E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any hardcore/oldskool/rave/jungle/dnb fans?

07-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Any hardcore/oldskool/rave/jungle/dnb fans?

Rather than potentially clog up the what are you listening to thread, I thought I'd start a new one...

Are there any fans on here?
I started listening to hardcore in late 91, starting buying tunes and mixing in early 92.
I then followed the scene intensely all the way through the hardcore era of 92-94, 94-95 jungle, 96-2004 dnb scene until I sold my entire collection in 2004 due to loss of interest in the music coming out from 99-04.
Thankfully I ripped my entire collection before selling, and a couple of years ago got another pair of 1200's MK5's and Serato which I now use just for the enjoyment of mixing for my own pleasure.

From 92-98 I played out at tons of events in and around Northamptonshire including many residencies, the best one being 3 years at the famous Equinox@Milwaukees near Rushden/Bedford every Friday night along side all the big names such as Bukem, Hype, Fabio, Rap, Ray Keith, Slipmatt, Vibes, etc etc etc

This is a little 15 min mess about I did recently

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Surprised there is no interest?
Just incase, here's a little mix I did this morning

https://soundcloud.com/djdestiny/dj-...h-ready-vol-12
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
SBE92LCI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d LCI

Not really for me - scares me a bit to be honest.

Afrobeat for me at the moment for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
Rather than potentially clog up the what are you listening to thread, I thought I'd start a new one...

Are there any fans on here?
I started listening to hardcore in late 91, starting buying tunes and mixing in early 92.
I then followed the scene intensely all the way through the hardcore era of 92-94, 94-95 jungle, 96-2004 dnb scene until I sold my entire collection in 2004 due to loss of interest in the music coming out from 99-04.
Thankfully I ripped my entire collection before selling, and a couple of years ago got another pair of 1200's MK5's and Serato which I now use just for the enjoyment of mixing for my own pleasure.

From 92-98 I played out at tons of events in and around Northamptonshire including many residencies, the best one being 3 years at the famous Equinox@Milwaukees near Rushden/Bedford every Friday night along side all the big names such as Bukem, Hype, Fabio, Rap, Ray Keith, Slipmatt, Vibes, etc etc etc
Yep, was well into it in 90-95, as above.

Too many young 'uns on here, don't know what you're on about

Not listended yet to your mix - i'm at work., but can imagine how good it is

Went to Milwaukees for my 21st In 1993!! - well and truly mullered!

Being from Staffs, Shelleys (harcore Sat nights only of course) / Entropy / Kinetic were our stomping grounds.

Did lots of the numerous Dance Planet do's at the Aston Villa Leisure Centre.

Remember the early years of the mental one-off all nighters? Amnesia wedding in Northampton? Amdromeda @ Telford Ice Rink '91? Helter Skelter do's?

Seems soooooo old now.... mental!

Last edited by doughboy; 09-05-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A big gold navara

I'm with you guys. Club kinetic did the northgate arena, Chester in '97, so I was 16. I remember doing the white gloves and glow sticks.

I wasn't that into the jungle stuff, or the harder stuff (can't even remember what we used to call it...)

Vibe's and livelee were my thing, I still remember some of the livelee lyrics now. I was well into hardcore heaven and all that. When I listen now I still love it!
      09-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
detachngo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport Business Edit

I liked your mix. I'm impressed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

There was on oldskool thread in here some time ago
Have a look see whats in it was a while ago though

Here's the link to it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=oldskool

Last edited by Irnbrukid; 09-05-2013 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
DTB
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i

I was into the Scottish scene from about 91 - 96. Holocaust, Rezerections, Calton Studios, Pure, The Bunker, etc. So many good nights bouncing. So many hopeless Sundays trying in vain to re-hydrate. Half a lifetime ago...
      09-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

No shit, just clicked.. Dest = DJ Destiny?

I remember that name, now let me try and dig out some old flyers from the attic..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

very good
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Yep, was well into it in 90-95, as above.

Too many young 'uns on here, don't know what you're on about

Not listended yet to your mix - i'm at work., but can imagine how good it is

Went to Milwaukees for my 21st In 1993!! - well and truly mullered!

Being from Staffs, Shelleys (harcore Sat nights only of course) / Entropy / Kinetic were our stomping grounds.

Did lots of the numerous Dance Planet do's at the Aston Villa Leisure Centre.

Remember the early years of the mental one-off all nighters? Amnesia wedding in Northampton? Amdromeda @ Telford Ice Rink '91? Helter Skelter do's?

Seems soooooo old now.... mental!
Yeah, I went to loads of big events in 92, but mostly small local ones every week in Peterborough and of course Milwaukees (that was my local!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrado View Post
I'm with you guys. Club kinetic did the northgate arena, Chester in '97, so I was 16. I remember doing the white gloves and glow sticks.

I wasn't that into the jungle stuff, or the harder stuff (can't even remember what we used to call it...)

Vibe's and livelee were my thing, I still remember some of the livelee lyrics now. I was well into hardcore heaven and all that. When I listen now I still love it!
Happy hardcore did my head in after 96, it went far too cheesy and stompy for my liking. I do have a mix I did around 97 or so with my mates tunes that you would probably love, I'll get it uploaded soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachngo View Post
I liked your mix. I'm impressed.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
There was on oldskool thread in here some time ago
Have a look see whats in it was a while ago though

Here's the link to it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=oldskool
Just had a quick read, in relation to the tunes shared on that thread (for backup purposes of course ) I have over 8000, so if anyone is after something specific I should be able to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
No shit, just clicked.. Dest = DJ Destiny?

