E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Looking to Polish and wax this weekend

07-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
bb103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328i

Looking to Polish and wax this weekend

Hi I'm looking to wash/Polish/Clay Bar/Wax my car today... Dealer said they did it and if they did it's got to be the worst i've ever seen... I have usually done this in the past but my other cars have been silver and black but much cheaper cars and didn't really car to much of the cost of everything so a full detail i usually kept it around $60-$100... What suggestions do you have for detailing supply's?? If i could get it locally that would be great...

I had someone suggest a 5000-6000 grit sand paper instead of the clay bar but I'm a bit nervous for that...

I'll post pics later but right now it seems like bird droppings have burned into the paint... so I'm not sure if buffing polish/wax will fix that... some minor scratches along the driver door are there as well... I'm sure a buffing will fix that... I know that without pics this will be hard to give any info but if i need to get it repainted then i will but looking for an alternative before...

Also to add car is black.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
bb103
Private First Class
Rep

BTW if any one has a suggestion on a place that does a really good job detailing let me know as well i may go that route... I'm in the GTA/Peel Region
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Torobimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 Pre-LCI prem+sport 6mt

burned thru the paint? acid bird droppings

btw do your own work, self quality work. and besides its a relaxing activity. listen to music and pitcher of beer and its a mini vacation in your garage.

some cool playlist from youtube
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL362462EB7004C0BF
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

-Grab a DA Polisher (Griots 6" or Porter Cable 7464xp)

-Wash the car

-Clay bar and use Speed Shine or some sort of clay lubricant

-You can either wash the car with something like Chemical Guys Citrus Cleaner or use Griots Garage Paint Prep, which works great, in order to strip he car of any waxes that weren't removed by the clay

-Tape of areas like the lights, trim, molding etc...anything but the paint.

-If it is Jet Black, then your paint is pretty soft, BSM is a bit harder which is what i have, so for deep imperfections and swirls go with a Lake Country Orange pad and M105

-Follow up with Menzerna Power Finish on a Lake Country White Pad.

-Follow with Menzerna PO85RD Finish Polish on a Lake Country Black Pad.

-Do an IPA wipe down or you can rewash the car with the Citrus Wash (DO NOT USE A CITRUS DEGREASER)

-Pick a wax or Sealant. Collinite 915 is a caranuba based wax but dam it can bring out a nice wet shine on a black car and definitely lasts longer than i had expected. You can also use sealants if you don't have the time to wax every couple months and rather hold out for 5-7 months or less.

You most likely DON'T need to wet sand you car but bird droppings ARE acidic just like the bugs on your bumper cant leave pitting in you clear.

I am by no means a professional and just started doing this on the side. i am sharing what i KNOW and HAVE done. I have a black sapphire metallic and i am very happy with the results of the following method. If i messed up anywhere, someone please correct me.

OP, you are better doing it your self. If you do not feel comfortable, then don't stress it because a lot of people don't. I'm sure you can find a reputable detailer in your area but make sure you look at reviews.

Hope this helps and the best of luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
antrot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb103 View Post
Hi I'm looking to wash/Polish/Clay Bar/Wax my car today... Dealer said they did it and if they did it's got to be the worst i've ever seen... I have usually done this in the past but my other cars have been silver and black but much cheaper cars and didn't really car to much of the cost of everything so a full detail i usually kept it around $60-$100... What suggestions do you have for detailing supply's?? If i could get it locally that would be great...

I had someone suggest a 5000-6000 grit sand paper instead of the clay bar but I'm a bit nervous for that...

I'll post pics later but right now it seems like bird droppings have burned into the paint... so I'm not sure if buffing polish/wax will fix that... some minor scratches along the driver door are there as well... I'm sure a buffing will fix that... I know that without pics this will be hard to give any info but if i need to get it repainted then i will but looking for an alternative before...

Also to add car is black.
Quote:
BTW if any one has a suggestion on a place that does a really good job detailing let me know as well i may go that route... I'm in the GTA/Peel Region
If you don't have any professional experience doing this. Dont attempt this on ur own.
Bring it to a reputable detailer and get it done properly and don't cheap out.
Look up Kevin http://****************
Does excellent work and will make your car look seriously look brand new
He's in T.O gta in detail
You won't be dissapointed
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
bb103
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrot View Post
If you don't have any professional experience doing this. Dont attempt this on ur own.
Bring it to a reputable detailer and get it done properly and don't cheap out.
Look up Kevin http://****************
Does excellent work and will make your car look seriously look brand new
He's in T.O gta in detail
You won't be dissapointed
can you pm me the info? can't see it in the forum
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

look into "word of mouth detailing" in canada, dont know where though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
antrot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 335i sedan

Quote:
can you pm me the info? can't see it in the forum
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
bb103
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
look into "word of mouth detailing" in canada, dont know where though.
I don't think there is any.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

If you follow the brilliant guide on this forum, and DetailedImage, then you can do it yourself OP. I did mine for the first time a week ago. Will post some pics later this week.

It is hard work though.
Appreciate 0