E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Spec Stage 2+ Clutch Kit @ Top Gear Solutions

11-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch Kit @ Top Gear Solutions

Hey Folks,

Just wanna give a special thanks to all those parties involved in helping me make my decision (Jeff, Ivo, Dzenno) in buying a Spec Stage 2+ clutch kit. They put up with my compulsive need to ask questions and get as much info as possible considering the many mixed reviews I read on Spec. They also steered me in the right direction in terms of my goals, which this clutch seemed to fit the profile best; price was also a factor. Once it's shipped and brought back over here I'll be getting it installed with my machined DMFW.

My goals were to have a clutch to replace OEM (mine is slipping) and prepare care for sale, but at the same time to prepare for the possibility that I get indecisive and decide to be greedy and keep the car lol.
-it had to be DD friendly and drive like a normal clutch (as much as possible)
-hold potential 600-700hp for any future goals should i keep that car
-as little chatter as possible; it's an E93 and I hate excessive noises on a DD
-grab aggressively for my 4-5x/yr of 1/4 mile use so I can get into the 12's on FBO lol

For now, I'm looking for a bit more info. to prepare for install so it goes as smooth as possible without bugging these guys anymore
-are there any extras that come in the kit for the install; if not,
-what are the extras that I need to buy?

For example, I heard that people go out and buy OEM release bearing, tranny bolts, clutch bolts and a bunch of other little things that are apparently not in the kit. Should I change out the tranny fluid as well?

I'd appreciate if some of the experts could chime in on what other parts I need necessary to make this install go off without a hitch!
-please list part names and stock#'s if possible

Thanks!!

Last edited by Zebra99; 11-25-2012 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Anyone?
yeah stay away from SPEC
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Single-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Hey Folks,

Just wanna give a special thanks to all those parties involved in helping me make my decision (Jeff, Ivo, Dzenno) in buying a Spec Stage 2+ clutch kit. They put up with my compulsive need to ask questions and get as much info as possible considering the many mixed reviews I read on Spec. They also steered me in the right direction in terms of my goals, which this clutch seemed to fit the profile best; price was also a factor. Once it's shipped and brought back over here I'll be getting it installed with my machined DMFW.

My goals were to have a clutch to replace OEM (mine is slipping) and prepare care for sale, but at the same time to prepare for the possibility that I get indecisive and decide to be greedy and keep the car lol.
-it had to be DD friendly and drive like a normal clutch (as much as possible)
-hold potential 600-700hp for any future goals should i keep that car
-as little chatter as possible; it's an E93 and I hate excessive noises on a DD
-grab aggressively for my 4-5x/yr of 1/4 mile use so I can get into the 12's on FBO lol

For now, I'm looking for a bit more info. to prepare for install so it goes as smooth as possible without bugging these guys anymore
-are there any extras that come in the kit for the install; if not,
-what are the extras that I need to buy?

For example, I heard that people go out and buy OEM release bearing, tranny bolts, clutch bolts and a bunch of other little things that are apparently not in the kit. Should I change out the tranny fluid as well?

I'd appreciate if some of the experts could chime in on what other parts I need necessary to make this install go off without a hitch!
-please list part names and stock#'s if possible

Thanks!!

OKay... so I just Bought this clutch (paired to my stock fly-wheel) and its been on for about 3 weeks now: 2 week = break-in (~600 miles) and 1 week = Single turbo with 650rwhp (~850miles), I drove it to FixxFest in Tampa, FL and back. I have got to tell you if feels SUPER Smooth, the engagement is smooth (no chatter), pedal pressure is almost identical to stock (i wish it was slightly stiffer :-/).
*The Spec Stage2+ Kit comes with an OE Throw-out Bearing, Pilot Bearing and a Clutch Alignment tool!

I would definitely:
-Pair it with the OEM DMFW if you don't want chatter.
-Purchase new Tranny bolts from BMW, they are one time use Aluminum stretch bolts.
-Purchase BMS Modified BMW Clutch Valve
-Purchase BMS Short Throw Clutch Stop

Good luck with it!
      11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Why wouldn't you go with 3+ for those hp levels out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Single-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign335i View Post
Why wouldn't you go with 3+ for those hp levels out of curiosity?
Well to be honest cuz Shiv has it on his car he has beat the crap out of his car...
      11-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for your impressions....always good to hear a "satisfied" customer review.

So the do buy list:
-Tranny bolts
-aluminum stretch bolts

Thx!

I won't do BMS clutch valve just yet because I wanna see what it'll feel like. I don't mind the engagement, it was the third gear throw in that pissed me off lol
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Sorry for the late reply. I am thinking about getting a spec stage 2+ clutch as well. I just need to make sure I have all the right parts, so I can deliver the car and the parts to the mechanic.

Which part number (# and quantity?) are the transmission bolts and aluminum stretch bolts?

So far, I am thinking that I order the spec stage 2+ clutch without their flywheel, get the OEM dual mass flywheel, and these bolts. Is that the entire shopping list?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
e92tt1986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
yeah stay away from SPEC
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92tt1986 View Post
I've heard generally good things about spec clutches. The only negatives I am seeing on this thread are terse and unjustified, so I have no way of evaluating your points.

Anyway, this thread is a few months old, with the only new post being me asking for confirmation on whether I have right parts for the mechanic to install the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I'm actually selling mine due to selling the car
-if anyone is local to GTA at least within 1hrs drive I'll drop it off for quick sale!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I've heard generally good things about spec clutches. The only negatives I am seeing on this thread are terse and unjustified, so I have no way of evaluating your points.

