E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > rough ride with H&R Sport/OEM sport shocks

07-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

rough ride with H&R Sport/OEM sport shocks

I installed H&R Sport springs on my car recently with my OEM shocks and the ride is bouncier than I had anticipated judging by other people's comments about the ride with this setup. Only thing I'm wondering is could it be due to the fact that I did NOT cut my bumpstops and this is causing the rough ride/ bounciness? Thanks in advance.
      07-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I would say its because you are using the stock shocks
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
gzim335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [2.00]
check tire pressure it could be high,I have hnr paired with koni yellows n 19 inch wheels n its pretty bouncy but I can live with it so its not that bad
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
It's because you did not change the stock dampers. The stock dampers are designed to work only with the stock springs.
The car sits lower because the H&R spring is shorter (and stiffer) than OEM; the result of that is the dampers are more compressed and have less room to move up and down. That's called damper travel. There's not enough and you're bottoming out.

Solutions:
#1: Reinstall stock springs.
#2: Get dampers that will work with your H&R springs. Koni Yellow/Sport come to mind.
#3: Sell H&R springs and buy a coilover kit, which is a damper/spring combo with adjustable ride height.

Alignment required in all cases.

Cutting the bumpstops is NOT a solution and would be IMO a worse idea than leaving them as-is. Bumpstops act as a secondary spring and prevent the damper from bottoming out; while you would regain some damper travel, you'd also make situations where the dampers compress fully (which are far more frequent now that there's less travel) more jarring. The bumpstop is cushioning you right now.

I like solution #2 if you like the drop these springs gave you.
      07-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
It's because you did not change the stock dampers. The stock dampers are designed to work only with the stock springs.
The car sits lower because the H&R spring is shorter (and stiffer) than OEM; the result of that is the dampers are more compressed and have less room to move up and down. That's called damper travel. There's not enough and you're bottoming out.

Solutions:
#1: Reinstall stock springs.
#2: Get dampers that will work with your H&R springs. Koni Yellow/Sport come to mind.
#3: Sell H&R springs and buy a coilover kit, which is a damper/spring combo with adjustable ride height.

Alignment required in all cases.

Cutting the bumpstops is NOT a solution and would be IMO a worse idea than leaving them as-is. Bumpstops act as a secondary spring and prevent the damper from bottoming out; while you would regain some damper travel, you'd also make situations where the dampers compress fully (which are far more frequent now that there's less travel) more jarring. The bumpstop is cushioning you right now.

I like solution #2 if you like the drop these springs gave you.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
DriftDreamzSS
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
the ride is bouncier than I had anticipated judging by other people's comments about the ride with this setup.
Unfortunately you received some pretty bad info, most likely anyone that gives you a good review of aftermarket stiffer springs on stock dampers on most any chassis has no clue what they are talking about. As others have said you need springs AND shocks or a matched coilover kit, no way to cheap out and still get proper results.
      07-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS View Post
no way to cheap out and still get proper results.
I'm just waiting for the OEM shocks to blow and then get the Koni yellows.
      07-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
DriftDreamzSS
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
I'm just waiting for the OEM shocks to blow and then get the Koni yellows.
Sounds like a good plan, Koni Yellows and H&R sports are supposed to be an excellent combo from what I hear.