E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Real Madrid Vs Manchester United

02-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Never seen a footie thread on here, so just thought i'd start one before one of the biggest games of the season for us.

Before any clever clogs accuse me of being a glory supporter, or a sofa fan, i have followed Man Utd since i was a small kid many years ago and when i lived oop north. But i do agree there are a lot of glory hunters out there, including some fans of Chelsea and Man City.

Anyways i'm really excited to see what team and tactics the Great Lord Sir Alex Ferguson will go for. My head says he will flood the midfield, and may man mark one or two madrid players. I think he should man mark Alonso, and play wingers who can defend. If going on a defensive tactic, my IX would be:

De Gea
Rafael Vidic Ferdinand Evra
Valencia Carrick Jones Rooney Young
Van Persie

I'm not trying to predict what the Great Lord Sir Alex Ferguson would go for, that's near impossible. Also tactics wise i doubt it would be an attacking line up, especially in Madrid. If he does, then it should be an amazing match. But i reckon it will be us trying to stop Ronaldo and Co, then break on the counter attack.

Any other thoughts on tactics or your first IX?

Edit: Just realised Phil Jones is available. I would replace Cleverley for him (edited my line up)

Last edited by mob17; 02-12-2013 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hope they get battered
      02-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Hope they get battered
Lol i knew i'd get these comments!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

great games in the champs league this time around, I know the atmosphere will be great at Celtic.
Arsenal vs Bayern, and Milan vs Barca - what the champs league is all about.

good time to go Bernabeu in my opinion, despite Ronaldos form and goals, they arent getting much from other players and Jose is under pressure as well. Ronaldos scored 20 odd goals and I think the next best is 8 or something.

all Man U need to do is score an away goal, even if you got bashed 3-1 or 4-1 then theres the second leg at Old Trafford to come, and if needed the SAF would just go all out with a front 4 and score goals.
great news for Man Utd is that Vidic and Ferdinand are fit.

something like the 2003 game would be awesome!

im a Yid, but Id love to see one of our sides smash the big spanish teams, and go on a win it. And Id prefer it was not to be Arsenal. ha ha
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
I'm with you mob17 - been a Man U supporter since growing up just outside Manchester in the early 60s.

Having said that I still have no time for certain arrogant twats at Man U and I don't just mean the players.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

i dont think he will put jones on ronaldo, will get burnt for pace

fergie will play 4-2-3-1

de gea
smalling / ferdinand / vidic / evra
jones / rafael
cleverly / carrick / rooney / hernandez
RVP

im a season ticket holder and started supporting the reds when we finished 13th in the league
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Can someone explain. Why it is important to support a team if you grew up their or better have supported them when they were crap?

I dont really watch football so I am curious. I mean what difference does it make to support a team after they won a tittle? For example I wouldn't buy a Kia for its F1 links or lack of of. I would by a M division car for its motorsport heritage. Same goes for the Panasonic Plasma I bought it because it was best in class and won awards.

What exactly is a glory hunter? I mean If I supported Man city because they won they what exact glory am I hunting? Its not as if I get paid or get the admiration. I wouldn't not get a pat on the back from my work colleagues.

So not having a go, just curious. Someone give a decent answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Ronaldo to score a hattrick past his ex-team of old age pensioners and dutch traitors.
      02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
Can someone explain. Why it is important to support a team if you grew up their or better have supported them when they were crap?

I dont really watch football so I am curious. I mean what difference does it make to support a team after they won a tittle? For example I wouldn't buy a Kia for its F1 links or lack of of. I would by a M division car for its motorsport heritage. Same goes for the Panasonic Plasma I bought it because it was best in class and won awards.

What exactly is a glory hunter? I mean If I supported Man city because they won they what exact glory am I hunting? Its not as if I get paid or get the admiration. I wouldn't not get a pat on the back from my work colleagues.

If you support a team you are expected to remain loyal to that team pure and simple.

Alot of current man city fans are ex chelsea fans for example. Which is just pathetic.

I'll support my club and continue to attend matches no matter how good or bad we do.
      02-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

In response to AP's question I suspect that saying you supported a team when they were crap is an attempt to distance oneself from the supporters who have only picked an allegience because a team was doing well.

This is usually put forward by supporters of Man Utd, more recently Man City and Chelsea.

"I supported Man Utd when they were shit" seems to be some badge of honour to make you a real Man Utd supporter. The fact that the person might live in Cornwall is immaterial.

