E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just installed Procede V5 and popped codes

12-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Just installed Procede V5 and popped codes

I removed the neg battery cable, installed the Procede Rev 2.5 according to the instructions and then reconnected the neg battery cable. I also disconnected the exhaust solenoid harness to allow the code clearing.

On startup, I did see the Procede "dash flash" animation.

I started the car, after a significantly longer crank than usual, and it started popping codes. Told me that there was a DSC fault, reduced power engine limp mode, Service engine soon, and there is an occasional miss or stumble in the idle. I turned it off, restarted and everything is the exact same.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

Double check ur work. Perhaps get to it 10m later
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep

I have checked everything, and it all looks correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity26 View Post
I have checked everything, and it all looks correct.
For your symptoms,you must have crossed something wrong.I would recheck your wiring if not shoot shiv a email.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

99% of the time its user install error.
I happened to get a defectictive unit, got replaement and it worked perfectly.
But male sure you have someone local to come help you out
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Sounds a lot like what happened to me the first time I installed mine.

If all your connections are in the right places, take each connector apart and verify no bent pins. That was my problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

Edit: double post
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep

After changing my underwear, I double checked everything and it was all correct. I pulled the connectors apart and checked, no bent pins, I wiggled them together gently and made sure they connected, restarted and no change.

The entire install was "picture perfect" with the exception of the large connector. When the Procede connectors are installed, the large connector takes a lot more force to install. Upon replacing the stock connectors, the large harness takes about the same force as the smaller one. I double checked to make sure that the connectors were in the correct direction, were all the way in and "clicked", and they were both fine. There is no evidence that they did not line up with the pins or anything. The pins on the ECM looked perfect.

Through all of this, the unit was totally responsive to me, it did the little flash animation on the info center, I was able to change maps, and the car would start and run. I tried map 0, to see if it would let the stock ECM take over, but it was exactly the same as any of the other maps. If I did anything drastically wrong, wrong connector in a slot, backwards connector, plugged the wrong connectors together, the car would not start. I double checked all of the arrows, in the slot and on the connectors and everything looked fine.

I went in, did the clear codes procedure, and it appears that it cleared almost everything. I removed the Procede completely, and put it back 100% stock.

The engine starts immediately and runs perfectly, as it did before, and the only code showing is the "service engine soon" indicator light.

If I had to make a prediction, I would guess there is a problem in the wiring harness. I just upgraded to the 2.5, so Shiv sent me a new unit with the latest maps. I sent my harness in (it is a old one, with all the wires the same color) and they sent it back without a comment. I am not sure if they checked it out or just looked at the pins.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

Try calling Vishnu and seeing if somebody got the short straw and had to work today lol

I wish you the best of luck man. If you're sure it's installed right and no bent pins and you've done a firmware refresh and uploaded new maps then I don't know how to diagnose this over the internet.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep

I did not do anything to it after getting it from Shiv. I messaged Robert a few days ago and he told me it was GTG with all of the latest maps (11-25) and firmware. I did not attempt to re-flash the unit or load anything.

I called and they are on vacation from the 24th and do not return until after the 1st of Jan.

I plan to put everything in the box and wait until they return. Unless they know what is wrong, I do not plan to try again until I can get them to bench test the harness and unit.

The only remaining scar is the service engine soon light on the dash, although the computer confirms that all systems are fine and no maintenance is due for a long time, even the oil change is fresh.

I really appreciate your help, I realize how hard it is to diagnose the problem with such limited information.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Once you drive around for a little bit the ses light will disappear. Or better yet. Turn the car on and off about 4 or 5 times. Each time leaving it on for Two minutes in between each of the startups. Good luck but honestly I have seen about 1000 of these threads and 99% it's installer error. The connectors have arrows on the harnass make sure when connected to the actual ecu wires the arrow is on opposite sides of each other
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Once you drive around for a little bit the ses light will disappear. Or better yet. Turn the car on and off about 4 or 5 times. Each time leaving it on for Two minutes in between each of the startups. Good luck but honestly I have seen about 1000 of these threads and 99% it's installer error. The connectors have arrows on the harnass make sure when connected to the actual ecu wires the arrow is on opposite sides of each other
I agree, but could not see what I had done wrong. I checked, and double checked the arrows on all of the connectors and made sure that all of the pins were aligned when I plugged together the connectors. I am just not sure how I could have gotten it close enough that the car could run, but be wrong. The unit itself just came from Shiv, but the harness is likely from a much older unit. I fear that there may be issues with the harness causing the problems.

