be speaking like us in 10 years time.

I, unfortunately, disagree.

Kerr you do seem to come across quite patronising which is a shame as it's not a good look.

I was merely stating the fact that the Fiesta is a good car if you can ignore the stereotypical comments that people such as yourself seem to insist on making.

From the industry I work in I often see blinkered views from people that will only drive a certain marque, it's comical as they more often than not have no experience of the vehicle they are giving their opinion of.

We've all seen the man in his 50's who has driven Saabs all his life, will only drive them, everything else is terrible. Or have personalised number plates that read "BO55 ***" It's a sad, image thing.

Fiestas have a stigma attached to them which is a shame, same as a Clio for example - Fantastic hot hatch in the correct guise, but certain people won't drive them incase people make funny comments about them. Shame.

I'm not going to argue as you're entitled to your opinion, although I'd recommend to stop worrying about an image people may have of you, rather than the driving experience that could be had.

I've had 205's, 306's, MX5's, E36, E46, Vectras, Mondeos - You name it, have I ever wondered what someone might think of me? No, well tell a lie I had a Cinquecento for a week once that I was given, gave it away again as I looked like something from the Inbetweeners
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

do the majority of you guys lease cars or have them on finance? can i ask why do you get them on finance if you dont mind me asking? ive never bought a car on finance or lease and dont really plan too unless someone changes my mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #18
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I, unfortunately, disagree.

Kerr you do seem to come across quite patronising which is a shame as it's not a good look.

I was merely stating the fact that the Fiesta is a good car if you can ignore the stereotypical comments that people such as yourself seem to insist on making.

From the industry I work in I often see blinkered views from people that will only drive a certain marque, it's comical as they more often than not have no experience of the vehicle they are giving their opinion of.

We've all seen the man in his 50's who has driven Saabs all his life, will only drive them, everything else is terrible. Or have personalised number plates that read "BO55 ***" It's a sad, image thing.

Fiestas have a stigma attached to them which is a shame, same as a Clio for example - Fantastic hot hatch in the correct guise, but certain people won't drive them incase people make funny comments about them. Shame.

I'm not going to argue as you're entitled to your opinion, although I'd recommend to stop worrying about an image people may have of you, rather than the driving experience that could be had.

I've had 205's, 306's, MX5's, E36, E46, Vectras, Mondeos - You name it, have I ever wondered what someone might think of me? No, well tell a lie I had a Cinquecento for a week once that I was given, gave it away again as I looked like something from the Inbetweeners
Are you for real?

How are you in a position to disagree? Do you think that maybe we have all done the hot hatch thing when we were younger, but it has past us by a little since we have now matured?

You've had a go at me for being patronising, told people to ignore stereotypes and image, then stereotyped Saab drivers, those who have personal plates and then also gave up a car as you did think about the image.

You had even stereotyped PH members in your previous posts.

Surely if they get enjoyment out of plates or owning Saabs that is their choice?

You've completely contradicted yourself and can me patronising.

You have proved my point. Get a grip of yourself.

Last edited by Kerr; 10-13-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #19
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you for real?

How are you in a position to disagree? Do you think that maybe we have all done the hot hatch thing when we were younger, but it has past us by a little since we have now matured?

You've had a go at me for being patronising, told people to ignore stereotypes and image, then stereotyped Saab drivers, those who have personal plates and then also gave up a car as you did think about the image.

You had even stereotyped PH members in your previous posts.

Surely if they get enjoyment out of plates or owning Saabs that is their choice?

You've completely contradicted yourself.

You have proved my point.
Just for reference, my 9-3 was a fairly mediocre car, and I love my personalised plate

I wont go on, best to keep the thread on topic.

To the OP - I'd certainly not rule an ST-3 out. There are better cars out there for the money, but as far as a HH goes - Thumbs up for the ST-3.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #20
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I have test drove this car.....it's a blast!!
If you can afford this car, if you like this car,buy it!!
It doesn't matter what type of car you get,people from different backgrounds will think what they will....but if you don't give a sh!t,that's all that matters.
Happy motoring
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #21
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I sold my 330d E92 LCI for a Fiesta ST2 and paid for a load of extras including Nav. I also had the Mountune MP215 performance map added to take it to 215ps with 0-60 in 6.4 and 0-100 in 15 secs.

I kept it 4 months before I sold it.

Nothing went wrong with it at all, it was well made and did not rattle at all. The engine was really sweet and has a lot of go once out of 1st (which is restricted). The gearbox was lovely and it looked OK. All the reviewers love them.

So why did I sell. Well, for me the seats were, on long runs, uncomfortable and lacking in the electric adjustment I was used to. Most would get around this but for me it meant I was hunched up as the seats are angled up at the front being Recaro and I just couldn't manage it.

It did 35mpg where I was getting 36mpg in the 330d.

Overall I missed being in a luxurious car with go like my 330d and found the Fiesta too much of a compromise. I would stress though that the issue was me and not the car. It handled like it was on rails, it feels light and the suspension is not as hard as people moan about (well, I am used to M sport stuff anyway).

I would certainly have a drive but do not for one minute compare to the likes of the Golf R. That is in a different league !

I have bought a BMW Z4 now so from one extreme to the other !!

Test drive one and see what you think but be aware of the compromises.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #22
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

SO8, that's the kind of thing i was looking for. My worry with the Fiesta is not about image of the model, the badge or anything at all to do with what people think about me for the car i drive. It's more to do with worrying that years in various German things, some of which have been on the large side, some of which have had more cylinders, some of which may or may not have been diesel, the little Fiesta is going to be a total culture shock.

The views of anyone that has driven one were of interest and the reviews of anyone that actually owns or has had one for any length of time were of even more interest. I have had one on a test drive and I thought it was great fun. The dash looking like a 1980's ghetto blaster never bothered me and the fact all the plastics were not German military standard didn't phase me. I did find the seat hunched me over slightly but it was more the shoulder padding than the swab that felt odd to me. It was hard to tell if it would be an issue long term.

SO8, i'd be interested to know if you found the power a little too accessible. On my short test drive I found that it felt like i had already found all the car had to give, as enjoyable and rewarding as that was I worry that it means it will get boring quickly.

As for the rest of you. Calm down. Kerr, thanks for spotting the fact that i'm ancient, still a bit of 40 but i'm happy to be called old (not that 40 is old of course).

When buying a car once a salesman once said to me "do you like to drive or do you like to be seen driving" I'm the former so the badge and indeed the model of a car does not bother me. I'd certainly rather be smiling ear to ear inside a Fiesta ST while the neighbours point and laugh than be bored inside a tarted up 4 pot german taxi that gets admiring glances from Rab next door.... who happens to know fuck all about cars.