E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HP difference JB+ @75% VS JB3

12-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
D335I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07, 6SPD, WHITE, RED INTR

HP difference JB+ @75% VS JB3

Im looking for simple answers i.e 20 hp, more power down low, up top etc...

In cali 91 oct., JB+, 07 MT, BMS intake, otherwise stock exhaust will come later.

Is there a big HP difference between say JB+ @75% VS JB3 MAPS that I could safely run on 91oct and intake.

1st and 2nd strong, initial throttle response flat, press more and she goes. 3rd and 4th seem a little flat would a JB3 help in this area.

Thinking about upgrading just wondering how much seat in the pants benefit ill get.

I know you guys are probably tired of this topic and I can probably put together the answer from several other post so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 AW335i

I ran a 535i with jb3 map 3, and beat him with my jb+ at 75%,
oh and thats kinda weird that 3rd is flat for you, 3rd is the funnest gear for me.
      12-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

yes it will help very much!! run map 3 power stays strong. keep in mind you can upgrade to jb3. with a full refund on jb+ if it is in the right time period. I am not sure if Brad@psi can but i know Mike@n54tuning could
Quote:
Originally Posted by D335I View Post
Im looking for simple answers i.e 20 hp, more power down low, up top etc...

In cali 91 oct., JB+, 07 MT, BMS intake, otherwise stock exhaust will come later.

Is there a big HP difference between say JB+ @75% VS JB3 MAPS that I could safely run on 91oct and intake.

1st and 2nd strong, initial throttle response flat, press more and she goes. 3rd and 4th seem a little flat would a JB3 help in this area.

Thinking about upgrading just wondering how much seat in the pants benefit ill get.

I know you guys are probably tired of this topic and I can probably put together the answer from several other post so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
gt3fever
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, G87

you wont go back once drive jb3 car. do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
D335I
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexosma View Post
I ran a 535i with jb3 map 3, and beat him with my jb+ at 75%,
oh and thats kinda weird that 3rd is flat for you, 3rd is the funnest gear for me.
" thats kinda weird that 3rd is flat "

Thats what I always thought/hear it felt stronger during the first 3 maybe 4 days after JB install it was really fun, but seems to have flattened out since.

Impressed with the product, maybe I'm getting power hungry.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
DeePeeUnBanned
Banned
Rep
Drives: e93

i've been running the JB+ for about a month now...getting tired of not having a JB3 Might have to upgrade once JB3 2.0 comes out...or I might go to the darkside...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

In California I think JB+ is perfect for a little conservative boost in power...specially if you aren't close to a high-octane gas station. JB3 is nice because it will adapt to your mods though.

For me, JB+ is enough. I would have gotten it even if JB3 was the same price (The pin version is only a bill more anyways). I OWN my 335i and am planning on OWNING it for a while, so the whole increase boost to 20psi on our turbos thing will prove too costly and will be too much of a headache in the long run.

+1 on JB+ on a conservative setting 50-75% for a good +40-60whp more is more than enough for any spirited driver. (Burger Tuning claims 70whp @ 100%)

Hmm... a JB+ 75% tune would give us about 325whp (assuming 270whp stock and 15% powertrain loss) ~ 380hp which I think is on the upper limit of perfect for our cars.

A JB3 full, higher-map tune would give us 270whp +(80-180whp) claimed ~ 350whp-450whp or 400-515hp which IMHO is reckless and damaging to our powertrain (no proof its does...but how can it not be?) without considerable supporting mods.

Given that you have plans to mod further, save up for a JB3 pin or plug n play.

Thankfully we have many options that is why the 335i is such a great car both for DD'ers such as myself and for tuners.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #8
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

I wonder if Burger tuning will update the JB+? hmm... A remote adjustment would be cool... well I love it so far but still need to increase it to 75% or higher.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
detrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi M-Sport/Dinan S2

JB+ at 75% was a fantastic setting and I loved it very much. I recently upgraded to JB3 v1.4 from a JB+, not so much for more power, but rather for improved smoothness and refined application of power. These are my impressions - draw your own conclusions:

(1) Running maps 2/3 gives around 13 psi, which is about the same peak power as a JB+ at 90%. Map 1 is around 12 psi, so more like JB+ at 66%.

(2) Faster times with JB3 at any given psi level, as average power is higher with the JB3 along most of the RPM curve than with a JB+. For example, map 2 (13 psi) is faster than JB+ at 90% (13 psi.)

(3) Power at higher RPMs does not drop with JB3 as dramatically as JB+.

