E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Replacing Instrument Cluster

12-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport

Garage List
Replacing Instrument Cluster

has anyone any ideas how easy this is to do and are the centre displays removable,how do we keep the current mileage
      12-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Do you mean replacing it with a new or used cluster?

If new, it just needs coding to the car with winkfp / ncsexpert or ISTA-P.

If used...Use the search my friend

Many discussions on this. It's pretty easy, but requires an EEPROM programmer and some soldering skills / test clip to change VIN and reset mileage. Once mileage is reset and vin matches your car, the new cluster will take the mileage from your cars CAS module.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #3
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_
Do you mean replacing it with a new or used cluster?

If new, it just needs coding to the car with winkfp / ncsexpert or ISTA-P.

If used...Use the search my friend

Many discussions on this. It's pretty easy, but requires an EEPROM programmer and some soldering skills / test clip to change VIN and reset mileage. Once mileage is reset and vin matches your car, the new cluster will take the mileage from your cars CAS module.
Thanks buddy
I'm thinking of having the old one adjusted as I had new LEDs fitted but clocks are out of line
      01-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

This is very common when modifying the cluster.

The needles should be adjusted before putting the cluster back into the vehicle. It should be connected to a 12v bench supply on pins 9 and 18. The needle motor should then go to the 'home position' you just be really precise when putting the needles back on. It's really easy to do but takes patience to get it perfect.

It's a DIY job, no need to replace cluster. If you don't have a 12v supply then I suppose you could connect the board up to the car and adjust needles whilst seated in the vehicle. Not ideal but perfect possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The needles should be adjusted before putting the cluster back into the vehicle. It should be connected to a 12v bench supply on pins 9 and 18. The needle motor should then go to the 'home position' you just be really precise when putting the needles back on. It's really easy to do but takes patience to get it perfect.

It's a DIY job, no need to replace cluster. If you don't have a 12v supply then I suppose you could connect the board up to the car and adjust needles whilst seated in the vehicle. Not ideal but perfect possible.
Thanks
I'm going to try my Indy first as he has ramps got to go in between the wheels so the car can we drove on the ramps and if he sets the cruise control to a speed hopefully he will be able to needle and the clocks up
      01-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
Shaun69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans 330d View Post
Thanks
I'm going to try my Indy first as he has ramps got to go in between the wheels so the car can we drove on the ramps and if he sets the cruise control to a speed hopefully he will be able to needle and the clocks up
Not necessary, mine was out and I got the guy who fitted the led's to adjust the needles. He did what was mentioned above. Can't you go back to the fitter?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans 330d
Quote:

Thanks
As Shaun69 says. Not necessary. The gauges are electronic. Don't confuse needle position with calibration. Needles just need to be put on again correctly. Nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans 330d View Post
Thanks
Not necessary, mine was out and I got the guy who fitted the led's to adjust the needles. He did what was mentioned above. Can't you go back to the fitter?
I could but means driving round with no clocks again.
The speedo is not bad as in needle to speed but when you set cruise the red line and needle don't line up