Anyway, this thread is a few months old, with the only new post being me asking for confirmation on whether I have right parts for the mechanic to install the clutch.
search the n54 section about SPEC. You actually have to do a bit due dilligence yourself. Or better yet, use Google? Welcome to 2013....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #13
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You'll find a lot of bad reviews for clutches(regardless of manufacturer) simply because people are unwilling to admit that the failure is their own fault. Either by not following the PROPER break in procedure, install error or buying a clutch that doesn't meet the requirements of their car whether it's buying a clutch rated for less than they are making to save some money or buying a clutch that is WAY overkill and then bitching about driveability.
      03-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
search the n54 section about SPEC. You actually have to do a bit due dilligence yourself. Or better yet, use Google? Welcome to 2013....
Step 1: Post terse comments implying negativity towards a product, lacking diligence.

Step 2: Accuse others of lacking diligence when your unjustified remarks are called out.

What you are doing is called "shifting the burden of proof." You made an assertion. Back it up. How do you think I found this thread in the first place?

As Ænema said, it is likely that most of the complaints come from not properly breaking in the clutch in the first place.

Are these the bolts needed for the transmission?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...w_All/ES41945/

How many are needed? 6? I want to make sure my shopping list is thorough.

Clutch, flywheel, and these bolts?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
tcw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post

So I just finished installing my Spec 2+ non-sac clutch and steel SMFW. The clutch engaged at the top of the pedal extension. It seemed the clutch was not fully engaging though because if I gave it anything more than 5-10% throttle it revs up (slips.) This was because the TO bearing never fully disengaged and the TO bearing was always pressing on the PP fingers even with the pedal out since the bearing was too tall/thick.

Long story short... the issue was the TO bearing was too tall and I had to remove the transmission to put the stock TO bearing in. After doing so the engagement point is in the middle of pedal travel. The only help I received from SPEC was them confirming I could use the stock TO bearing (they first told me I had to use their TO bearing, but when it was clear the their TO bearing was the problem they said I could use the stock.) In their defense they have apparently released a new design that is equivalent to stock. I purchased mine in December, so some time since then.

Pics from the install...

2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #16
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

I've had nothing but great success from spec. Their drivability/durability is unmatched. I use their 4+ in a 3850lbs awd 630+hp car with literally over a hundred launches, 20k miles and still running strong. For a single plate clutch I won't ever buy anything else. Hence why I have one coming to go with the single I just bought.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

We've sold a bunch of these. We've had a high success rate. However, I won't play any sales tactics here, every clutch company has a "Bad reputation". The reality is the manufacturer does come into play some of the time, however, if you dig deep enough into each individual case, more times then not, it stems from a bad install. But I digress, if there is one thing about clutch kits people should realize is any aftermarket choice is a gamble.

If you are willing to make the power then you need to be willing to sacrifice on some aspect of aftermarket clutches. We got a bunch of guys with basically tune only cars, full bolt ons, and some single turbo guys that are extremely happy with these clutches. Not to mention a good portion who now have the Spec Clutches originally had the ACT and were not happy with it at all. Either the low engagement point and or the longevity of the clutch steered them away from a 2nd purchase.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

We have a very nice FAQ in our clutch section for the BMW 135i 335i about Spec Clutches and how to choose the best one for you.

In a nut shell if you plan on making over 500WHP we suggest the single mass steel flywheel, as the OEM DMFW has been causing misfires due to an imbalance at high HP.

Otherwise we recommend anyone in the regular bolt on territory to stick with the OEM DMFW, and we highly recommend a new one as resurfacing them improperly will cause problems and not many shops can actually do it right.

The aluminum flywheel chatters more then the steel flywheel single mass options. Our FAQ also mentions in detail what comes with each specific clutch kit. I'd post a link but we are not allowed to here.

BMW>335i>Clutch kits> (On our site)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey Jeff I'm looking to purchase a smfw preferably steel, but can't find a lick of info on them. Do you know the comparison in weight between oem, sm aluminum, and sm steel. thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
tcw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Specs site has the weight for their FW's. I believe 16 and 21 for the Al and Steel non-SAC FW's.
2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
Hey Jeff I'm looking to purchase a smfw preferably steel, but can't find a lick of info on them. Do you know the comparison in weight between oem, sm aluminum, and sm steel. thank you
It's on our site and Spec's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw View Post
Specs site has the weight for their FW's. I believe 16 and 21 for the Al and Steel non-SAC FW's.
The billet aluminum flywheel weighs 14lbs, and billet steel 22 lbs.

I would not bother with the aluminum as it chatters like crazy. Go with the steel if you have too. Otherwise go with the OEM DMFW if you are just bolt ons to reduce all chances of chattering.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep

sorry I missed that. was looking at it on my phone and couldn't find it. thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #22
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wanted to give an update. I came in here two months ago with questions. Now, I have a Spec Stage 2+ clutch with a replacement original equipment manufacturer dual mass flywheel. I do not plan on running the kind of horsepower that would necessitate getting a single mass (due to misfire problems from the crank position sensor).

So far, so good! The guys at FFTEC seemed to do an excellent install of the clutch. I was expecting this to be an extremely difficult clutch to contend with compared to stock, but I was completely wrong. The pedal doesn't feel any heavier, either. Everything feels absolutely smooth. The clutch grabs well and I will continue to drive the car gently in stop/go traffic for 500 miles or so. I am about 110 miles in after a couple of days. No complaints yet. Even chatter has been minimal. The stock clutch on my 540i chatters a lot more.

The real test, I suppose, will be what happens when I run the full E85 tune and floor it. For now, it's several tanks of 91 and driving passively in traffic.
Appreciate 0