E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Breffo Spiderpodium - iPhone/etc. Mount

02-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Breffo Spiderpodium - iPhone/etc. Mount

So, in my continual search for the ideal mounting/integration solution for my iPhone, I've recently tried out the Breffo Spiderpodium.

Name:  brefo.jpg
Views: 3429
Size:  49.2 KB

This is a bendy rubbery thing (think Gumby and Pokey) that has 8 "arms". You can use 4 of them to grip the iPhone (or nav device or really any other small-ish flat thing) and then push the other 4 arms into the dash vent. No need to actually bend them into the vent, they just sort of grip. The arms bend any which way, so you can position the unit as desired...i.e., it can tilt toward you so that you can easily see it with a quick glance to the dash. To me, this puts the device safely in eye's view and doesn't require very much looking down or unsafely away from the road.

I've connected my iPhone to the 6FL cable via a Cablejive docking cable extension (which works well and fully passes all signals from the iPhone or my iPod Touch to the 6FL cable). Right now, I have the cable just running out of the center "armrest" compartment. I may later re-route the cable under the center trim and up through the ashtray for a cleaner installation.

Name:  mounted.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  41.7 KB

(sorry for the crappy image on this one, but I couldn't use the iPhone camera once the phone was mounted on the Breffo)

The nice thing about the Breffo is that it doesn't require any kind of permanent mounting and once I pull it out there's no sign that I had anything mounted in the car. This seems handy for parking (when I don't want some jerk looking in my car for evidence of some device and then breaking into the car looking for it). Plus, the Breffo can be used as a tripod, stand, etc. for other devices outside of the car. I can just toss it into my bag and use it elsewhere...and then re-bend it for the car mount when I return to the car.

Obviously the mount has nothing to do with the specifics of how I integrate the iPhone (or Touch) into the car's audio system. If I had a car that supported A2DP (and had iDrive) I'd need no cable at all, at least for music. Just for phone, I use the bluetooth integration. As it is, I'm on the wall between the 6FL iPod integration - which I have - and a charging dock connection/AUX solution like the Griffin AutoPilot (I have this too and like the fact that this solution allows control of the iPhone's iPod functions via the iPhone itself versus only through the headunit). Either way, the Breffo and the Cablejive cable seem like keepers and part of whatever solution I want.

http://www.breffo.com/about.html
http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockXtender.html
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Perfectus
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i/F10 528XI

That's awesome! I just ordered one from Amazon.
Injen DCI w/ Cyba Scoop - M-Tech Rear - ///M3 Rear Lip Spoiler - ///M5 SMG Shift Knob & iDrive Knob - BMW Performance Hand Brake - BMWCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
You can get something like the black berry stereo gateway to stream music from your phone to your aux port. I use one and it sound great!

Have you checked out the x-way magnet mount?
Appreciate 0