E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Is it my shocks? or is it my springs? O.o

10-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Is it my shocks? or is it my springs? O.o

Hello,
My car has been dropping lower and lower since i've gotten my car a few years back. A friend of mine said it was the shocks that was dead. Another friend told me that my springs are dead? How can you tell which one it is without taking everything apart? The shocks still make a purge sound when i hit speed bumps and little dips just as it did when i first got it the only thing is that it feels more laggy when i take corners faster. Could anyone help me?
Thank youu
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

springs tend to drop overtime...after a while they just settle. If your shock is bad then you will feel it when you hit a bump or anything related.
      10-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

bounce on each corner. if the car keeps going up and down your shocks/struts are done.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
if your car bounces after you hit a bump, shocks are blown. sagging is usually spring related, and thats what happens to springs over time.

if i see it right, you have an 09 so its unlikely that your shocks are blown due to age.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Hello,
My car has been dropping lower and lower since i've gotten my car a few years back. A friend of mine said it was the shocks that was dead. Another friend told me that my springs are dead? How can you tell which one it is without taking everything apart? The shocks still make a purge sound when i hit speed bumps and little dips just as it did when i first got it the only thing is that it feels more laggy when i take corners faster. Could anyone help me?
Thank youu
struts and shocks don't serve the function of supporting vehicle weight.

You will want to look at your springs, strut mounts and rubber suspension bushings for wear(in the case of the springs - sagging).
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
if your car bounces after you hit a bump, shocks are blown. sagging is usually spring related, and thats what happens to springs over time.

if i see it right, you have an 09 so its unlikely that your shocks are blown due to age.
sadly no i've been racing in the canyons and it does toll to your suspension when youre going uphill
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

my girlfriend just said that it bounces when i take corners but very lightly not violently like other cars do you guys think that the problems would be fixed if i get new springs?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
my girlfriend just said that it bounces when i take corners but very lightly not violently like other cars do you guys think that the problems would be fixed if i get new springs?
Sagging is one problem and if you are just bounces over bumps and continues to do so than you have another.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

noo not that, the speed bumps aren't actually that bad. Only when i hit dips fast do you think it'd be more forgiving when i get new springs?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
noo not that, the speed bumps aren't actually that bad. Only when i hit dips fast do you think it'd be more forgiving when i get new springs?
By process of elimination you are due for some new replacement springs. You will have to have a BMW independent to determine if your shuts and shocks are bad too.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

thank you for your help! and thank you everyone for your inputs
Appreciate 0