E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > DRYING CAR

08-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #45
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I use microfiber waffle weave towel from Meguiars.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #46
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G30 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 530I M Sport   [0.00]
  [10.00]
MicroFiber works best, very soft, dry without a whole lot of pressure on paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #47
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I like leafblower, but quick, not fully dry. Then waffle weave microfiber. Actually I use 2 MF drying towels. 1 in each hand, quicker.

Hit the paint w/ some QD after and your golden. I prefer this stuff.....Jeff's Acrylic Gloss, keeps a great shine and is easy to use.

http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/acrylic-glos.php
      08-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #48
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
+1 on sheet drying. This process will eliminate 80%+ of the water on the surface, especially if you have a good layer of protection underneath. After you have rinsed off your vehicle for the final time, remove your spray nozzle. Flood the surface of the vehicle from the top down. The flooding creates a sheeting effect that will self dry the vehicle. What I do is start from the top of the vehicle and move left to right with the hose. On the way back, right to left, lower the hose to the point where the water is falling and proceed to "catch" the falling water from your initial pass. Continue this method until you reach the bottom of the car. Like I said, you'll notice a vast majority of the water off the paint before you even begin to use your drying towel.

My product of choice for drying towels is Microfiber Waffle Weave Towels. Whatever water is left on the surface, I'll start by blot drying the bulk of it, then either grab a second WW or turn to a dry part of the large towel and wipe off the remaining water with as little pressure as possible.

This combination of sheeting the water and the microfiber waffle weave drying towels is the safest combination I have found for quickly and effectively drying your vehicle, while minimizing adding additional imperfections into the paint. Seventy percent or more of imperfections typically occur by using improper washing and drying products and techniques.

Chamois tend to have a fairly flat surface, which if there is still contamination on the surface (which more than likely there is, even after a wash, whether you can see it visibly or not), you risk adding swirls to the paint. Similar reason why a sponge is one of the worst things you wash your vehicle with. You want something with texture and a thicker pile so that contamination is not just being pushed around the surface, but can be absorbed into and pulled away from the surface. This is why the textured microfiber waffle weave is the choice of professionals. If I didn't have a waffle weave microfiber towel available, then a chamois would be my second choice of drying towel.

EDIT - Over the summer, I plan on doing some testing on Waffle Weave vs. Chamois vs. Leaf Blower vs. Drying Blade vs. Normal Cotton Towel. I will be sure to share the results and conclusions with everyone.

My .02

George

+1. One large waffle weave after sheeting the car will do my entire E92. I have two, but I have never had to use the second one. There just isn't that much water left on the paint after sheeting it. Of course, in AZ the air is usually pretty dry and that helps...
      08-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #49
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
I use microfiber waffle weave towel from Meguiars.
+1

i love those it makes drying my car so much easier now...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #50
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Micro fiber towel...works better than Chamois, IMO