E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > billowing smoke after oil change, not driveable

05-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
AZe92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 e92

billowing smoke after oil change, not driveable

cliff notes - car didn't smoke, did an oil change, now is undriveable due to the amount of smoke billowing out the exhaust

long version -

just bought the car a couple weeks ago, '07 335i 6mt with 62k miles

was having boost issues with 30ff code, then developed an insanely loud whine about 2 weeks ago. after reading some other threads I ended up doing an oil change yesterday, because it seemed common of a cheap collapsed oil filter. Bottom of the filter looked almost "blown out". Put a MANN filter in along with 7 quarts of mobile 1 euro formula 0w-40, completely eliminated the loud supercharger like whine i was getting.

most of my tools are in my parents garage so i did the oil change there, drove 2 miles to my house perfectly fine. plugged my laptop into my jb4 a couple hours later as i'm trying to diagnose my no boost issue. I purchased the jb4 used so i went in an adjusted all the setting back to factory, went on a test drive and before i was even out of my neighborhood i noticed a little smoke. by the time i drove about 1.5 miles and turned around i was filling my neighborhood with smoke. Parked the car and cried myself to sleep.. lol

today was going to drive the car back to my parents to pull the downpipes and see what it looked like inside. (stock dps on right now, have a set of active autowerke catlless dp's i want to put on) started the car and immediately started reversing out of the garage, before i reached the end of my driveway the car was completely engulfed in smoke. no exxageration, white smoke was just billowing out of the exhaust, couldn't see anything around me, it was BAD.

Just don't understand how i can go from no smoke at all, do an oil change, now it looks like there's a damn forest fire behind me.

were the turbos starved for oil, now the bearings are toast and oil's just flowing straight through them? something else? please help!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

White smoke would indicate water, i.e. steam.
Does it smell like coolant or oil?
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZe92 View Post
cliff notes - car didn't smoke, did an oil change, now is undriveable due to the amount of smoke billowing out the exhaust

long version -

just bought the car a couple weeks ago, '07 335i 6mt with 62k miles

was having boost issues with 30ff code, then developed an insanely loud whine about 2 weeks ago. after reading some other threads I ended up doing an oil change yesterday, because it seemed common of a cheap collapsed oil filter. Bottom of the filter looked almost "blown out". Put a MANN filter in along with 7 quarts of mobile 1 euro formula 0w-40, completely eliminated the loud supercharger like whine i was getting.

most of my tools are in my parents garage so i did the oil change there, drove 2 miles to my house perfectly fine. plugged my laptop into my jb4 a couple hours later as i'm trying to diagnose my no boost issue. I purchased the jb4 used so i went in an adjusted all the setting back to factory, went on a test drive and before i was even out of my neighborhood i noticed a little smoke. by the time i drove about 1.5 miles and turned around i was filling my neighborhood with smoke. Parked the car and cried myself to sleep.. lol

today was going to drive the car back to my parents to pull the downpipes and see what it looked like inside. (stock dps on right now, have a set of active autowerke catlless dp's i want to put on) started the car and immediately started reversing out of the garage, before i reached the end of my driveway the car was completely engulfed in smoke. no exxageration, white smoke was just billowing out of the exhaust, couldn't see anything around me, it was BAD.

Just don't understand how i can go from no smoke at all, do an oil change, now it looks like there's a damn forest fire behind me.

were the turbos starved for oil, now the bearings are toast and oil's just flowing straight through them? something else? please help!
On the surface this seems a strange issue. Who did you buy this from, was it heavily tuned?
      05-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Don't drive car....get it looked at by a professional if you can't find the problem right away.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
AZe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
White smoke would indicate water, i.e. steam.
Does it smell like coolant or oil?
smells like oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
On the surface this seems a strange issue. Who did you buy this from, was it heavily tuned?
bought it in cali, bone stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Don't drive car....get it looked at by a professional if you can't find the problem right away.
i have 3 vehicles so it's just parked in the garage right now, gonna try to get it to my parents probably Tuesday or Wednesday to pull the downpipes and check for shaft play and oil
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Do you get it more on deceleration than acceleration?

There are really only 2 ways for oil to get into the combustion chamber (assuming no internal engine issues, rings or valve seals) first is the PCV valve which is a known week point and if any filter paper debris got into it, it could be stuck and letting oil into the intake. Second is that a turbo seal is gone and letting oil in at the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

I would replace the pcv valve and start from there.

Or your no boot issue might be the problem your car isn't boosting.. The turbos are shot
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
AZe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

a tiny bit on acceleration, but mostly on decel.

ordered rb pcv valve today
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
AZe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

not a huge deal if i have to rebuild the turbos, sucks to be making payments/paying full coverage insurance on a car that's gonna be down but buying a used n54 i went into it knowing that there's a good chance turbo's will need attention, sucks that there's still a month left on the 8yr/82k warranty, but no wastegate rattle what so ever

if i pull them they'll be upgraded (not sure by who yet), but i'd be fine with it being something else so that i can save that expensive for further down the road and could spend the money on meth and intercooler now
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

You will want to pull the intercooler and empty it out as it is mostly full of oil.
Appreciate 0