I don't understand anyone supporting a team with which they have little or no connection. You should support the local team where you were born and raised IMO. Otherwise, how do you decide? Throw a dart at the league table?
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2

Last edited by xenon; 02-12-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Up the Hammers / stay up the Hammers !!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
I can't wait for tomorrow night! Buzzing at the prospect of a brilliant game.
I think he will play a defensive line up but hope we score at least once.
We need to ensure we get an away goal tonight or I fear the worst for progressing to the next stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCN_Saul View Post
i dont think he will put jones on ronaldo, will get burnt for pace

fergie will play 4-2-3-1

de gea
smalling / ferdinand / vidic / evra
jones / rafael
cleverly / carrick / rooney / hernandez
RVP

im a season ticket holder and started supporting the reds when we finished 13th in the league
I wish we could play with 12
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
dobbo99
Major
Rep

Quote:

Even as a football fan, Ive no idea either. For me, if you support a team then you support a team.

Who starts following teams because they win the league? 9 year olds, and people who know nothing about football (probably)

not entirely sure Mob17's point is as he intended (im not diggin him out here) I read it as him trying to prevent a 'my teams better than yours' type scenario as is normally the case when it comes to forums banter etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
dobbo99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
We need to ensure we get an away goal tonight or I fear the worst for progressing to the next stage.

dont be too negative, madrid are defo beatable and beatable on their own patch. you also possess the most clinical finisher in the prem right now in RVP, and arguably the best centre half pairing in europe.
ferdinand has had his doubters this season, but as a one off game he's still up there with the best for me and can do a job on ronaldo. i dont think you can say the same of pepe or carvalho on RVP.

my opinion of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
Even as a football fan, Ive no idea either. For me, if you support a team then you support a team.

Who starts following teams because they win the league? 9 year olds, and people who know nothing about football (probably)

not entirely sure Mob17's point is as he intended (im not diggin him out here) I read it as him trying to prevent a 'my teams better than yours' type scenario as is normally the case when it comes to forums banter etc.
My point was just to clarify that i'm not a glory hunter, fans with no loyalty. Reason i made the point is, as previously said, many supporters of Man Utd, Chelsea & Man City support them because of their previous glory and finances.

In my book, and many other football fans' books, this is one of the worst things you can do when following football. It's like saying, oh i'm going to divorce my wife and marry another because she's more successful, its disgraceful!

I have no problem with people changing to support a team because they have been successful. Just don't expect to have your views on football respected, as your supporting philosophy can not be any more different. It's a fundamental, hidden, not spoke about, rule. This is just my point of view so please don't take it the wrong way.

I am looking forward to seeing Celtic tonight. Come on Scotland.

SCN_Saul: I agree, i don't think anyone can man mark Ronaldo. I suggested Alonso as this is what a few teams did, spanish teams that have beaten Real this season. If you nullify Alonso as much as possible, by that i mean pressing him in his own half, then hopefully he won't have much time to find Ronaldo on the flanks.

By the way i would actually give one of my testicles to have Ronnie come back home to his Father.

Edit: Another example is raising your child, then throwing him into an orphanage because he didn't pass his GCSEs, and then somehow adopting a smarter kid.

Last edited by mob17; 02-12-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Ronaldo to score a hattrick past his ex-team of old age pensioners and dutch traitors.
Lol, Arsenal fan i guess? I would feel just as bitter to be honest.

Edit: Its like going to a war with an enemy. You wouldn't trust your fellow soldiers if they came from the enemy, why wouldn't they do it again?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
SCN_Saul
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

ive had it for most of my adult life "glory hunter" (i live in manc btw) tis good now though as most people are city fans
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Mitch.
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzieboy View Post
Up the Hammers / stay up the Hammers !!
I supported West Ham when they were shit.

Oh! hang on a minute, they are still shit! and wouldn't have it any other way.

COYI
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
SCN_Saul
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

good spot! too many /

i meant rooney or hernandez on the left
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
SCN_Saul
United Kingdom
Rep

i think if you concentrate too much on one player, you will lose the game, you cannot ignore him but you also have to play your own way to stand a chance

we (utd fans) would all take a draw today
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
dobbo99
Major
Rep

scoring draw though, 0-0 is no good really what with away goals
you dont want to end up 2-2 at old trafford.

1-1, or to lose 2-1, are probably the better outcomes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep would definitely take a score draw!
Appreciate 0