E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Non-turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > Heads up - Header Orders.

Closed Thread

02-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Heads up - Header Orders.

Hey Guys,
Just got word that orders will begin shipping out 3-16-12!

FedEx tracking will go to your emails associated with Paypal - So keep an eye out for those of you who have been ever so patiently waiting for this project!

As always, I appreciate you guys/gals on this forum and I am very excited to get these out to you, and Yes - Pictures will be up the moment I pick up the boxes.

And no, I have not forgotten about the free O2 sims for the GB people also

Any questions - PM or Email: Gavin@mmotorwerks.net

- Gavin@MMW

UPDATED DATE

Last edited by Gavin@MMW; 03-02-2012 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: UPDATED DATE
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Excited to see how people like them.. PLUS I WANT PICS
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

any info on these headers? perf numbers, plots, etc?
      02-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

You stalled me out on your exhaust, but I'm waiting to see more info on this. I have no hard feelings since I ended up with an exhaust I love for a price I couldn't beat haha.

Catless or catted? I'm not sure how much I want to make this car illegal for minimal gains. I've gone that route with other NA cars in the past and it was just a headache.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post

Catless or catted? I'm not sure how much I want to make this car illegal for minimal gains. I've gone that route with other NA cars in the past and it was just a headache.
Please explain
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I had an 08 civic si and while these are just examples on THAT car, my point is that there are often unforseen issues. Keep in mind I was using very high quality parts too.

I got a catless header. First things first you can easily smell that the car is running without a cat. So your inspection shop has to be willing to lie to pass emissions depending on your state. Second since these are OBD2 the O2 sensor will report an error when you run without a cat. O2 simulators/relocators may or may not work, I used something by Hondata to make it pass inspection when read off the CPU....not sure how we would do that on these cars without tuning options like those given by Hondata.

Also, if I put the car in reverse the header would hit the bottom of the car every time. I fixed this with solid motor mounts, but as you can see this was an expensive set of headers by this point. Not only that but the motor mounts totally ruined the daily drive-ability of that poor car.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I had an 08 civic si and while these are just examples on THAT car, my point is that there are often unforseen issues. Keep in mind I was using very high quality parts too.

I got a catless header. First things first you can easily smell that the car is running without a cat. So your inspection shop has to be willing to lie to pass emissions depending on your state. Second since these are OBD2 the O2 sensor will report an error when you run without a cat. O2 simulators/relocators may or may not work, I used something by Hondata to make it pass inspection when read off the CPU....not sure how we would do that on these cars without tuning options like those given by Hondata.

Also, if I put the car in reverse the header would hit the bottom of the car every time. I fixed this with solid motor mounts, but as you can see this was an expensive set of headers by this point. Not only that but the motor mounts totally ruined the daily drive-ability of that poor car.
Thanks for sharing. From those issues and reading/seeing people run headers the only issue could be the smell. The BMS simulator has proven to work at beating the sensors. There are no clearance issues with the right manufacturer. It would come down to the fart can sound that headers produce and the smell. I already have a system with no secondaries. I will eventually get headers and find out. The sound is the only thing that I despise but some resonators and glass packs should help me tune the sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

you never know until these headers are actually put to use and we all have a sound clip we can compare to. Just because Supersprint Headers and BMW PE doesn't 'clash' doesn't mean MMW headers and other exhaust brands won't do well. If you're like me and plan on going completely catless from block-back, then we can expect the O2 smell for sure and though it may not be a predictable exhaust NOTE, expect your exhaust to be EXTREMELY loud and publicly intolerable.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Thanks for sharing. From those issues and reading/seeing people run headers the only issue could be the smell. The BMS simulator has proven to work at beating the sensors. There are no clearance issues with the right manufacturer. It would come down to the fart can sound that headers produce and the smell. I already have a system with no secondaries. I will eventually get headers and find out. The sound is the only thing that I despise but some resonators and glass packs should help me tune the sound.
FWIW switching from a drone loud 2.75" exhaust on that same civic with factory header to the race header, the sound improved. 100% of people I know agreed. Less drone, perhaps a bit less raspy at lower RPMs and overall a bit quieter below 4k RPM, but from say 6-9k RPM the car SCREAMED. I guess my point is that the sound is a bit unpredictable and really comes down to the header/exhaust pairing.

