E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i Coupe "Turbo Lungs" review - author inside

08-15-2006, 10:34 AM   #45
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

Thanks for the feedback Reilly.

And if your asking for somone to test cars,, well Just get in touch with me.

Lol,,, thats one lotto ticket I would love to be holding!!!!! What a job, even when you have to test a Lumina, lol.

I think I could get away with the 335i with lsd,,, but without, I just dont think 300lb/ft + ice + slight incline + peak tq @ 1400rpm is a good idea.

I guess I can look to see how much more the 330ix weighs than the 330i, and get a good idea what the 335ix will weigh.

Having an evo8 for the past 3 yrs. Im really looking at getting somthing a little less raw. But I sure would enjoy a nice rear drive car again.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #46
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Silvr,
I think we're in similar boats. I've had my wrx for 5 years and am looking for something less raw. It pains me to give up the AWD for winter, but, RWD is the way to go with the 335 (or even 330 for that matter). I understand the concern with peak tq at 1400 rpm...I guess it will just mean a light throttle foot with some good snows mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo
Thanks for the feedback Reilly.

And if your asking for somone to test cars,, well Just get in touch with me.

Lol,,, thats one lotto ticket I would love to be holding!!!!! What a job, even when you have to test a Lumina, lol.

I think I could get away with the 335i with lsd,,, but without, I just dont think 300lb/ft + ice + slight incline + peak tq @ 1400rpm is a good idea.

I guess I can look to see how much more the 330ix weighs than the 330i, and get a good idea what the 335ix will weigh.

Having an evo8 for the past 3 yrs. Im really looking at getting somthing a little less raw. But I sure would enjoy a nice rear drive car again.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #47
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
The article confirms what we already know about BMW's usage of two small turbochargers, not arranged sequentially, but in parallel, each to handle 3-cylinders. Their small size probably minimizes turbo lag, and the boost though likely smaller than typical turbochargers, would come on more quickly. Hence, the de-emphasizing of the "turbo" as we have come to expect.
I have read an lot of posts and even magazine articles about this engine saying that it has one turbo each for three cylinders. This is not totally accurate.

Each turbo is driven by three cylinders but, the output tubes from the 2 turbos merges almost immediately after they leave the turbo housings (see red circle on attached photo). Also the engine has only one intercooler and only one intake plenum. All of the compessed gases from both turbos mix immediately.

Therefore each turbo fills all six cylinders but is driven by only three.
Attached Images

Last edited by goldminer; 08-15-2006 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #48
reilly
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tatra V-8

Like all new car launches, I would recommend a "watch period" of about six to nine months before anyone puts any serious mods on the car. It's usually in that window that the best stuff will come to market and some of the other, more adventurous members of the buyer base (like some people on this board) will have the opportunity to break things and provide feedback. Of course, some non-core mods aren't life threatening and should be explored, if your budget can handle it.

From the list you provided, I would recommend non run flat tires, but I would balance that by saying that the tires are very well balanced to the chassis setup. The Z4 is the only BMW I've driven where the run flats really cause any distraction. But, if you're a non-run flat kind of person (and I'd be with you on that one), that would certainly be an easy modification.

A shorter shift setup would be one of my first orders of business as well. Unlike most of you on this board, I don't drive a BMW every day and an ever-appearing note in my notebook is that I have a hard time smoothing out my 1st-to-2nd shifts given the length of the shifter. This would certainly help a bit if you want to put the 335i through its paces.

Bigger wheels are a personal preference, although up here in Michigan I usually recommend smaller wheels. Very few people consider that tires can be used as an integral part of damping, but I know most of us are willing to sacrifice that for the purpose of greater performance.

One last note: I'd probably go out and get some 3M protective plastic stickons for the lenses. They're beautiful and I wouldn't want to knick them.

Like I said in my story, I was surprised at how non-turbo this turbo felt. I'm sure many of you will feel the same way as well.

Thanks,

Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Reilly, thanks for your feedback, this is great.
What modifications would you recommend? Many of us on this list are interested in getting such things as an aftermarket LSD, additional strut brace, M-sport interior pieces (steering wheel, shorter shift knob), 19" wheels, and non-run flat tires. For the typical sporting driver that likes to drive fast, but is not likely to put the car on the track other than the occasional run around the 'ring, what do you see as the priorities (if any)?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #49
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Sounds like another win for our favorite car company. I am glad that the E92 looks good and drives well. E9x FTW!

me too, look at the 3rd pic, that shot does it for me, great design...only from certain angles it looks too long but we've heard from everyone who saw it, that it looks great in real life. and oh yeah, great engine!