E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > My First Track Day (e92 335i)

03-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
lostomni
Superminiature Blackhole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

My First Track Day (e92 335i)

My first track day was a very fun, very humbling experience. I have driven in canyons my whole life living in California, but holy shit!!! My first session I went out alone, the next I went with an instructor, and the third I went alone again.

The first session was pretty intimidating even for an experienced driver never being on the track. I was in the beginner group and was just trying to learn the correct lines, apexes, etc. while getting a feel for the speed and intensity of the whole experience.

The second session the instructor took me out and drove a few laps showing me the correct lines of the track and how hard I can take the corners.. pretty much all the basics. Flash forward to the end of the day his first lap was 5 seconds better than my best. I have a new found respect for professional drivers, he got in my car and straight up and drove it better then I ever had in 2 years, of course hes a pro, but I was still humbled.

My third session out I started to get the hang of the course and my own personal limitations being a rookie, needless to say.. Cant wait to get more track time under my belt.. IM HOOKED!!

Notes from my trip:
- The oil temps did get high, an aftermarket oil cooler is smart.
- I'm running a stock FMIC, my obvious next upgrade.
- Get a better nights sleep (3 hours is rough..)
- Damn glad I sprung for the instructor...
- I should have done this sooner!

-lost omni

Last edited by lostomni; 03-14-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Hey Nick, nice to meet you at the track. It's always nice to see some E9x's out on track. Hope to see you at future events.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
onetrackmind21
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

What track did you go to?

I was wondering about going to the track with my 335 but also worried about high temps with the turbos. Did you have the oem oil cooler? I was wondering if the oem oil cooler will suffice since that is what I currently have.

Btw, nice photo!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Congrats to the OP for a memorable 1st track experience. It sounds like you came with a lot more experience than most. 5 secs slower than an instructor in a car he's probably going 8/10ths in (cuz he doesn't know your car) is not shabby at all.

I really liked the fact that you didn't go in as one of the 'cocky' types. Big thumbs up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrackmind21 View Post
What track did you go to?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrackmind21 View Post

I was wondering about going to the track with my 335 but also worried about high temps with the turbos. Did you have the oem oil cooler? I was wondering if the oem oil cooler will suffice since that is what I currently have.
Yes, OEM oil cooler is ok for first few track events, unless you sign up for a summer 90-100F event. Then, it might be hit and miss. But chances are you won't be pushing your car that hard the 1st day. The OP was one of the rare few who knew his car really well, so his oil temps probably got a lot higher than most 1st timers. Still, he didn't overheat either. Sign up and have fun!

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
lostomni
Superminiature Blackhole
United_States
Rep

The track was Willow Springs, The Streets of Willow course in CA. It's a small & technical with 2 minor straights. Yeah, I have an OEM oil cooler, and i think all three 335s there were running stock oil coolers.

Vince nice meeting you too, see you at the next event.. and nice driving btw

Last edited by lostomni; 03-14-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostomni View Post
The track was Willow Springs, The Streets of Willow course in CA. It's a small & technical with 2 minor straights. Yeah, I have an OEM oil cooler, and i think all three 335s there were running stock oil coolers.
Yes, I have the OEM oil cooler. Since the ambient temp at the track last Friday was around mid 60s to just about 70, the OEM oil cooler was fine. I think this highest oil temp I saw was about 290.

Nick, what did you end up with? Did you improve on your time? I posted my best lap here, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500890.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
lostomni
Superminiature Blackhole
United_States
Rep

You beat me by a good 10secs. Cool vid watching it makes me see some things I could of done better.
      03-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostomni View Post
My first track day was a very fun, very humbling experience. I have driven in canyons my whole life living in California, but holy shit!!! My first session I went out alone, the next I went with an instructor, and the third I went alone again.

The first session was pretty intimidating even for an experienced driver never being on the track. I was in the beginner group and was just trying to learn the correct lines, apexes, etc. while getting a feel for the speed and intensity of the whole experience.

The second session the instructor took me out and drove a few laps showing me the correct lines of the track and how hard I can take the corners.. pretty much all the basics. Flash forward to the end of the day his first lap was 5 seconds better than my best. I have a new found respect for professional drivers, he got in my car and straight up and drove it better then I ever had in 2 years, of course hes a pro, but I was still humbled.

My third session out I started to get the hang of the course and my own personal limitations being a rookie, needless to say.. Cant wait to get more track time under my belt.. IM HOOKED!!

Notes from my trip:
- The oil temps did get high, an aftermarket oil cooler is smart.
- I'm running a stock FMIC, my obvious next upgrade.
- Get a better nights sleep (3 hours is rough..)
- Damn glad I sprung for the instructor...
- I should have done this sooner!

-lost omni

Congrats, sounds like a good time.

You definitely need a good night rest before getting on the track.

What kind of tires are you on? and what setting did you have the coils set to?
Appreciate 0