E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > AUTO DETAILING 101---Quick Reference List

05-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
dwarner4
Teutonic Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E91x

Garage List
AUTO DETAILING 101---Quick Reference List

I had been searching for a definitive guide on auto detailing that was presented in simplified form. All over the internet you can find great resources as to how to properly detail your vehicle, but none seemed to have a quick list I could print out and hang in my garage for reference. So I created this one... It may not be perfect, but hopefully somebody can find it helpful. Some of you professional detailers may want to add, subtract or amend the list. Either way, I thought I might share it on E90 Post for anyone who may be interested...Once you get a grasp on how to properly handle the job and what you'll need product and equipment-wise, you really just need to know the steps so you don't overlook anything, or make more work for yourself than is necessary. I think this 25 step guide may be of some assistance...

AUTO DETAILING 101

1. Shampoo or Apply Upholstery Cleaner to Carpets & Floor Mats
2. Vacuum Floor Mats, Carpets & Trunk Compartment
3. Clean & Condition Leather w/ Quality Leather Products
4. Spray Air Vents w/ Light Spray Protectant
5. Detail Interior Surfaces w/ Dressing or Protectant
6. Clean Interior Glass w/ Auto-Glass Cleaner
7. Remove Leaves & Debris from Engine Compartment
8. With Engine Warm, Cover Electrical Components & Spark Plugs
9. Apply Engine Degreaser to Engine Compartment. Where Safe…
10. Brush Grease & Persistent Debris From Engine Compartment
11. Rinse Engine Area Thoroughly,Towel Dry and Apply Dressing. Start Engine Now…
12. Remove Road Tar & Bug Debris w/ Remover Products
13. Detail Undercarriage w/ Inexpensive Dressing or Protectant
14. Clay Bar Detail Paint Surfaces w/ Lubricating Detailer’s Mist
15. Repair Scratches, Nicks, & Paint Damage
16. Quick Clean w/Detailer’s Mist or Wash Car Again
17. Clean Door Jambs w/ Detailer’s Mist & Dressing
18. Apply Glaze/Polish- Orbital Buffer is Preferred Method of Application
19. Remove Glaze or Polish w/ Clean Cotton or Micro-Fiber Towel
20. Apply Natural Carnauba Wax by Hand w/Micro-Fiber Pad
21. Remove Wax Completely (Skip Steps 20 & 21 if desired or w/Nanowax)
22. Polish Wheels & Chrome Parts w/ Polish & Chrome Polish
23. Apply High Quality Tire Dressing to Tires
24. Remove Wheel Polish w/ Micro-Fiber Cloth
25. Hand Buff Entire Vehicle w/ Clean Micro-Fiber Cloths

ENJOY YOUR HARD LABOR…
Attached Images

Last edited by dwarner4; 05-14-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
2QAYL
Canada
Rep
Drives: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarner4 View Post

AUTO DETAILING 101

1. Shampoo or Apply Upholstery Cleaner to Carpets & Floor Mats
2. Vacuum Floor Mats, Carpets & Trunk Compartment
3. Clean & Condition Leather w/ Quality Leather Products
4. Spray Air Vents w/ Light Spray Protectant
5. Detail Interior Surfaces w/ Dressing or Protectant
6. Clean Interior Glass w/ Auto-Glass Cleaner
7. Remove Leaves & Debris from Engine Compartment
8. With Engine Warm, Cover Electrical Components & Spark Plugs
9. Apply Engine Degreaser to Engine Compartment. Where Safe…
10. Brush Grease & Persistent Debris From Engine Compartment
11. Rinse Engine Area Thoroughly & Towel Dry. Start Engine Now…
12. Remove Road Tar & Bug Debris w/ Remover Products
13. Detail Undercarriage w/ Inexpensive Dressing or Protectant
14. Clay Bar Detail Paint Surfaces w/ Lubricating Detailer’s Mist
15. Repair Scratches, Nicks, & Paint Damage
16. Quick Clean w/Detailer’s Mist or Wash Car Again
17. Clean Door Jambs w/ Detailer’s Mist & Dressing
18. Apply Glaze/Polish- Orbital Buffer is Preferred Method of Application
19. Remove Glaze or Polish w/ Clean Cotton or Micro-Fiber Towel
20. Apply Natural Carnauba Wax by Hand w/Micro-Fiber Pad
21. Remove Wax Completely (Skip Steps 20 & 21 if desired or w/Nanowax)
22. Polish Wheels & Chrome Parts w/ Polish & Chrome Polish
23. Apply High Quality Tire Dressing to Tires
24. Remove Wheel Polish w/ Micro-Fiber Cloth
25. Hand Buff Entire Vehicle w/ Clean Micro-Fiber Cloths

