E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Service engine light with Two S's in icon

11-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

Service engine light with Two S's in icon

Looked in the manual and searched as well, but could not find what this means.

08 e92 335i with 35k on the clock. The symbol looks like two S's stacked on top of each other with the top of the lower S sharing the base of the upper S, if that makes any sense.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj4bmeilgr...eckcontrol.pdf

If you can't find it there, I don't know what to tell you. Or take a damn picture.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

That isn't service engine. It is telling you to take it to BMW so that they can road test the car and tell you you need suspension repairs, alignment, tires, etc. If your car drives fine just reset it. I think it comes on every 2 years regardless of mileage.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
That isn't service engine. It is telling you to take it to BMW so that they can road test the car and tell you you need suspension repairs, alignment, tires, etc. If your car drives fine just reset it. I think it comes on every 2 years regardless of mileage.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Actually, that's incorrect. I believe the light that is being referred to is the emission's testing indicator. Rather than displaying a mileage, it displays a month/year.

It is correct, however, that the light is scheduled to go on every 2 years, as that's how often most states require emissions testing. It's a simply a reminder that it's coming up, however, it is simply on a timer and is not tripped by anything mechanical.

The light that Blackhawk is referring to looks more like the car is on a lift. That's the service inspection light (this one IS based on mileage and/or timers) in which the dealer wants you to pay them $100+ so they can look at your car and tell you a bunch of crap you need to buy from them.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post
Looked in the manual and searched as well, but could not find what this means.

08 e92 335i with 35k on the clock. The symbol looks like two S's stacked on top of each other with the top of the lower S sharing the base of the upper S, if that makes any sense.

Any ideas?
§ this? It's a shorthand symbol for "section."

I still don't know what it means if it lights up in your dash.
      11-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Not true. If the double S symbol is at the rear of the car, it is a reminder for a state or local emissions test as Rydicule said.

And if the double S symbol is at the front of the car, it signals a periodic state/local safety inspection is due.

And if your state doesn't have either of these requirements, then you can easily reset the date far into the future through iDrive or the dash computer. See "Service Requirements" in your manual.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
DetectiveLoki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

I have that light too, but from what I heard from other people at car meet, their SA tell them to just ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveLoki View Post
I have that light too, but from what I heard from other people at car meet, their SA tell them to just ignore it.
Since it is for a gummint safety or emissions inspection, you probably bought the car used. And since it was likely registered in a juristiction which required it, the dash computer had been programmed to display it along with the other "Service Info".

I just set the date far into the future (as detailed in the owner's manual) and never have to see the warning.

Tom
Appreciate 0