Very good to know that there are no issues like banging exhausts with this car haha. If the O2 simulators actually work ALL the time on this car that is another plus. They might have worked with the Honda, but because there was a better option I went with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
you never know until these headers are actually put to use and we all have a sound clip we can compare to. Just because Supersprint Headers and BMW PE doesn't 'clash' doesn't mean MMW headers and other exhaust brands won't do well. If you're like me and plan on going completely catless from block-back, then we can expect the O2 smell for sure and though it may not be a predictable exhaust NOTE, expect your exhaust to be EXTREMELY loud and publicly intolerable.
Depends on the exhaust IMO. I really doubt a catless race header to stock exhaust is something I'd call "publicly intolerable".
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Gavin: any dyno results?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
desertfx41
SSAH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 6MT - 2002 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
Gavin: any dyno results?
x2
I am very interested
      02-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Flyer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92xi

I also can't wait to hear a good MMW header/exhaust pairing, and to see dyno results. Keep us posted Gavin...I'm too chicken to be a guinea pig; but I'm VERY ready tp jump when this gets perfected. Kudos to all involved!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
DJ2009
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 AW 328i

pics? dyno sheets?
      02-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

you guys should be getting shipping notifications this week. Make sure to keep us in the loop and post pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #16
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Gavin you gotta be more vocal here! That's why I stopped waiting on the exhaust...can't tell if you just fall off the face of the earth or what.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

hmmm, the release date was yesterday. Soooo, update?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Depends on the exhaust IMO. I really doubt a catless race header to stock exhaust is something I'd call "publicly intolerable".
the guy said he was going catless down the entire exhaust. it's going to be loud and probably "publicly intolerable"

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

I predict an army of trolls arriving shortly. The only thing that can stop them is an update form you, Gavin... lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gavin you gotta be more vocal here! That's why I stopped waiting on the exhaust...can't tell if you just fall off the face of the earth or what.
Wow this thread blew up,

Dynos will be done on a different car from my own, using my car the results will be skewed because I have blower attached to it now, so it can't help with a dyno at this point for headers only.

People in the GB will be getting emails today/tomorrow with shipping info and if someone is local - PM me about some dyno testing

Email works too: Gavin@mmotorwerks.net

Dyno and install would be done in Van Nuys, CA

Im working on some images now, and some other fun stuff for you guys also.

If I dont respond to a post quickly, Please email me as I can normally receive them no matter where I am.

Thanks Guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
SavvyByNature
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 - SO M4

Hey Gavin, how is the sound of the headers compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSavvy View Post
Hey Gavin, how is the sound of the headers compared to stock?
Headers are naturally loud, on any car. They have no restriction so they gain maximum power and allow maximum sound and air to come out.

If you are running a stock car, all things stock but you switch the headers out - it will be noticeable, but not very loud. I dont even think it would hit the PE volume with a stock exhaust system.

If you are running a muffler delete/Straight pipes - it will be very loud. enough to set off car alarms on the street and be heard from a block away if you put your foot to the floor.

with so many muffler combo's available for these cars it is impossible so say what it will sound like with each exhaust, until it has been done and people post clips, and even then - if a low quality camera is used then it still doesnt sound true.

What I do know is that while even with a straight pipe it is loud, the actual sound itself is very nice, almost heartwarming to a gear-head. With the windows up, its not horrible at all, yes you hear it, but it's more the people you drive by that will ask themselves what they just heard.

They have an exotic tone and once the car learns the new airflow and gets used to it they are really a fun addition. the sound will change from first installation after 50-100 miles of the ECU learning the mod.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread