E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PPK question!

09-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

PPK question!

So, I recently bought a performance power kit V1 from a member on here. I'm looking to get it installed, but the dealerships that i'm calling are saying that there is a window of time where they can install it. When it is ordered, a specific kit becomes "active", and after time can "deactivate". Has anyone heard of this?

*******UPDATED IN POST NUMBER 10******

IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING PPK- PLEASE READ
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......

Last edited by JoeyBananaz18; 10-03-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Bump
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Thp4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i msport

When I bought one they said it is keyed to VIN and comes with enabling code. I don't think you can buy the disk from some one and it work.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thp4
When I bought one they said it is keyed to VIN and comes with enabling code. I don't think you can buy the disk from some one and it work.
Shit that's what I was affraid of. I pm'd the guy I bought it from and now he's MIA. Bye bye $400
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
Shit that's what I was affraid of. I pm'd the guy I bought it from and now he's MIA. Bye bye $400
Talk to TischerBMW (the most probable place where it was bought from) and explain them the situation. They may be able to talk to BMW to transfer the kit on your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
Talk to TischerBMW (the most probable place where it was bought from) and explain them the situation. They may be able to talk to BMW to transfer the kit on your VIN.
That's actually a really good idea. I'm going to first see if my deal can in fact install it. Then I'll get in touch with them. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
why on earth would you get a ppk? even if you can get it installed you will hardly feel a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
why on earth would you get a ppk? even if you can get it installed you will hardly feel a difference.
Honestly I'm more convened about my warranty over anything else. Every review I've seen on it said nothing but positive things.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

UPDATE!

So it turns out that there are 2 part numbers for 2 different ppks.

The first is 11 12 2 219 487. This is the number that I was worried about. This ppk is preprgrammed from the BMW to your VIN. This ppk can ONLY be installed on your car, and from what I've heard, has a time limit as to when you can have it installed. After a certain period of time, it basically expires.

The second is 11 12 2 219 488. This is the kit that I have, and works the same way most of us thought all ppks work. This kit comes with a sealed red envelope inside, the contents of which have a code that is flashed to your ECU. It is NOT preprogrammed to your VIN when you order it and has no "shelf life".

Hope this helps anyone who may end up in my situation in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Good info. and great to hear that you didn't waste $400. Have you had it "installed" yet?

As others have already said, the PPK 1 is a great upgrade. It's not going to give you numbers like other aftermarket tunes/flash, but I already knew that and really didn't care. I just knew that it would perform better than stock and that I would notice a difference. I had a feeling that low end performance would be noticeable, but what surprised me more was high end power. Accelerating from 70 all the way up to 90 mph was exhilarating. The car just keeps pulling. And the fact that it's from BMW and installed at my dealership just gives me peace of mind as well as retains resale value of the car.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero.7 View Post
I just knew that it would perform better than stock and that I would notice a difference. I had a feeling that low end performance would be noticeable, but what surprised me more was high end power. Accelerating from 70 all the way up to 90 mph was exhilarating. The car just keeps pulling.
Yeah...and now think about how would your car feel if you would add 4x more power than that. You will want more power in a couple of months. Been there, done that...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Yeah...and now think about how would your car feel if you would add 4x more power than that. You will want more power in a couple of months. Been there, done that...
LOL. So true...so true. You get accustomed to that increased power and increased responsiveness. Next thing you know it, it just feels okay. I hear ya. But those here who know me know that I almost always only do OEM mods ....whether it be cosmetic or performance. I could've gotten pretty much any exhaust but ended up with the BMW PE. There are "better" ones out there, but didn't matter to me. Could've gone with a "better" tune, but again, didn't really care. Not racing the car, just wanted something that pulls a bit better than stock and similar to the IS.

Love what you've done with your car though. Seems like very well thought out mods. Just not for me that's all.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #14
daemonicus
Rep
Drives: 335i

if you dont mind me asking, why pay more for an exhaust that says BMW on it than any other exhaust on the market? at the end of the day, you've still got a round pipe, with a muffler and resonator that makes more noise than a stock e90. any other company can make that for less money and probably produce slightly more gains being mandrel bent.

the BMW fanboy fetish doesn't make sense to me. you'd rather pay more for the same product?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero.7 View Post
Good info. and great to hear that you didn't waste $400. Have you had it "installed" yet?

As others have already said, the PPK 1 is a great upgrade. It's not going to give you numbers like other aftermarket tunes/flash, but I already knew that and really didn't care. I just knew that it would perform better than stock and that I would notice a difference. I had a feeling that low end performance would be noticeable, but what surprised me more was high end power. Accelerating from 70 all the way up to 90 mph was exhilarating. The car just keeps pulling. And the fact that it's from BMW and installed at my dealership just gives me peace of mind as well as retains resale value of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
if you dont mind me asking, why pay more for an exhaust that says BMW on it than any other exhaust on the market? at the end of the day, you've still got a round pipe, with a muffler and resonator that makes more noise than a stock e90. any other company can make that for less money and probably produce slightly more gains being mandrel bent.

the BMW fanboy fetish doesn't make sense to me. you'd rather pay more for the same product?

I havn't had a chance to get it installed just yet. I think I'll be making an appointment for next week. I didn't want to rush it because I actually wanted to get used to the exhaust and see how it changes the car. I gave the exhaust a review in a separate thread.
I understand that I won't be making the kind of performance figures that a similar car with a jb4 or other mods. My car is a long termer and I really have no intention of making any more power than it will be. I'm very happy with the overall look and feel of the car. I think after this, I'll be done and will just preform proper maintenance.

As for going with the PE vs other aftermarket exhausts, every review I've read had great things to say about the PE, and I can add to them. The best way of describing it, is that it reminds me of an old 1950s race car like a XK-SS. The sound really is fantastic. And since I picked it up used, I got it for almost half of what it normally costs.
I'll try to get it installed and get a review up as soon as I can.
Appreciate 0