ENJOY YOUR HARD LABOR…
I can appreciate that each person will have their own way of doing things and I hope that my 10 years in the auto care industry will provide some insight.

Point #8 is a little worrysome, as some parts in your engine may contract when hit with cooler water. Always try to have the engine as cool as possible. Also, in point #11, there is no need to towel dry. Infact, you can use a silicone based lubricant to dress the engine to give it that "wow" factor.

As for your exterior procedure, start with washing the car to get any fine debris off. Otherwise you will be dragging any and all dirt particles when you remove the tar. This is especially important when claying the car. It is ment to remove contaminants, not pick up every piece of dirt and turn your claybar into sandpaper. Prior to polishing wash the car again! You will need to remove any residue left by the clay. Also, remember to never wax or polish in direct sunlight. Some products will bake onto your paint, leaving perminant damage.

I'm going to suggest trying an alternative method which you can find here: http://www.gmperformancetuning.com/f...-thread-10566/

It is very well written and easy to follow and provides some product and tool suggestions.

Hope I didn't come off being harsh. Just trying to help.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
dwarner4
Teutonic Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E91x

Garage List
Quote:
Point #8 is a little worrysome, as some parts in your engine may contract when hit with cooler water. Always try to have the engine as cool as possible.
Quote:
Hope I didn't come off being too harsh
No offense taken. I've been to the site you referred to and about 8 others that say virtually the same thing...All the info is fantastic but it doesn't address my needs and I would assume some of us who have been cleaning our own cars for over 20 years. Knowing how to properly detail isn't the problem. The problem was that there were no quick lists available (that I could find)anywhere on the net. I just was looking for a simple list of order for reference. That's why I made this... If you noticed, there really weren't many instructions, because you can find instructions everywhere. It's just a list to refer to if you desire.

As for the point you made about the engine being warm, below is my resource for that info. It comes from http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-engine.html

To loosen the grease accumulated on your engine and the engine compartment, start your engine and allow it to warm for a few minutes. The best temperature for cleaning your engine is warm to the touch, but not hot. If you're able to hold your hand to the engine without saying "Ouch," then the temperature is just about right.

Quote:
Also, in point #11, there is no need to towel dry. Infact, you can use a silicone based lubricant to dress the engine to give it that "wow" factor.
Towel drying eliminates the possibility of water spots appearing on plastic parts...

Here you advise to wash the car again before polishing...

Quote:
As for your exterior procedure, start with washing the car to get any fine debris off. Otherwise you will be dragging any and all dirt particles when you remove the tar. This is especially important when claying the car. It is ment to remove contaminants, not pick up every piece of dirt and turn your claybar into sandpaper. Prior to polishing wash the car again! You will need to remove any residue left by the clay. Also, remember to never wax or polish in direct sunlight. Some products will bake onto your paint, leaving perminant damage.

If you go over the list and look at #16, you may see that was already included.

Again, just a list...

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
2QAYL
Canada
Rep
Drives: None yet

Excellent clarification. For some reason I jumped to some conclusions when writing that at 4am. lol.

I 100% agree with your engine detailing and the "warm but not hot." I have never personally had problems with water spots, but I'm sure there are some who have and thinking further it is a good option in some cases.

As for point #16, I must have missed the "or wash car again." My bad.

Overall, good resource!
Appreciate 0