I remember that name, now let me try and dig out some old flyers from the attic..
Yep, it got shortened to Dest around 2000 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
very good
Cheers

I'm archiving my old mixes here bit by bit

http://www.mixcloud.com/dj-destiny/
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #12
adamroutley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M-sport Touring E90

YES!!! Speaking my language now! Never listened to any of the rave stuff but was heavily into my jungle and d'n'b right up until 2004ish when the vibe just changed!

I always state that "if you claim to know d'n'b but have never heard of the likes of ES, Hazard, J Majik, Calibre, then I will assume you mean Pop-music"

Will have a listen to your mix at lunch (I'm at work now) but from that intro, it will no doubt be heavy!

BIG LOVE Dest!

Edit: Just had a quick listen and saw the Metalheads slippy...I KNOW it's going to be epic!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah yes, its always heavy and definitely underground!
One thing you can be sure of with my mixes is that I never bash the anthems.
There are far too many over played tunes that are just boring now.
Yes, they are and always will be excellent tunes, but I'm sick of hearing them

Also, I'm from the oldskool mixing era, I use 2 Technics and a mixer, no sync buttons to beat match for you and no preplanned set/mixes nonsense
That is why my mixes have the odd mistake here and there, but that adds to the realism, I gave up trying to do clinically perfect mixes donkeys years ago.
They also usually end up being a bit too boring too!
Give me loooooong Randall style mixes any day or as influenced by Ellis Dee back in 92, lots of chopping.

I don't get on the decks often enough these days due to lack of time, but I'm going to try to put a bit more aside to get a regular mix online
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #14
HeavyRightFoot
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

That's a really good mix, I was well into D&B in the 90's
Good old days...
      09-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #15
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I should add.... Ive been a fan of Hazard for a long time, I loved the fact that he was one of the few that bought some fun back into dnb tunes.
It was all getting a bit too serious and dull (my favourite era is 94-97 dnb/jungle wise) from 99 onwards, which is why I lost interest in it all and stuck to the older tunes.
I know he got slated a lot and called cheesy, but tunes like Mr Happy, Busted, Against the clock, Platinum shadows etc always put a smile on my face!

J Majik... as soon as I hear his name, it reminds me of Needle point majik, some amazing early Metalheadz tunage! That bass drop is so HEAVY on a big system.
The Rufige Cru remix of Sunray is a huge favourite too.

There are some wicked Calibre tunes that I love, mostly from around 2004 or so.
Mr Maverick, PUR, Cold halo, Brother, Mr Majestic, Blue top etc
Edit: How could I forgot Drowning in you
Thinking about it, a mix of just Calibre tunes would be a good idea in the near future

Last edited by dest; 09-06-2013 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I'm slightly afraid to listen to it incase I get a flashback of much better and then a few hours later much worse times.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
I'm slightly afraid to listen to it incase I get a flashback of much better and then a few hours later much worse times.
LOL - you mean the goosebumps at first as it all floods back, then a strange sick feeling followed by pressing the stop button quickly and getting back to your thankfully now normal work / life / etc
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

The music always stays good no matter how old it is, so you might aswell enjoy it!
I love listening to it all now just as much as I did back then, if anything it's even more these days
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Had to kill it... i wanted to dance... not approriate at my desk at work..

I am smiling like a fat kid who got cake tho
      09-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
adamroutley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M-sport Touring E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
Ah yes, its always heavy and definitely underground!
One thing you can be sure of with my mixes is that I never bash the anthems.
There are far too many over played tunes that are just boring now.
Yes, they are and always will be excellent tunes, but I'm sick of hearing them

Also, I'm from the oldskool mixing era, I use 2 Technics and a mixer, no sync buttons to beat match for you and no preplanned set/mixes nonsense
That is why my mixes have the odd mistake here and there, but that adds to the realism, I gave up trying to do clinically perfect mixes donkeys years ago.
They also usually end up being a bit too boring too!
Give me loooooong Randall style mixes any day or as influenced by Ellis Dee back in 92, lots of chopping.

I don't get on the decks often enough these days due to lack of time, but I'm going to try to put a bit more aside to get a regular mix online
I'm exactly the same, I've had two Stanton STR8-30's for about 10 years now beat up and worked but they still work like a dream! I also have 2 CDJs which rarely get switched on because they may have all the features under the sun but it's just not the same feel!

I've had a look into Serato this afternoon to preserve that vinyl feel! Tempted to flog the CDJ's to make way for that!

When I mentioned Hazard I was strictly talking about before the days of Mr Happy...Cola Cube, Machete, Heads Will Roll! I am from just outside Birmingham though so I'm slightly biased towards him! HA!

ps. I've subscribed to your youtube channel
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I was bang into it from '89-93 but then started listening to more house, bought my 1210's in '94. Then bought CDJ 1000s and never really felt the same, that 2000 I guess, so sold them and stopped for years.
Bought a controller in 2008 after 7 or 8 years without decks, with Traktor, but never really got on with it, then bought an Allen & Heath with Serato and that felt much more raw and got back into it.

I tend to play stuff at 118-124bpm these days, stuff I want to listen to at home. House stuff though, I guess deep house but always with tech feel and a more underground sound, not 'EDM'!!! haha

I might actually ask if you have a load of old skool tunes that you could send me as someone asked me to do a retrospective mix and could do with a load if you have them?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

A list would be good if you have one, but i know 8000 is a long list.
Appreciate 0