At this point, I am just glad that everything seems back to normal and I can drive to work in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

Quote:
I agree, but could not see what I had done wrong. I checked, and double checked the arrows on all of the connectors and made sure that all of the pins were aligned when I plugged together the connectors. I am just not sure how I could have gotten it close enough that the car could run, but be wrong. The unit itself just came from Shiv, but the harness is likely from a much older unit. I fear that there may be issues with the harness causing the problems.

At this point, I am just glad that everything seems back to normal and I can drive to work in the morning.

Disconnect the negitve battery cable for 10 min,that also does the trick.If not drive to a autozone and have them delete it for free.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

The more I think about it, the more I wish you had tried a firmware reload and reloading the maps. Sometimes firmware can become corrupted and it wouldn't have taken very long to verify. Maybe a local member can come out and go through the installation again and then update firmware and maps and see if it works. If it doesn't then we have no option other than waiting for Vishnu to open after New Years.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep

I am perfectly willing to admit that my experience scared the crap out of me.
The fact that I was able to restore everything to stock and fix the problem gives me some comfort, but I am not willing to go through all that again until I am able to confirm that the unit and harness are working properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
I experienced the same thing at first startup after install. I my case it probably was because I didnt disconnect the battery (since the install video didnt mention this).

Anyway, after turning off the car, feeling panic-like emotions and browsing the web for solutions I went back to the car after about 30 mins, started it up and it worked fine ever since..

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
I experienced the same thing at first startup after install. I my case it probably was because I didnt disconnect the battery (since the install video didnt mention this).

Anyway, after turning off the car, feeling panic-like emotions and browsing the web for solutions I went back to the car after about 30 mins, started it up and it worked fine ever since..

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
The more I think about it, the more I wish you had tried a firmware reload and reloading the maps. Sometimes firmware can become corrupted and it wouldn't have taken very long to verify. Maybe a local member can come out and go through the installation again and then update firmware and maps and see if it works. If it doesn't then we have no option other than waiting for Vishnu to open after New Years.
+1 on trying to reload firmware and maps + reset all adaptations (per readme.txt with firmware rev)

IMO its worth putting your unit back in and trying this vs shipping it back to vishnu first, but good luck either way...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #19
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E70 X5d

Quote:
I did not do anything to it after getting it from Shiv. I messaged Robert a few days ago and he told me it was GTG with all of the latest maps (11-25) and firmware. I did not attempt to re-flash the unit or load anything.

I called and they are on vacation from the 24th and do not return until after the 1st of Jan.

I plan to put everything in the box and wait until they return. Unless they know what is wrong, I do not plan to try again until I can get them to bench test the harness and unit.

The only remaining scar is the service engine soon light on the dash, although the computer confirms that all systems are fine and no maintenance is due for a long time, even the oil change is fresh.

I really appreciate your help, I realize how hard it is to diagnose the problem with such limited information.

I upgraded to rev 2.5 last week and the new unit wrapped labeled 11-25 maps but when I checked the firmware it had 109 instead of 110. So I would check the firmware and reload the maps again.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

Guys its very possiblhe that his unit is defective.
Vishnu sent me a defective unit( I believe it was the harness that was defective) had to get a new one.
They sent me a rev2.5 with a rev 3 harness so basicaly i cant connect my usb to anything! Im going to have to get a new harness now.. But wtv Im running it like this till this ontario winter is over.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

I would just reload the firmware and maps instead of guessing and waiting around. It works 9/10 times and takes all of 2 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #22
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I actually experienced the same issues he's seeing, and I've done 10s of jB4 and Procede installs locally. My guess is the wiring harness is messed up, never did fix mine, since it took forever to get any type of answer from vishnu, but that was the only thing I can think of.

Was going to try installing a friends into my car and all that, but just went an easier route.