E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > tyre help

01-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

tyre help

I've searched and searched but no real clear cut answer

I hit 2 deep potholes in 100m of each other (they were filled with water) and now have 2 bubbled/egged tyres with the tpms warning on the I drive, needs sorting asap as we have only 1 car

Thinking of fitting non rft to oem 18" wheels for cost and ride (other rear tyre is nearly at the wear blocks)

Will the tpms have a wobbly if I fit non rft?

Local tyre shop says I need authority from BMW dealer?

I will check with insurers (lv) but can't really see an issue?

Car is 57 plate on auc warranty until april, which I plan to extend

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
SCN_Saul
United Kingdom
Rep

Or, do I buy a set of replicas and tyres from cm wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

you will be fine with non rfts. Its a straight swap with no issues apart from a better rider and more grip! i've got non rfts on mine and haven't looked back!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

no issues with fitting non RF tyres, tyre place is talking a load of tosh give them a wide berth and go somewhere else

I informed my insurars and they were fine with it and no increase just made a note on the system that I had swapped to non RF tyres

When new tyres are fitted, just reset the tyre monitor and good to go

When i swapped to non RF, one tyre place wanted me to sign a disclaimer saying that i was going against BMW specs and tht any issues (even to not being balanced properly) they would not be liable

The M3 I had for few weeks non RF tyres on there from standard, the tyre place was quoting thyat all BMW came with RF tyres now and non RF would not fit on the rims etc
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Go for it ... Will improve comfort .....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
MPD78
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport 2008

Check with your insurance company first as when I was getting quotes some said that I had to stick with run flats, which I knew I wasn't going to.

As mistryn said, you just reset your tpm once the tyres are fitted. Also every time you put air in them you'll need to reset too. I guess that may be the same for run flats as well though, I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

The tyre centre doesnt know what they are talking about, especially as they are no doubt considering themselves experts. Avoid them.

You can put NonRFT tyre on your wheels. Insurers dont seem to mind unless you change the tyre sizes outside of the range specced for your car by BMW.
My E91 has both 17" and 17" wheels listed in the specifications with dufferent tyre sizes to keep the same outside diameter but same tyre width.
The TPMS doesnt monitor tyre pressures but uses differential wheel revolutions to detect a change in tyre circumference caused by a flat tyre. Change the tyres and reset the TPMS then it should be fine.
      01-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Your local tyre fitters are a bunch of donkeys.

P1sses me off when people who are meant to be experts in their field give out so much bullsh1t!!!....LOL...."authority" from BMW!....that's a new one!...

Normally, it's the suspension system has been set up for rft only. Or the tyre pressure monitor won't work. or the wheels have been designed for rft only. Or, the car doesn't have a spare wheel!!!!!!!! ...what if you get a puncture sir? ...the world will end!!!!....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Your local tyre fitters are a bunch of donkeys.

P1sses me off when people who are meant to be experts in their field give out so much bullsh1t!!!....LOL...."authority" from BMW!....that's a new one!...

Normally, it's the suspension system has been set up for rft only. Or the tyre pressure monitor won't work. or the wheels have been designed for rft only. Or, the car doesn't have a spare wheel!!!!!!!! ...what if you get a puncture sir? ...the world will end!!!!....
You always write stuff far more eloquently than anyone alse can manage Kev,and with it, your unique turn of phrase

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
SCN_Saul
United Kingdom
Rep

indeed, had the scare story from one this morning on insurance, bmw dealer said what if you get a puncture (i countered with "you sell a mobility kit dont you?" yes we do sir £80+vat lol)

eagle f1's non rft all round fitting tomorrow from event tyres £596 all in

i rang LV (insurers) who are fine with non rft as long as same size as current tyres on stock wheels
Appreciate 0