(3) With JB3, the power is more linear, so it does not stand out as much as it does with a JB+. I do miss that non-linear application of high torque of the JB+ at low RPMs - I felt it because it dropped off at higher RPMs with the JB+.

(4) There are significant refinement factors to consider as well, unless all you care about is power. For example, my throttle response is now very smooth compared to JB+. My AT shifter vibrated slightly under load with JB+ at 90% and 100% - not with my JB3. Also, no physical solenoid bypass, which made my throttle response very jumpy and aggressive. My $50K car lost its refinement with that mod - no thanks. The JB3 does it electronically and much more smoothly. All in all, the car feels like it came beefed up directly from the factory with a JB3. It is very refined and powerful now.

In the end, I guess you need to weigh the advantage of being able to quickly remove your JB+ without tools compared to 20 minutes of work to completely remove a JB3 using tools. For a completely failed car, this really boils down to having the car towed home for JB3 removal, scanning of codes and then off to the dealer. However, if you're running JB+ at 75% or higher, you better have your laptop and scanner in your car, or you will need to tow home anyways. That alone made me upgrade to JB3.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

All my customers that have switched from the JB+ to the JB3, even those running the JB+ at 100% have been very happy with the performance gains, even on map3. The area under the curve is much more significant with the JB3.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
D.yi
Major
Rep
Drives: SB e92 335i

how does the install work on the jb3's. the jb+ seems like a cake walk.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
detrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi M-Sport/Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.yi View Post
how does the install work on the jb3's. the jb+ seems like a cake walk.
JB+ initial install probably 20-30 minutes due to the learning curve and tight fit. Thereafter, removal and re-installations in under 3 minutes, if not quicker.

JB3 requires some removal of plastic covers and other associated plastic pieces inside the engine bay. It ended up being much easier than my original perceptions after watching the online installation video. The ECU connections look complicated, but they are actually quite simple to complete with JB3 PNP. They are idiot proof, as they only fit one way and they do click in place. The removal of the white ECU cover on the install video looks very delicate and appears that it could get dirty with fingerprints - this is actually untrue, as it is hard plastic and quite resistant to signs of handling. Initial install probably takes 90 minutes going very slowly.

I am 100% confident I can remove my JB3 in under 10 minutes now, plus another 5 minutes to reinstall the plastic covers and associated pieces. So 15 minutes total once you have gone through the initial learning curve.

Last edited by detrick; 12-13-2009 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
D335I
Private First Class
Rep

The JB+ is such a great lil product, its cheap, easy to install/remove and effective.

The low end torque with minimal throttle input is almost to much in traffic and I find myself shooting out more than expected. Not a bad thing but could get you into trouble, kind of like a on off switch.

I have noticed the drop off at high rpm so maybe a more linier feel with a little more power across the board is what I'm looking for.

It sounds like the JB+ is a good starting point and the JB3 and others are much better overall in power and delivery etc...

JB3 Install looks easy, I'm just worried about breaking a wire or clip or something ill wear gloves and pretend its heart surgery. Are the wires and ecu parts solid, sturdy etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Yes if you take your time and dont force anything it comes apart fine and the JB3 plugs in fine. No reason wires should be pulled out or damaged. It is pretty straight forward and hard to mess up. The power delivery is very smooth but still kicks hard.

Quote:
The JB+ is such a great lil product, its cheap, easy to install/remove and effective.

The low end torque with minimal throttle input is almost to much in traffic and I find myself shooting out more than expected. Not a bad thing but could get you into trouble, kind of like a on off switch.

I have noticed the drop off at high rpm so maybe a more linier feel with a little more power across the board is what I'm looking for.

It sounds like the JB+ is a good starting point and the JB3 and others are much better overall in power and delivery etc...

JB3 Install looks easy, I'm just worried about breaking a wire or clip or something ill wear gloves and pretend its heart surgery. Are the wires and ecu parts solid, sturdy etc...
      12-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

The JB3 is a direct PnP, no wiring tapping, no need to run power lines. Just the 4 harnesses slide into the stock ones and you are good to go It can look a little overwhelming initially but once you are in there its very easy.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The JB3 is a direct PnP, no wiring tapping, no need to run power lines. Just the 4 harnesses slide into the stock ones and you are good to go It can look a little overwhelming initially but once you are in there its very easy.

Mike
mike,

for a full bolt on car with methanol - how much more whp is map 3 versus map 5 ?
i know that the difference in these maps is 1 psi... is that about 10 whp ?

thanks
Appreciate 0