Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Shattered Wheel Lock Key... Suggestions?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #1
B4LL3N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335xi FBO / E70 X5 N55

Shattered Wheel Lock Key... Suggestions?

Hey Guys,

I had a full detail performed on my E92 today inducing and undercarriage wash. After attempting to remove the wheels, the detail shop discovered that the dealer I had install the wheels back in New York torqued the lugs and locks (unfortunately not stock BMW as I was led to believe) to about 150 foot pounds... really??????

Anyways while attempting to remove one of the locks, the key shattered completely and I am unable to find a replacement key anywhere to remove my wheels.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to have these locks removed? Would a quality wheel/ tire shop be able to address this without damaging the rims?

Thanks -Bryan
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
bigbootysuperduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Center punch the center of the lock. Then step drill about the length of the bolt head. Start at about 1/4" drill bit, thn drill to about the size of the bolt body till the head falls off. Then just use channel locks to pull the threaded shank out.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #3
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D Half-LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4LL3N View Post
Hey Guys,

I had a full detail performed on my E92 today inducing and undercarriage wash. After attempting to remove the wheels, the detail shop discovered that the dealer I had install the wheels back in New York torqued the lugs and locks (unfortunately not stock BMW as I was led to believe) to about 150 foot pounds... really??????

Anyways while attempting to remove one of the locks, the key shattered completely and I am unable to find a replacement key anywhere to remove my wheels.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to have these locks removed? Would a quality wheel/ tire shop be able to address this without damaging the rims?

Thanks -Bryan
Tyre shops should have this special tool that they use to remove "broken" bolts. I once broke my lock bolt and the key just would spin freely around the bolt, so i went to tyreshop and they used special socketwrench and hammered it over the bolt.
      04-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue overpriced POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90 View Post
Tyre shops should have this special tool that they use to remove "broken" bolts. I once broke my lock bolt and the key just would spin freely around the bolt, so i went to tyreshop and they used special socketwrench and hammered it over the bolt.
This ^

Just make sure they don't wack the tool too hard and bend something.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
B4LL3N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Apparently they were able to locate another key which they are sending to me free of charge however I'm not confident that I'll be able to get them off without the new one breaking either.

If that doesn't work I'll check into these alternatives. Believe me, I'll be keeping a very close eye on them as they do it as these are brand new real style 230's.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
bigbootysuperduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

It's not a special socket. They use something just a hair smaller and beat it on.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Aaron_N55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hammering a "Wheel Lock Removal Socket" or like stated a smaller socket.

A local shop used an air chisel to break the ring around my wheel lock and backed it out with a flat head screw driver. Took them less than 15 minutes for all 4.
      04-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
AXS-7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A van

e92 factory wheel lock OD is 22 mm. Pick up a 21 mm 12 point socket from Lowes for under $7.00 each. Get 2 sockets if possible and follow the instructions on this video. Please heed to the warning. Worked for me when my key broke.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
B4LL3N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: The company that manufactured the locks/key out of the UK sent me a replacement that was COMPLETELY different from the original despite the fact that I sent them ample pictures of the locks, keys, and information manual. Needless to say I am furious...

Unfortunately these are not OEM BMW locks so I cannot remove them utilizing the video above. I would look into a similar pattern but without knowing any of the dimensions of the key or seeing/ fitting them in person, I'm completely in the dark. I would just be ordering multiple sets hoping to find one that might fit.

I guess my next step is to check into a local wheel/ tire shop tomorrow to see if they can resolve it which I hate to do because I am new to the Seattle area and don't know which shops I can trust. If my rims are damaged by removing these things I will loose my mind after what I went through to get them.

I'll be sure to write up a post deterring other members from purchasing products from this company here shortly. No one should have to be stranded on the side of the road unable to replace a tire because a company has opted to manufacture shitty sets of locks/keys.

If you have any further suggestions, I would appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
B4LL3N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Vendor sent in correct locks earlier this week, picked up a nice breaker bar, locks are off!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
AXS-7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A van

Great to hear you finally resolved your problem
Appreciate 0